Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

My point to ponder is that if you merged two more MCDFNL clubs together, where would the excess players go?

Would they cross over to Castlemaine or Maryborough, or another MCDFNL club, or a club in another league or would they give the game up altogether?

I'm not overly sure that players would head to one of the Bendigo league clubs in that instance because normally the players that are displaced are more likely to be the fringe players who might struggle to get a game. If a merged entity was going to lose most of the best players from each club then it would defeat the purpose of a merger.

What would a young player see as the better prospect - a game in the Bendigo league reserves or in the MCD seniors with a few $50 notes going into your pocket?

Last edited:
I’m sorry Trent but that’s simply not correct.

The old two many teams is continually promoted as the key issue but in reality it’s a minor one in the scheme of things.

The truth is Maryborough and Castlemaine could have one team each and they would still not compete with the Bendigo clubs in the long term.

When you factor in population trends, demographics, socio economic factors such as employment level, living costs and higher education uptake as well as the communities financial base and then mix that with what we know about participation trends and retention rates per age group then the comparison just doesn’t stack up.
How can clubs with those populations not be able to compete, rochester, Leongatha, maffra, corowa, colac are all smaller or similar in size, even add in echuca. How do these clubs manage? This woo is me from castlemaine is getting tiresome, the same club that produced the filos, Oliver etc, dusty suddenly can't develop their juniors or say bfl clubs poach their players. Geographically you're far better placed than all of the clubs listed above.

I’m sorry Trent but that’s simply not correct.

The old two many teams is continually promoted as the key issue but in reality it’s a minor one in the scheme of things.

The truth is Maryborough and Castlemaine could have one team each and they would still not compete with the Bendigo clubs in the long term.

When you factor in population trends, demographics, socio economic factors such as employment level, living costs and higher education uptake as well as the communities financial base and then mix that with what we know about participation trends and retention rates per age group then the comparison just doesn’t stack up.
The clubs themselves have stated that one of the biggest challenges they face is the number of clubs within area and that amount of clubs all trying to attract players from that pool

How can clubs with those populations not be able to compete, rochester, Leongatha, maffra, corowa, colac are all smaller or similar in size, even add in echuca. How do these clubs manage? This woo is me from castlemaine is getting tiresome, the same club that produced the filos, Oliver etc, dusty suddenly can't develop their juniors or say bfl clubs poach their players. Geographically you're far better placed than all of the clubs listed above.

Because you are comparing apples with bananas, oranges, peaches and pears.

There’s a myriad of factors influencing every club and league and they are unique to each of them.

The heart of the issues with country footy is the AFL has not engaged the sort of experts that can produce insights into these factors and instead keep trotting out the same old school thinking.

Because you are comparing apples with bananas, oranges, peaches and pears.

There’s a myriad of factors influencing every club and league and they are unique to each of them.

The heart of the issues with country footy is the AFL has not engaged the sort of experts that can produce insights into these factors and instead keep trotting out the same old school thinking.
Your biggest problem is that the AFL doesnt care about country football. All they are worried about is appearing inclusive. Sadly your clubs problems will only be resolved from within so stop wanting someone to appear with a magic wand to fix them. Stop waiting for someone, do it yourselves. Country clubs need to leave the AFL behind and determine theyre own futures.

Last edited:
The predicament maryborough and cadtlemaine find themselves in, is directly linked with the mcdfl. There's too many clubs and not enough players. To see a maryborough and cadtlemaine prosper in a major league, there needs to be less clubs and better relationships between the minor league clubs and 2 major leagues. If nothing happens, the same problems will remain in 5 years.

They could add newbridge into the league possibly too

There are way too many factors to consider why football is struggling around Maryborough and Castlemaine and too many clubs and dwindling populations are just one. I could write a thesis with my thoughts on the issues and it also includes the amount of money being splashed around on players who realistically do not deserve the remuneration they are receiving based on the standard/ level of football they are playing. It is because clubs are like seagulls fighting over chips and will do whatever it takes in some instances to just get another player.

On a positive note, Maryborough FNC held their ball on Saturday night with a fantastic turn out. As I have said many times, we are struggling on field but continue to be going very well off field and financially sound. We have some big decisions to make going forward but the club is still in good hands and it was fantastic to see so many in attendance having a great time. Through adversity comes opportunity and despite the troubles on field, there are still lots of positives which augers well for the future.

