• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If a footy journo receives a leak from an inside source that he/she knows is legitimate and reliable, and it relates to footy news (I.E. not personal affairs), I don’t see why the footy journo should need to call the club.

In my view, it is perfectly legitimate for the footy journo to run with the story and his/her reputation “lives/dies” by whether the story is found to be accurate.

I don’t see why a call to the club is required. The AFL and the clubs record on transparency for selection and injury news is extremely poor, our club included. If the footy journo rang the club, they would have given some non-answer or general answer.

I’m not defending Morris, generally. I don’t know him from a bar of soap and his recently disclosed comments got him what he deserved.
The key is that without the call he couldn’t possibly be 💯. It doesn’t mean he still can’t run the story but at least he has the clubs point of view.

What if the player was left out for mental health reasons or had a death in the family? What if his source was just BS?

I think there is a much bigger issue here. And it’s not about Morris. Morris is irrelevant to us.

It’s about Beveridge.

Beveridge is the most successful coach in our 100 years in the AFL.

He just came off a GF loss (which could have been different if a few things went another way in the 3rd quarter of the GF).

We have a great list which might be a couple of improved players/additions to the list away from another premiership. Our time is now.

Beveridge is universally loved by the club, the players and the fans. Me included.

It is extremely concerning to see him present that way after one round 1 loss against the reigning premiers which showed we are not far off the best again in the AFL. And to blow up about such a non-issue in such a public forum is odd.

It’s only the start of the season, but Beveridge looked very emotional and stressed.

I hope everything is okay and he is getting the support he needs. Maybe there isn’t much in it - maybe he was just having a bad day - but he did not present like a well person in that 3 minute press conference.
You have been hanging around Caro too long

Bevo has been emotional from day 1 it’s one of his strengths and yes like most people sometimes your strength can sometimes be a weakness. If I recall my education correctly it was the basis of many a Greek tradgedy play

i remember him blasting those knuckleheads on SEN before we had played a game in his first season for suggesting we were not aiming for the finals.

Bevo on Thursday night was no different to any other time other than the fact the grub was stupid enough to poke the bear and now has time at Centrelink to reflect on his choices

I agree with what you say about the personal/off-field news, but completely disagree on the rest.

This sort of stuff has been happening for the last 100 years and will continue for the next 100 years in sport.

BTW - just being devils advocate - but maybe it gave us the competitive advantage? Melbourne thought Hunter wasn’t playing - but he ended up playing.

At the end of the day - the best team won which is what occurs 99% of the time and the rest of this is white noise.
Wether it has ha for 100 years or will happen for another 100 years is not relevant to whether it’s right it’s called out kinda like sexism and racism

Wether it has ha for 100 years or will happen for another 100 years is not relevant to whether it’s right it’s called out kinda like sexism and racism

I don’t think what Morris did on the Hunter or Gardner story equates to racism or sexism. Unless there is more to it.

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree. Beveridge rightly apologised so he and we should all move on and focus on the season.

Wouldn't get too excited that the leaker has been found. Gordo also said there was a debutant last week, and look how that went. I do hope he's right this time though

Yer I was wrong on the debutant. I'm pretty sure I am right here though, if not I will close my account.
Hey Gordo, why do you think you ended up being wrong on the debutant? Was your sauce wrong or do you think Bevo changed his plans last minute?

Hey Gordo, why do you think you ended up being wrong on the debutant? Was your sauce wrong or do you think Bevo changed his plans last minute?
I think he changed his mind. I reckon he may have tossing and turning for a few days over a couple of spots and didn't work it out until very late. When they lost and didn't work for him, he was more angry than usual after the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Caro carry on is much worse the Bevo's tirade. Ok he overstepped the mark against someone who has proven since to have a gutter mouth. I hear not confirmed that Bevo has some personal issues he is currently dealing with that maybe affecting his demeanor but not his coaching credentials. Did Caro even bother do check this before basically questioning his ability to lead men. No all she wanted to do was to try and turn this into a bigger issue that it was and support another low life journo.

Last edited:
Bevo was very angry and referred to him being a Melbourne supporter, could also be possible that game day info was also passed on, hope not.

Not sure if I’m off the mark, but my understanding is that due to broader concerns around Hunter and the flow on effects to other players, Bevo wanted the capacity to manage the timeline of info.

