Benny Gale to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

“Bad call Caro”
What about James Brayshaw? He’s got the platform and he managed to turn North around, and did alright at the Melbourne Renegades not bad for a bloke from SA.

Very different situations.

Benny Gale being tapped hard by the NRL to take over the helm and dig them out of the coronovirus hole.

NRL has form on targeting AFL types - Gillon was their first pick before they appointed Greenberg.

Benny fancies himself as AFL boss one day, and this could provide a great launching pad.

He's done tremendous work with the Tigers, you'd say pretty much job done there, this would provide a great new challenge.
Do you have ANY evidence to support your fishing trip?

Yeah, I can totally understand the risk. But hey, does just hanging round get you anywhere in life.

Gale's a good operator. Nobody internationally knows who Richmond is, so turning them around means squat.

But the NRL has international purchase. He turns that around and then does a session at the AFL and gets that humming again - he can start to look on the big stage imo.

Risk worth taking.
Rugby League has got hardly any international puechase itself, aside from a few small towns in the north of England.

“Bad call Caro”
What about James Brayshaw? He’s got the platform and he managed to turn North around, and did alright at the Melbourne Renegades not bad for a bloke from SA.
James Brayshaw from SA ????? Might have lived here and played for Redbacks but he was born and bred in WA

I am not particularly bothered by this. Gale is just another executive on a huge salary that doesn't do anywhere near enough to earn that salary.
What! I am happy to pay my membership and I have for many years. He obviously does a good job 🤣. Rather be helping Benny get the big dollars than our piss poor politicians who I have no respect for.

Isn't the mail they are chasing Lathlain from the Saints...

Given he was behind Gil in the cue before his departure from HQ

Maybe, haven't heard that one.

Surely ah ... culturally ... not a great fit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Benny fit in with the Channel Nine boys club and will he get the important tick of approval from a certain NRL lovechild club?

IIRC he (and Brian Cook) was approached back in 2016 by the NRL to apply for the CEO position. They’ll be chasing him this time again but can’t see him taking it, he’ll be Gillon’s successor.

IIRC he (and Brian Cook) was approached back in 2016 by the NRL to apply for the CEO position. They’ll be chasing him this time again but can’t see him taking it, he’ll be Gillon’s successor.

Very different situation to 2016 but agree won't go.

He won't go and everyone knows it. You'd have to be itching for a payday or feel that you're so far down the pecking order elsewhere to take the NRL job. It comes with so much baggage and you'll likely end up sacked at the end because they expect miracles.

Maybe, haven't heard that one.

Surely ah ... culturally ... not a great fit?

On thr contrary, culturally he's a great fit. :rainbow:

Seriously though, a guy who was a 'rising star' in that type role but lost it due to conduct is exactly the type of person to take a swing at the NRL job. He's never going to climb the AFL ladder as high as he could've due to his history, but elsewhere the slate could be cleaner.

NRL won't ever accept a CEO from Melbourne or from an AFL background.
The NRL previously accepted as their CEO a banker with no previous sports administration experience in Dave Smith.
Not out of the realms of possibility they would try someone with an AFL background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Benny Gale to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back