Last edited:
Your biggest problem is that the AFL doesnt care about country football. All they are worried about is appearing inclusive. Sadly your clubs problems will only be resolved from within so stop wanting someone to appear with a magic wand to fix them. Stop waiting for someone, do it yourselves. Country clubs need to leave the AFL behind and determine theyre own futures.

Crazy is a man of many talents but I’m not sure even he can change societal fundamentals on command!

Yep, it reminds me of the self-victimisation present in some of the Metro comps regarding the changing demographics of their area.
Sure, there may be challenges but surely it's the responsibility of the clubs to win the hearts and minds of their local communities. It can't always be someone else's job to look after your interests.

Now that this shiny new council has allegedly been appointed (is it actually official yet?) ... how about getting down to business straight away and try to fix the steaming turd that is Central Victorian football?

Apparently, they have to get their secret handshake worked out before they actually start their jobs.

Now that this shiny new council has allegedly been appointed (is it actually official yet?) ... how about getting down to business straight away and try to fix the steaming turd that is Central Victorian football?

Apparently, they have to get their secret handshake worked out before they actually start their jobs.
AGM Wednesday night. Imagine they'll be front and centre.

What would you like them to do that will “fix” the issue that is not just affecting this region?

I would hope that council members would meet with EVERY club in their jurisdiction by the end of this season and ask them what they are currently happy and not happy with in their league, the future plans of the club and also how they would like football and netball in the Central Victorian region to look. Then they can spend the summer compiling a plan and they can present it to the leagues and clubs early next year for implementation in 2026. If it gets knocked back by the leagues or clubs at least they are seen to making an effort.

I want to see this council be hands-on, be seen and be doers not just AFL lackies and yes-people who are there for the polo shirt and jacket. If clubs say they need assistance with training, compliance with rules, etc. then the council should try and assist the clubs (even though there are things that leagues should be doing - remember the club with a new committee a few pages back that were told to contact another club's secretary for guidance instead of being directed to the Sport & Recreation Victoria website).

We haven't seen an investigation into football in most areas of the state since pre-Covid days. The Goldfields region was screaming out for leadership in 2018 but all they got was "let's merge the MCDFNL with the CHFL" after consulting with virtually no-one - the predictable result was upheaval and rebellion from the clubs. In the Goulburn Murray region in 2018 or 2019, there were some who were asking for the hierarchy to look into a southern league involving some KDL clubs, some O&K clubs and the likes of Broadford, Yea and Alexandra. Nothing happened. The only action that I can recall came in Gippsland when the WGFNC was created and AFL Barwon this year with their two-division structure for 2025.

The simplest thing they can do is listen to the clubs in all of their leagues, analyse the information they receive and act for the benefit of football in the region, not just for one league or even one club. The AFL won't take the initiative so the council needs to do it.

Few will sh!t-can them if they are seen to be proactive and try and help football and netball in the region. They will continue to attract condemnation if they do what the commission did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are way too many factors to consider why football is struggling around Maryborough and Castlemaine and too many clubs and dwindling populations are just one. I could write a thesis with my thoughts on the issues and it also includes the amount of money being splashed around on players who realistically do not deserve the remuneration they are receiving based on the standard/ level of football they are playing. It is because clubs are like seagulls fighting over chips and will do whatever it takes in some instances to just get another player.

On a positive note, Maryborough FNC held their ball on Saturday night with a fantastic turn out. As I have said many times, we are struggling on field but continue to be going very well off field and financially sound. We have some big decisions to make going forward but the club is still in good hands and it was great to see so many in attendance having a great time. Through adversity comes opportunity and despite the troubles on field, there are still lots of positives which augers well for the future.
Where do you personally want to see maryborough play guru?

I would hope that council members would meet with EVERY club in their jurisdiction by the end of this season and ask them what they are currently happy and not happy with in their league, the future plans of the club and also how they would like football and netball in the Central Victorian region to look. Then they can spend the summer compiling a plan and they can present it to the leagues and clubs early next year for implementation in 2026. If it gets knocked back by the leagues or clubs at least they are seen to making an effort.