Similarly with Smith, the clubs preference was to keep that a relatively private matter.

With Gardner, wasn’t the concern again that Bevo wasn’t able to communicate that to the player and team before it was public.

So in all three instances there was welfare implications that could have been handled by the club and still allows Morris to report if he had gone through the appropriate channels at the club.

Bevo was very angry and referred to him being a Melbourne supporter, could also be possible that game day info was also passed on, hope not.
"You barrack for Melbourne" That's lower secondary stuff. Ridiculous. Bev has to be better than that. I'm not, otherwise, going to say anything in case I say something.

Not sure if I’m off the mark, but my understanding is that due to broader concerns around Hunter and the flow on effects to other players, Bevo wanted the capacity to manage the timeline of info.

Similarly with Smith, the clubs preference was to keep that a relatively private matter.

With Gardner, wasn’t the concern again that Bevo wasn’t able to communicate that to the player and team before it was public.

So in all three instances there was welfare implications that could have been handled by the club and still allows Morris to report if he had gone through the appropriate channels at the club.
Morris could have been the model journalist re Bev and the Club. He'd still be unemployed and unlikely to get a gig at the Guardian. 2 issues conflated. Should our sympathies now veer towards Morris ?

Morris could have been the model journalist re Bev and the Club. He'd still be unemployed and unlikely to get a gig at the Guardian. 2 issues conflated. Should our sympathies now veer towards Morris ?
I have absolutely no sympathy for Morris. I don’t think the two issues are unrelated. I believe the way he acts professionally reflects who he is personally. Shit bloke and a gutter journalist.

I think there is a much bigger issue here. And it’s not about Morris. Morris is irrelevant to us.

It’s about Beveridge.

Beveridge is the most successful coach in our 100 years in the AFL.

He just came off a GF loss (which could have been different if a few things went another way in the 3rd quarter of the GF).

We have a great list which might be a couple of improved players/additions to the list away from another premiership. Our time is now.

Beveridge is universally loved by the club, the players and the fans. Me included.

It is extremely concerning to see him present that way after one round 1 loss against the reigning premiers which showed we are not far off the best again in the AFL. And to blow up about such a non-issue in such a public forum is odd.

It’s only the start of the season, but Beveridge looked very emotional and stressed.

I hope everything is okay and he is getting the support he needs. Maybe there isn’t much in it - maybe he was just having a bad day - but he did not present like a well person in that 3 minute press conference.
Nah Wetdog. Bevo lined him up and destroyed him and sent a mesage to the crass media cronies that surround him. I get your point about politeness, but that Morris the dirtbag deserved everything he got from Bevo and the Fox sacking.

Nah Wetdog. Bevo lined him up and destroyed him and sent a mesage to the crass media cronies that surround him. I get your point about politeness, but that Morris the dirtbag deserved everything he got from Bevo and the Fox sacking.
Let Morris deal with his demons, Bev blew it, leaders don't do that. Bev's the loser here.

Come on, Jock, you know, you know. You are from the Peoples Republic of Jockistan. Not original, I got that from Al Murray, the second funniest comedian I've met, so far.

I've seen Al Murray live in the UK a few times. He was brilliant

I've seen Al Murray live in the UK a few times. He was brilliant
He's on youtube. Kevin Bridges is even better but don't tell Scottydog. That Edinburgh performance with the Qld female lawyers in the front row, classic.

Last edited:
This is my 2 minutes worth. I think it's all that's needed. A few thousand of these (A5 size) held up around the ground should have a visual impact.

View attachment 1347945

(Deliberately avoided making it RW&B so that other clubs supporters can buy into it)
I've gone with "Üp YOURS OAKLEY" as inspiration :)

Attachments

• oakley.jpg
    oakley.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 57
Let Morris deal with his demons, Bev blew it, leaders don't do that. Bev's the loser here.
Standing up to bullies is exactly what leaders do. Bevo sent a strong message that we rarely see in society. If you are going to be unethical and attempt to profit from others suffering you are going to be publicly called on it.

The only thing he missed the mark on was his ability to control his emotions. If he had delivered the exact same message in a calmer tone he nails it.

He’s apologized for letting his passion get the best of him, which is fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back