Test Benaud Qadir Trophy 3rd Test Pakistan v Australia @ Lahore March 21-25

What will be the result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all the time but often in test cricket especially when the conditions are not dictating that there has to be a result, you genuinely have to be prepared to lose in order to be prepared to win.

I applaud cummins’ approach. It’s brave, maybe stupid, but it’s the method with the most chance of winning the series
Is it my own risk aversion that can't reconcile the risk losing to win? I see it as risk drawing to probably win and it seems a much better option. It's not sexy but geez drawing feels heaps better than losing. Maybe that's a me problem.

They made 148 in the 1st innings of the 2nd Test and then made 7/443 in the 2nd. I think people in cricket underestimate the likelihood of unlikely things happening. Just because something hasn't happened before or didn't happen before doesn't mean it can't happen.
True but the scoring rates didn't improve, they batted 180 odd overs for 440, that's still 2.5 or thereabouts, on a relatively flat dejck.

Again this declaration changes the dynamic from playing poorly and getting a draw to playing poorly and (possibly) getting a loss. People will say that's aggressive but for mine it shows a lack of a competitive or ruthless streak to never want to give your opponent a break. However, I'm not completely ignorant of the fact that this could be due to my own cognitive biases.
You see people are never happy. Some have complained about how Cummins didn't enforce a follow on last test match and wasn't ruthless enough. For me a couple of wickets here and Pakistan will in damage control mode.

Is it my own risk aversion that can't reconcile the risk losing to win? I see it as risk drawing to probably win and it seems a much better option. It's not sexy but geez drawing feels heaps better than losing. Maybe that's a me problem.
No for a team that hasn't so much as drawn a series in the subcontinent for what must be coming up to a decade, you'd think they'd put a little more value on not losing another series.

True but the scoring rates didn't improve, they batted 180 odd overs for 440, that's still 2.5 or thereabouts, on a relatively flat dejck.

You see people are never happy. Some have complained about how Cummins didn't enforce a follow on last test match and wasn't ruthless enough. For me a couple of wickets here and Pakistan will in damage control mode.
I'm just one person and I think I've been very consistent on this particular topic. I was happy with Cummins tactics in the last test.

My issue with declarations like this isthat people think bowlers are robots but they aren't, giving up 6 in an over when you are faced with a draw/win situation means nothing giving it up on last day when the opposition need 3 an over to win has to get inside their heads and impact the way they bowl especially for a rookie like swepson.

Still think it is in Australia's interest to have the immovable top 4 of Pakistan thinking about the chase rather than just bunkering down a la Karachi. Their defensive techniques are all so rock solid in these conditions that the best bet is to get them taking risks. It's basically the only way that Shafique has gotten out all series.

Usually I'm not one for aggressive declarations, but legitimately here if Australia had gone on for another 5-10 overs for +50 runs then factoring in less overs tonight for Pakistan (and probably less intent) then they are looking at 350 on the final day-- Pakistan would be closing up the bazaar from ball one tomorrow. We've already seen how long they can stick around doing that.

Even if they are 2-3 down at tea with 120 to get, they will have to take some risks then to go for the win and expose their long and weak tail.

we have gone from a very strong position to 2nd favorites in a session

disappointing...big fightback needed

A 50 run plus opposition partnership and on cue the pessimists and doom and gloom merchants arrive, how predictable..!

While one or two wickets prior to stumps would of been good, Pakistan have a huge mountain to climb here in a record breaking pursuit, consider:

A. 107 overs is the longest 4th innings ever batted on this ground, Pakistan must 'survive' 121.

B. A run rate of 3.0 runs/over must be maintained during 90 overs for victory - thus far Pakistan's best R/R day is this series is 2.3 runs/over.

C. 208 runs is the highest successful 4th innings run chase at this venue, Pakistan need 351..!

Including the fact it's a day 5 dry crumbling pitch, if Pakistan can somehow overcome/achieve any of the above targets, then I'll be happy to join the inevitable 'Stupid Cummins, nonsense declaration!' pile on - but I seriously doubt that will be the case...

Last edited:
Missed that last 2 sessions due to work, how did we bowl?

Was the ball getting any movement?

Was hoping to have them 2 down by end of day but unfortunately not, still think they have a lot to chase tomorrow, would rather them chasing it instead of blocking out the whole day, like that we have left the door open.