I want to see this council be hands-on, be seen and be doers not just AFL lackies and yes-people who are there for the polo shirt and jacket. If clubs say they need assistance with training, compliance with rules, etc. then the council should try and assist the clubs (even though there are things that leagues should be doing - remember the club with a new committee a few pages back that were told to contact another club's secretary for guidance instead of being directed to the Sport & Recreation Victoria website).

We haven't seen an investigation into football in most areas of the state since pre-Covid days. The Goldfields region was screaming out for leadership in 2018 but all they got was "let's merge the MCDFNL with the CHFL" after consulting with virtually no-one - the predictable result was upheaval and rebellion from the clubs. In the Goulburn Murray region in 2018 or 2019, there were some who were asking for the hierarchy to look into a southern league involving some KDL clubs, some O&K clubs and the likes of Broadford, Yea and Alexandra. Nothing happened. The only action that I can recall came in Gippsland when the WGFNC was created and AFL Barwon this year with their two-division structure for 2025.

The simplest thing they can do is listen to the clubs in all of their leagues, analyse the information they receive and act for the benefit of football in the region, not just for one league or even one club. The AFL won't take the initiative so the council needs to do it.

Few will sh!t-can them if they are seen to be proactive and try and help football and netball in the region. They will continue to attract condemnation if they do what the commission did.

Yep, genuine presence, consultation and engagement is a must

Wanting them to meet with every club seems unrealistic.

Let's not forget these people are volunteers, we can't expect them to devote every second of their lives to this. As long as they stay approachable and visible rather than hidden away like the commission I'll be happy.

I'm not saying that they all meet as a collective with each club.

The council could allocate the clubs equally between council members (do it geographically so council members aren't travelling all over the place) and the council member then meets with one club (or a even cluster of clubs) each fortnight or so and do this sometime between now and the end of the year. They could do it as part of their engagement with clubs.

Say for example each council member was allocated eight clubs. They could meet with four clubs as a group and also meet with the other four one-on-one. Then they report on what information they receive to the council and the council goes off, combines all the reports together and comes up with a final proposal.

Last edited:
Where do you personally want to see maryborough play guru?
Trent I am personally not too sure at this stage and will just let our process run its course before I make a decision. I can see merit in a number of options although in a town of Maryborough's size, I would like to see a team in a 'major league'. Maryborough has had a team in either the Ballarat or Bendigo leagues for a very long time and I think we should have some form of pathway for players to participate in a higher standard of football. There is significant work involved for this to continue successfully considering our current plight but it can be achieved. The question is do others see it this way or are there other (and possibly) better options available.

Ultimately I would just like to see the club survive as its own entity due to what is stands for and the 150 years of history but even that may not be achievable.

The process so far is going well and is certainly thorough.

Mortlock Watcher, some good thoughts there.

In regards to the AFL Goldfields review, it was comprehensive and clubs were engaged through the process. The reasoning why there were issues post review was those involved in the administration of the Central Highlands League had a 'bee in their bonnet' with the old commission and wanted nothing to do with the outcomes that were handed down.

This resulted in clubs not wanting to speak up and give their support to the review due to potential ramifications which was disappointing as I know a large number of clubs in both Central Highlands and the MCDFNL were open to change due to the lop sided nature of both leagues (which continues to this day).

I had a bit of involvement in this review and couldn't speak highly enough of how the process was conducted. It was disappointing it did not come to fruition.

With the new Council, they will be meeting with clubs and I am confident we will get a good hearing. I think the appointments are good ones as they have good backgrounds (including football) and will have the best intentions for making football better in the region. Let's hope there can be some positive change although it will certainly take some time to gather information. I trust the 'loudest voices' do not hijack these meetings (as has occurred previously) and nothing then happens.

Mortlock Watcher, some good thoughts there.

In regards to the AFL Goldfields review, it was comprehensive and clubs were engaged through the process. The reasoning why there were issues post review was those involved in the administration of the Central Highlands League had a 'bee in their bonnet' with the old commission and wanted nothing to do with the outcomes that were handed down.

This resulted in clubs not wanting to speak up and give their support to the review due to potential ramifications which was disappointing as I know a large number of clubs in both Central Highlands and the MCDFNL were open to change due to the lop sided nature of both leagues (which continues to this day).

I had a bit of involvement in this review and couldn't speak highly enough of how the process was conducted. It was disappointing it did not come to fruition.

