Bendigo FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I see on Kynetons Facebook page they’ve announced a new signing Steve Georgiou does our resident Kyneton expert have any info on him for us?

I see on Kynetons Facebook page they’ve announced a new signing Steve Georgiou does our resident Kyneton expert have any info on him for us?
Massive get for the club. He was the travel Buddy I was referring to with Crosier in previous post.

Very close to landing a 3rd traveller for the trip down who has played state league footy for many years.

30 odd on the track tonight with 12 currently in isolation from Covid, with 4 or 5 more at cricket training.

Hoping to announce a couple more past locals coming back to the club in the next fortnight, and then can turn our focus to round 1

Super player and good friend of Crosier. Played in a very successful side in Rowville in the Eastern FNL.

Really good get for the Tigers.

Massive get for the club. He was the travel Buddy I was referring to with Crosier in previous post.

Very close to landing a 3rd traveller for the trip down who has played state league footy for many years.

30 odd on the track tonight with 12 currently in isolation from Covid, with 4 or 5 more at cricket training.

Hoping to announce a couple more past locals coming back to the club in the next fortnight, and then can turn our focus to round 1
Whose the other past locals potentially returning Tigs? If one of them is Page who went to Darley a few years back then big your boys might be in for a sharp climb up the ladder which is great for the comp. if the Tigs improve and the other clubs maintain there form from last year to have at least 7 teams vying for finals the league would be very happy with that makes for a more interesting comp.

Rowville haven't Won a Flag since 2012 according to their website.
Haven’t won a flag but have progressed from the lowest division of the league and now well and truly established in the Premier division. Really strong club on and off field and he has been a key player in their success.

Need to remember flags are not always a good measure of the sustained success of a club such as Rowville.

Whose the other past locals potentially returning Tigs? If one of them is Page who went to Darley a few years back then big your boys might be in for a sharp climb up the ladder which is great for the comp. if the Tigs improve and the other clubs maintain there form from last year to have at least 7 teams vying for finals the league would be very happy with that makes for a more interesting comp.
Page seemed pretty content at Darley when I last crossed paths with him but no one would fault him for returning home,
Good fella & more than a few in our comp would be happy to not have to play against him.

Condolences to the Gisborne footy family on tbe passing of former champion Jordan Barham….super player and from all reports a great bloke. Thoughts are with his family, friends and everyone at that great club
Incredibly sad news for the Gisborne footy club, the Barhams are a great footy family, I think everyone in Gisborne would know them.

Interesting to compare this forum with the GV forum chat. Two leagues of similar standings. This is up to 7 pages of chat… the GV up to page 30!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it’s pretty simple Bootz. The forum readers and supporters of the BFNL like myself are tired of the continued dominance of the same sides for many years. It is just like Groundhog Day each year. With this highly likely to continue I can’t see much changing. Some good players coming into the competition in 2022 but the stronger clubs seem to always be well positioned to extinguish any potential challenger.

I think it’s pretty simple Bootz. The forum readers and supporters of the BFNL like myself are tired of the continued dominance of the same sides for many years. It is just like Groundhog Day each year. With this highly likely to continue I can’t see much changing. Some good players coming into the competition in 2022 but the stronger clubs seem to always be well positioned to extinguish any potential challenger.
Yep agreed. Hard to see much changing this season. Can’t see anyone beating strath when it matters although I think gisborne will give it the best crack. Sandhurst probably the weakest they have been for 5-6 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep agreed. Hard to see much changing this season. Can’t see anyone beating strath when it matters although I think gisborne will give it the best crack. Sandhurst probably the weakest they have been for 5-6 years
If Kyneton can improve, and it sounds like they should, we could have 7 teams in contention for finals this year, which would be the first time in a long time. Maybe not all flag contenders, but hopefully it makes for a more interesting home and away season.
In my opinion, the only way to have a league where all 10 teams compete would be to reduce the salary cap of the higher up teams. So the lower teams essentially would then have more points and more money. To be sustainable you couldn’t increase the lower sides cap, as they likely haven’t got the money to spend, so reduce the higher teams from the current cap. I get that they would try find ways around it like every club does but it would make it much harder. Thoughts?

