Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It's good to see hopefully clubs around Castlemaine do the same, Campbell's creek could merge with Maine and try get a couple of games there each year
Hell will freeze over before that ever happens. Lots of long standing animosity between both clubs and unfortunately they can’t put it behind them. Considering the plight of both clubs, a merger may not necessarily be a success on field initially but at least it would consolidate footy in the town which isn’t travelling too well in the short term.

Hell will freeze over before that ever happens. Lots of long standing animosity between both clubs and unfortunately they can’t put it behind them. Considering the plight of both clubs, a merger may not necessarily be a success on field initially but at least it would consolidate footy in the town which isn’t travelling too well in the short term.
Stranger things have happened, a few guys need to park their egos, for the betterment of footy in Castlemaine, look at Cohuna and union they merged, Beulah and Hopetoun, Ouyen and walpeup all had fierce rivalries, I don't there was a fiercer rivalry then cohuna and union in country footy, yet they been merged nearly 30 years

4 minutes into 3rd at QEO and Sandhurst ball movement giving Square a bit of trouble. Square missing Toma in 2nd half with injury. Square slowly getting their game plan going. Great arm wrestle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People think just coz clubs are close to each other they should be the first options to merge with. They forget that the close proximity also brings years of rivalry that, sometimes, can't be overcome

People think just coz clubs are close to each other they should be the first options to merge with. They forget that the close proximity also brings years of rivalry that, sometimes, can't be overcome

Many of the most successful mergers have actually been between very much Archrivals.
Cause there’s actually a care factor.
Clubs merging with another club that there’s no passion with wether good or bad isn’t a great way to start a new club.
Care factor becomes zero real quick

This isn’t just in regards to footy

Many of the most successful mergers have actually been between very much Archrivals.
Cause there’s actually a care factor.
Clubs merging with another club that there’s no passion with wether good or bad isn’t a great way to start a new club.
Care factor becomes zero real quick

This isn’t just in regards to footy
True... but there are some that will never merge and it sounds like Castlemaine and Campbell's Creek might in that bracket

Castlemaine might not be looking for a merger at all.

After all the off-season turmoil they seem to have emerged with a good crop of kids intact who are having a real go each week and improving.

They have absolutely no depth but if they all stay healthy there's starting to be some optimism about pinching some more wins against some of the other sides in the bottom rungs.

A 3 - 5 win season might not seem much on paper but it would be a bloody great effort from all concerned.

Castlemaine might not be looking for a merger at all.

After all the off-season turmoil they seem to have emerged with a good crop of kids intact who are having a real go each week and improving.

They have absolutely no depth but if they all stay healthy there's starting to be some optimism about pinching some more wins against some of the other sides in the bottom rungs.

A 3 - 5 win season might not seem much on paper but it would be a bloody great effort from all concerned.

They absolutely were competitive at times on the weekend and good on em but if they aren’t looking at merging with someone then they have rocks in their head.

You are right there is no depth and there was absolutely no supporters in attendance whatsoever and that’s just as important.

A merger will help bring more people to the club…it will not bring immediate results and no one should be expecting that but it will ensure that there are chances of more people being around the club and less competition

They absolutely were competitive at times on the weekend and good on em but if they aren’t looking at merging with someone then they have rocks in their head.

You are right there is no depth and there was absolutely no supporters in attendance whatsoever and that’s just as important.

A merger will help bring more people to the club…it will not bring immediate results and no one should be expecting that but it will ensure that there are chances of more people being around the club and less competition
Agree mate, this garbage that we don't need to merge, will end with clubs around Castlemaine being completely lost, when the last time a Castlemaine and district team won a flag!

That’s harsh, wasn’t the biggest crowd you’ll see at the Camp but most of the teams in Bendigo would love to get that many on a quiet day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that is exactly why community footy is cooked
Yes, notice he said “community” footy. Guessing he wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on beyond the VAFA, and certainly what’s going on in country footy. The fact the AFL appointed Brad Scott as head of football Victoria (another ex-APS boy) shows how little they care about it. Country footy, a la the old VCFL, should be its own entity and run by people in the know. Not some private school boy in AFL house.

And first order of business - scrap the salary cap and points system.

Yes, notice he said “community” footy. Guessing he wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on beyond the VAFA, and certainly what’s going on in country footy. The fact the AFL appointed Brad Scott as head of football Victoria (another ex-APS boy) shows how little they care about it. Country footy, a la the old VCFL, should be its own entity and run by people in the know. Not some private school boy in AFL house.

A guy like Jim cail should be in charge of AFL Victoria

Agree, the Salary Cap and Points System has done nothing for the sustainability of Country Football

Last edited:
That’s harsh, wasn’t the biggest crowd you’ll see at the Camp but most of the teams in Bendigo would love to get that many on a quiet day.
Why don't Maine think outside the square, why not with the arty north Northcote crowd someone does a welcome to Wrexham style doco on the club, I'm sure that would generate community involvement, players coming, coach etc to climb up the bfl ladder, it is the home club of Ronald Dale barrassi

4 minutes into 3rd at QEO and Sandhurst ball movement giving Square a bit of trouble. Square missing Toma in 2nd half with injury. Square slowly getting their game plan going. Great arm wrestle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This was one of my rare opportunities to watch a BFNL game and I enjoyed it. At the start of the year the Addy said how far Sandhurst go into the finals will depend on the availability of their VFL aligned players. I think this comment was spot on. Lachie Tardrew in particular makes a massive difference to the Dragons. In my opinion poor kicking for goal cost Square the premiership last year. Against the Sandhurst they had the same problem again. They missed sitters then Dragons took it down the other end against the flow of play and goaled. Matt Thorton in particular took his opportunities. Bourke and Brett are very good players, but they miss a lot of goals from set shots. (Brett is more dangerous on the ran).

A certain contributor from down south who is good on canteen discussions, but otherwise goes missing when his team, (or teams as I still cannot work out if he follows Gisborne or Kyneton) is not going so well knocked Sandhurst and South for their lack of supporters. Well the Dragons had plenty of support last Saturday.

I totally agree with the comments that Castlemaine need to be looking at merging with other clubs. Maryborough likewise. As hard as some very dedicated people are trying, they just cannot go on the way they are. To be frank they are destroying their respective supporter bases. Clubs need to be competitive to draw good crowds.

Forgot my tips last week as I was away with work so I’m claiming I got all 5 and this is what I think for this week
Gisborne 35 points
Kyneton 80 points
Square 45 points
Strath 13 points
Eaglehawk 90 points

Why don't Maine think outside the square, why not with the arty north Northcote crowd someone does a welcome to Wrexham style doco on the club, I'm sure that would generate community involvement, players coming, coach etc to climb up the bfl ladder, it is the home club of Ronald Dale barrassi

Barassi senior played there, junior lived with his grandparents and went to school in Guildford while he was young, but played his football in Melbourne.

Interesting to see Eaglehawk happy to discuss resting players this week in public.

Must have forgotten how that almost went last season.

Interesting to see Eaglehawk happy to discuss resting players this week in public.

Must have forgotten how that almost went last season.

What do you mean?

They are a very different team to last season and have blokes who are known for picking up injuries.

They are just being honest about that rather than bullshitting

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back