With the new Council, they will be meeting with clubs and I am confident we will get a good hearing. I think the appointments are good ones as they have good backgrounds (including football) and will have the best intentions for making football better in the region. Let's hope there can be some positive change although it will certainly take some time to gather information. I trust the 'loudest voices' do not hijack these meetings (as has occurred previously) and nothing then happens.
How is the chfl lobsided? Every team has won a game by round 9, two of the bottom three have won premierships in recent seasons
The other team has played in the last two grand finals.
It has too many teams but it’s not lobsided

If
How is the chfl lobsided? Every team has won a game by round 9, two of the bottom three have won premierships in recent seasons
The other team has played in the last two grand finals.
It has too many teams but it’s not lobsided
If you take a long term view Bazza it is a lop sided competition with the league being dominated by the same clubs such as Hepburn, Gordon and Buninyong. Clubs such as Clunes, Creswick, Ballan and Carngham Linton have not got a hope in hell of winning a premiership in both the short and long term. As you mentioned there are way too many clubs and the changes that were proposed in the review would have alleviated this and made football for many clubs far more competitive and provided an opportunity for greater success.

I'm not saying that they all meet as a collective with each club.

The council could allocate the clubs equally between council members (do it geographically so council members aren't travelling all over the place) and the council member then meets with one club (or a even cluster of clubs) each fortnight or so and do this sometime between now and the end of the year. They could do it as part of their engagement with clubs.

Say for example each council member was allocated eight clubs. They could meet with four clubs as a group and also meet with the other four one-on-one. Then they report on what information they receive to the council and the council goes off, combines all the reports together and comes up with a final proposal.
Im in my sixties. As a kid I can remember in the 60s and 70s going with the old man once a month on a Sunday to Charlton for a monthly meeting of NCFL delegates. I cannot see any improvement in how the NCFL was run then as to how it is now. When the AFLCENTRALVIC board was initiated it was supoosed to streamline admin and create less work for VOLUNTEERS. I think if you asked any secretary in the 6 leagues who came under the control of the board life at that time life didnt get any easier. Add in a massive rise in affiliation fees,the introduction of points/salary cap systems and I think life for all in country vic footy has become a much harder place to be. Really why do we need the AFL to tell us how to suck lemons when the lemons were sweet for 120 years before they took over. Afl love to contribute to pride rounds, indigenous rounds and whatever passes for inclusivity but put stuff all back into grassroots(they will tell you they put 90 million into womens footy last year),but country footy takes a back seat. Just my opinion as someone who has been involved with footy for 60 years I m probably wrong but thats my take on it.

I can see merit in a number of options although in a town of Maryborough's size, I would like to see a team in a 'major league'. Maryborough has had a team in either the Ballarat or Bendigo leagues for a very long time and I think we should have some form of pathway for players to participate in a higher standard of football.

I wonder if the attitudes of potential recruits from MCDFNL clubs would be different if the option was to play for Maryborough in the Ballarat league instead of the Bendigo league. Maybe playing at a higher level in Ballarat is more attractive for them than what they know with Bendigo?

Im in my sixties. As a kid I can remember in the 60s and 70s going with the old man once a month on a Sunday to Charlton for a monthly meeting of NCFL delegates. I cannot see any improvement in how the NCFL was run then as to how it is now. When the AFLCENTRALVIC board was initiated it was supoosed to streamline admin and create less work for VOLUNTEERS. I think if you asked any secretary in the 6 leagues who came under the control of the board life at that time life didnt get any easier. Add in a massive rise in affiliation fees,the introduction of points/salary cap systems and I think life for all in country vic footy has become a much harder place to be. Really why do we need the AFL to tell us how to suck lemons when the lemons were sweet for 120 years before they took over. Afl love to contribute to pride rounds, indigenous rounds and whatever passes for inclusivity but put stuff all back into grassroots(they will tell you they put 90 million into womens footy last year),but country footy takes a back seat. Just my opinion as someone who has been involved with footy for 60 years I m probably wrong but thats my take on it.

Great post.

I wonder if the attitudes of potential recruits from MCDFNL clubs would be different if the option was to play for Maryborough in the Ballarat league instead of the Bendigo league. Maybe playing at a higher level in Ballarat is more attractive for them than what they know with Bendigo?

I don’t think many players care what level they play these days, there’s no pathway to a higher level anymore so every league is essentially the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back