If Kyneton can improve, and it sounds like they should, we could have 7 teams in contention for finals this year, which would be the first time in a long time. Maybe not all flag contenders, but hopefully it makes for a more interesting home and away season.
In my opinion, the only way to have a league where all 10 teams compete would be to reduce the salary cap of the higher up teams. So the lower teams essentially would then have more points and more money. To be sustainable you couldn’t increase the lower sides cap, as they likely haven’t got the money to spend, so reduce the higher teams from the current cap. I get that they would try find ways around it like every club does but it would make it much harder. Thoughts?
Dilutes the league as the better player will move on chasing a fair and reasonable pay day. If all leagues had to reduce different story but wont work in only BFL. Easier way is to scrap the whole points and salary system and go back to pay whatever you think the club can afford to win a premiership. And conversely don't pay as you haven't got the cattle to do so and need to start a slow build. Most country footy over the last 30+ years has had boom/bust cycles and clubs, as long as they are managed, I don't see points or salary caps have improved the situation. Makes the AFL feel good that they think they have levelled the playing field but who really believes that?
Country footy needs volume of players to build a supporter base, so they come out and see what they have got. Open the floodgates, its time.

Dilutes the league as the better player will move on chasing a fair and reasonable pay day. If all leagues had to reduce different story but wont work in only BFL. Easier way is to scrap the whole points and salary system and go back to pay whatever you think the club can afford to win a premiership. And conversely don't pay as you haven't got the cattle to do so and need to start a slow build. Most country footy over the last 30+ years has had boom/bust cycles and clubs, as long as they are managed, I don't see points or salary caps have improved the situation. Makes the AFL feel good that they think they have levelled the playing field but who really believes that?
Country footy needs volume of players to build a supporter base, so they come out and see what they have got. Open the floodgates, its time.
We have short memories regarding before the salary and points system and country clubs, were raided by metro clubs that could pay a shitload more, than country clubs and we had 10-15 guys going from club to club where each time they left a club they had to find an additional 15 guys.

I'd think it needs to be refined it regards to the points, where instead of having a max points, have a minimum number of 1 point players such as Bendigo clubs should have a minimum 15 one point players in their side.

It's there to try keep clubs more sustainable in the future

Agree with the salary cap. Points system has been a debacle and killed clubs at the bottom.

How are you meant to improve when you can't go out and bring in gun players because the points don't let you.

Agree that it dilutes the league, though I can’t think of a better alternative to try and close the gap between the top and bottom. I’m not convinced that removing the cap and points is the right way to go - the rich will get richer and the poor get poorer in my opinion. It’s been same same for years as to who’s been a genuine flag contender, and save for a couple of cameos from a couple of sides (South and Kyneton), and a brief slump by Gisborne a couple of years back, we nearly know the final 5 most seasons before round 1. It’s a fine balancing act - the tough question to answer is would you rather a lower standard but more even league, or maintain the current standard yet quite predictable league.

........ It’s a fine balancing act - the tough question to answer is would you rather a lower standard but more even league, or maintain the current standard yet quite predictable league.
We know the answer to this by looking at the National Comp. If it was just standard it would be reduced back to 8 teams. Most footy supporters loved the Melbourne and Bulldogs GF and that has only been achieved by the National Competition being the most constrained competition on the planet with salary caps, drafts, non-free movement of players and equalisation payments. Over the last 30 odd years, we have seen teams relocated, merged and added to the competition.

It's about time the "big brains" at AFL HQ applied those same principles to Country Footy. There is not one simple item but changes to competition structures (teams) player payments, and points are all considerations. What I think we all want is to go to a game where both teams have a chance of winning.

Agree with the salary cap. Points system has been a debacle and killed clubs at the bottom.

How are you meant to improve when you can't go out and bring in gun players because the points don't let you.
It hasn’t really worked how I thought it would.
As it currently stands Castlemaine have 6 more points then Strath. That’s not even 2 x A grade recruits.
The gap between Strath and Maine is far bigger then 6 points.

Unpopular opinion but I think there should be some sort of deduction at the top. Eg if you win the premiership, you lose points.

Premiers - 5 points (can only go to a minimum of 30)
Runner Up - 3
3rd - 2
4th - 1
5th
6th
7th + 1
8th +2
9th +3
10th + 5 (capped at 50).
If you can’t get off the bottom with 50 points, potentially 20 more points then another side, then no manner of salary cap or player points will help you.

Same amount of points stays in the league, but the points get distributed on performance.