A 50 run plus opposition partnership and on cue the pessimists and doom and gloom merchants arrive, how predictable..!

While one or two wickets prior to stumps would of been good, Pakistan still have a huge mountain to climb here, consider:

A. 107 overs is the longest 4th innings ever batted on this ground, Pakistan must 'survive' 121.

B. A run rate of 3.0 runs/over must be maintained during 90 overs for victory - thus far Pakistan's best R/R day is this series is 2.3 runs/over.

C. 208 runs is the highest successful 4th innings run chase at this venue, Pakistan need 351..!

Including the fact it's a day 5 dry crumbling pitch, if Pakistan can somehow overcome/achieve any of the above targets, then I'll be happy to join the inevitable 'Stupid Cummins, nonsense declaration!' pile on - but I seriously doubt that will be the case...
Good stats!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends who you are.
Maybe because australia has been so rank on the road particularly in Asia/Middle East, a draw is a much more positive result than it might have been in the 90-2010 era but this is a side that has somehow become ranked #1 against all reasonable logic so a draw to me doesn’t sound that appealing.

Like I’m a West Indies fan I’ll take a draw most series against most opponents I guess but we are a team who are almost conditioned to losing so I’m happy to forfeit a bigger chance of winning in order to firm up the draw. I didn’t think most Australians would’ve thought the same way

Between his unconverted scores and the numerous dropped chances, Smith will feel very responsible if we lose the series tomorrow.

Definitely poor from Smith but at this point some of the blame has to go to Cummins and the other decision makers for not moving him.

I'd say it's now also on Smith to put his hand up and volunteer to go somewhere else.

Lyon got a few to really turn early on so this pitch looks different from the last two.
Pakistan also bought in a quick bowler for an all-rounder this game so they are more likely to shut up shop if some wickets fall in a clump.
We are looking good for at least a draw.

It depends who you are.
Maybe because australia has been so rank on the road particularly in Asia/Middle East, a draw is a much more positive result than it might have been in the 90-2010 era but this is a side that has somehow become ranked #1 against all reasonable logic so a draw to me doesn’t sound that appealing.

Like I’m a West Indies fan I’ll take a draw most series against most opponents I guess but we are a team who are almost conditioned to losing so I’m happy to forfeit a bigger chance of winning in order to firm up the draw. I didn’t think most Australians would’ve thought the same way
Maybe if we were in India in 2004 or something where we hadn't won for eons but had drawn previously. Then I'd be willing to risk it. But we haven't even drawn in the subcontinent for yonks. I'd absolutely take a draw against Pakistan ahead of tours of India and SL, given the pitches etc.

No for a team that hasn't so much as drawn a series in the subcontinent for what must be coming up to a decade, you'd think they'd put a little more value on not losing another series.
Who's to say they're losing this one? There's still 280 runs to be made on Day 5, and the overall run rates for this Test indicate that may be a difficult chase, especially if they lose a couple of quick wickets. The declaration was a good one, still is. You can't make an omelet without breaking an egg.

Who's to say they're losing this one? There's still 280 runs to be made on Day 5, and the overall run rates for this Test indicate that may be a difficult chase, especially if they lose a couple of quick wickets. The declaration was a good one, still is. You can't make an omelet without breaking an egg.
I don't necessarily think they will lose this one. I think they have unnecessarily risked a loss for negligible increase in their chance of winning. It would've likely taken about 5 overs to get another 40 which would've put the game beyond doubt. The likelihood of those 5 overs being the difference seems quite remote to me. That said, I think it is still more likely than not that they either win or draw.

I've been shitting all over cummins captaincy so give him props when he does well. Great declaration. Results kinda irrelevant now because hes been willing to risk losing it to win. That's good captaincy

It was actually perfect. Enough runs to ensure we couldn’t lose and MORE than enough time to bowl them out.
Rubbish. Wasn't perfect. You should give the oppo a sniff because it lends itself to more wickets. Batting the other side out of the game is boring defensive captaincy

These pitches suck, only time wickets fall is when it starts reversing out of no where.. very sporting declaration, if these 2 batsmen bat 90 overs tomorrow Pakistan probably win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Test Benaud Qadir Trophy 3rd Test Pakistan v Australia @ Lahore March 21-25

Back