Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocked at the OP. Clearly has gone into his shell after getting am almost unanimous disagreement on his thread. Laughable to even suggest he was beaten. Can hold his head high.

He was a regular senior player at North, and not when they were a dud side either. I remember thinking for ages that I wish we never got rid of him,
I don't think we had a choice, he wanted to go to Adelaide. I think his Dad had something to do with it also.

I think Ben has the ability to a great defender, but he is lacking confidence at the moment. The thing that struck me from last Saturday's game was the look on his face - he looked very anxious and sick from fear. IF he can string some games together and start to feel as though he belongs I think he will be great. He has the speed, height etc to be a great match for Riewoldt.

In the last quarter he had a shit load of pressure on him 1v1 with his opponent on the lead.

Did very well to not give away a free kick.

He also saved us one other time with a good spoil.

Thought he was the most solid I've seen him in his shot career.

Didn't get beaten yesterday and used the ball fairly well. No idea how you could come to the conclusion after that game. There are still question marks over how he will fair against better forwards, but if anything, yesterday was encouraging.

But your OP and follow up posts have raised such valid points, I'll reconsider my stance.

I'm going on what I've seen in his 9 games.
A the very best he's going to be a back up if a 3rd string backman goes down.

As I have maintained from Day 1, Ben Reid is a wasted first round draft pick.

It is his fourth season and he has never shown even a scintilla of improvement in any game he has had in the Seniors. Not even a flicker.

His 20 metre turnover pass in the first quarter in front of the MCC stand under no pressure was woeful and indicative of his lack of talent.

Nathan Brown and Ben Reid = opportunity lost.

Some posters on here worship so much they cant see the forest from the Reids.

It is his fourth season and he has never shown even a scintilla of improvement in any game he has had in the Seniors. Not even a flicker.

His 20 metre turnover pass in the first quarter in front of the MCC stand under no pressure was woeful and indicative of his lack of talent.

Yes his 1st Qtr was not great but he got better as the game went on. In the last 5 Minutes he made a very good 1v1 Spoil that helped us win the game

I think he is the player that will be a fb or chb in the future but he really needs too improve with his pace he struggles to keep with the forwards he is on and also he needs time to develop and also the dees match was his first afl match as a deffender so i think he should still be given a chance.

He was a regular senior player at North, and not when they were a dud side either. I remember thinking for ages that I wish we never got rid of him, when we tried the likes of Brent Hall and Tristen Walker unsuccessfully in that position. Often he would trouble our key forwards, so I thought he did alright. Was devistating to North when he was burnt. Its funny how everyone sees a different picture. I wonder what North fans thought of him in general?

Don't want to derail the thread but sometimes his career gets overblown because of the Bali thing.

I admit that coming back from those burns was an unbelievably courageous thing to do but even before that he was struggling to have an impact.

It is more than likely that he would have been delisted if Bali hadn't of happened. I would put him on par or maybe just below Leigh Brown.

I wish you would go swimming in the Murray and get caught in the reids. Really mate I looked at your last 10 or so posts and if you reckon your a supporter well fu<k me start supporting. So Ben hasn't improved 1 % you reckon. I'm a really pessimistic supporter but your........I don't know what you are actually, maybe keep your thoughts to yourself.:(

Our supporters are giving me the sh*ts this week. Sure be angry at our below average performance but don't turn on our own unnecessarily. Wait until it is warranted!

Reid has the skill, of that I have no doubt. You only had to watch him in the VFL at the end of last year to see he has what it takes. He just seems to have a severe case of a deer in headlights when he gets the call up to the main squad. Give him time and he will overcome this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like previously stated he needs too string some good games together, and he would be scared only its natural. Gregenthing had it in for since the word go and I wonder if he'll give him some praise and eat his words if Ben improves significantly. Isn't that a maggot?....like a gent:p

I'm not going to write him off based on his game against Melbourne, and I really don't think he has had enough experience at the highest level to judge his ability. But I will add, its a concern he hasn't been able to cement a spot in our best 22 to date, when you consider he went at number 8 overall in the 06 draft.. In that same draft we took nathan brown at 10. But barring selwood and perhaps boak that was a reasonably weak draft IMO

I'm not going to write him off based on his game against Melbourne, and I really don't think he has had enough experience at the highest level to judge his ability. But I will add, its a concern he hasn't been able to cement a spot in our best 22 to date, when you consider he went at number 8 overall in the 06 draft.. In that same draft we took nathan brown at 10. But barring selwood and perhaps boak that was a reasonably weak draft IMO

If I recall he only qualified for that draft by a week or two. Was very young. I wont be writing him off just yet.

^ 2 days. Or to put it another way, under current rules he would have been ineligible for the 2006 draft by 3 months, 29 days.

He's played 9 games, I've seen most of his 9 games live and from what I've seen the guy is not up to AFL standards.

He's been played forward, he's shown that he has no idea up there what so ever. That kicking style was laughed at by many, he was touched up yesterday by a sub par player in the backline.

He can't kick, can't mark, can't run and can't tackle at AFL standards.

I think the_fresh is taking the p1ss here. Wanting, by reverse psychology, to elicit some positive comments

Anyhow, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

He can certainly run, can certainly kick and whilst the 'deer in the headlights' may be a legit comment at this stage, the kid is 20yrs old and who'd be a whole lot better ,at that age and stage, playing for the Pies in a KPD position?

It may be that he is just one really good performance, on a star CHF, away from being hailed the next big thing in Pieland.

Hope he gets his chance next week ( with a little back up hopefully.)
Whover gets the job next week would be hoping for someone to chop off the leads a bit.

Please MM can we not donate them the corridor and leave Roo one out on whoever?

Was one of few to win their position for us. His opponent only had a couple of touches and one goal. That one goal came from a bullet past in the perfect spot to reward his lead, yet Reid showed excellent closing speed and missed the spoil by centimetres. Is exactly the sort of defender we need, give him time and experience and he'll be a rock for us.

I wish you would go swimming in the Murray and get caught in the reids. Really mate I looked at your last 10 or so posts and if you reckon your a supporter well fu<k me start supporting. So Ben hasn't improved 1 % you reckon. I'm a really pessimistic supporter but your........I don't know what you are actually, maybe keep your thoughts to yourself.:(

Wishing that I die is a good response!

Take your own advice, you dont know me, thankfully for both of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back