Agree that it dilutes the league, though I can’t think of a better alternative to try and close the gap between the top and bottom. I’m not convinced that removing the cap and points is the right way to go - the rich will get richer and the poor get poorer in my opinion. It’s been same same for years as to who’s been a genuine flag contender, and save for a couple of cameos from a couple of sides (South and Kyneton), and a brief slump by Gisborne a couple of years back, we nearly know the final 5 most seasons before round 1. It’s a fine balancing act - the tough question to answer is would you rather a lower standard but more even league, or maintain the current standard yet quite predictable league.
No one seems to be giving credit to the top 5 teams remaining the top 5 teams. They are working just as hard as the bottom 5 teams to do this.
As stated by Truck 6 points isn't going to change Castlemaine's fortunes as its one good quality player. But 10 players recruited that are 5 pointers wont fit into the constraints applied to the clubs so points and salary cap to go for me.
Making the league weaker by not being able to secure the best talent to play is farcical, but that's what AFL have dreamt up with the system introduced.
If Castlemaine had everything going really well club wise, and spent double every other club's player salary, went undefeated and won a premiership, there would be 2 camps. One that says its unsustainable and the other that says they have been belted for so long a bit of success doesn't hurt.
Salary cap and player points WILL NOT change the plight of some of these clubs on a downward trajectory. Success might though and you will only get that being able to attract some gun players.

No one seems to be giving credit to the top 5 teams remaining the top 5 teams. They are working just as hard as the bottom 5 teams to do this.
As stated by Truck 6 points isn't going to change Castlemaine's fortunes as its one good quality player. But 10 players recruited that are 5 pointers wont fit into the constraints applied to the clubs so points and salary cap to go for me.
Making the league weaker by not being able to secure the best talent to play is farcical, but that's what AFL have dreamt up with the system introduced.
If Castlemaine had everything going really well club wise, and spent double every other club's player salary, went undefeated and won a premiership, there would be 2 camps. One that says its unsustainable and the other that says they have been belted for so long a bit of success doesn't hurt.
Salary cap and player points WILL NOT change the plight of some of these clubs on a downward trajectory. Success might though and you will only get that being able to attract some gun players.
Most guys don't want to take a challenge of playing for a bottom team, we have the Kevin Durant effect, where if you're a good player, you go to a top team and win a flag. You don't go to a struggling club and try get them up the ladder.

My point is if you golden square, Strath, sandy, Gizzy, Eaglehawk play with a minimum 16, 1 point players, Kyneton, south 14, 1 point players, and flat, Maryborough on 12 and go for you life on the other players it would shorten the gap between sides.

You could also add a cola like additional to the salary for clubs further away from metro and regional centres, eg it's harder to get guys to go to Maine and Maryborough due to their locations, than Bendigo where people move for work, should they have 10-20k more salary?

As it currently stands Castlemaine have 6 more points then Strath. That’s not even 2 x A grade recruits.

Unpopular opinion but I think there should be some sort of deduction at the top. Eg if you win the premiership, you lose points.

Runner Up - 3
3rd - 2
4th - 1
5th
6th
7th + 1
8th +2
9th +3
10th + 5 (capped at 50).
If you can’t get off the bottom with 50 points, potentially 20 more points then another side, then no manner of salary cap or player points will help you.

Same amount of points stays in the league, but the points get distributed on performance.
Good point truck

We know the answer to this by looking at the National Comp. If it was just standard it would be reduced back to 8 teams. Most footy supporters loved the Melbourne and Bulldogs GF and that has only been achieved by the National Competition being the most constrained competition on the planet with salary caps, drafts, non-free movement of players and equalisation payments. Over the last 30 odd years, we have seen teams relocated, merged and added to the competition.

It's about time the "big brains" at AFL HQ applied those same principles to Country Footy. There is not one simple item but changes to competition structures (teams) player payments, and points are all considerations. What I think we all want is to go to a game where both teams have a chance of winning.
The points and salary was brought in because country clubs couldn't get close to matching metro clubs for players. The open market was killing country footy, there was bugger all ex AFL players going to the country, even know they struggle to compete with enjoyment, even though they have slightly greater salary now.

Runner Up - 3
3rd - 2
4th - 1
5th
6th
7th + 1
8th +2
9th +3
10th + 5 (capped at 50).

After looking at round 1 last season. The points system doesn’t look like the problem getting the bottom sides to come up.
This is what was used/allocated in round 1

Stath 33/40
E/H. 40/40
Square 32/40
Sandhurst 33/40
Gis. 28/40
Kyn 38/47
South. 36/47
Mary. 33/47
Flat. 31/50
Cast 27/47

Remove this Banner Ad