• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's think about it here, Bevo's only loyalty is to his players and to the club. We all know what he's about in terms of looking after their wellbeing and their mental health and to my eyes (yes, he could have done it better) that is what has happened here.

He is standing up for his players, putting them first and if I was a player I would be in no doubt today that whatever happens on or off the field or with selection and the ups and downs, that the coach has my back and will protect me to the hilt.

Let's think about it here, Bevo's only loyalty is to his players and to the club. We all know what he's about in terms of looking after their wellbeing and their mental health and to my eyes (yes, he could have done it better) that is what has happened here.

He is standing up for his players, putting them first and if I was a player I would be in no doubt today that whatever happens on or off the field or with selection and the ups and downs, that the coach has my back and will protect me to the hilt.
Beautifully said

Sport journalism as an industry has lost any integrity it ever had and is completely unaccountable. Meanwhile AFL players and coaches are scrutinised for every little thing they do.
Those double standards are frustrating to me as an observer let alone someone whose job it is to nurture and protect players.

Journalists spruik fluff about mental health in one breath, then turn around and skewer someone in the next, generally without any source, evidence or stat to back their claims. 'That is my opinion' or 'my information' has become the motto of the b grade, sensationalist, unscrupulous 'journalist'.

If the AFL is at all serious about protecting the metal well-being of people who work in the industry they need to start holding journalists to account and start banning media commentators who don't adhere to a set code of integrity.

Let em have it Bevo.

Gerard Whateley confirmed on SEN this morning that Tom Browne should have called the club and at least notified them he was going to leak info. There are journalistic ethics in play here and Browne has history of continuously ignoring them and getting information wrong.
As big an f-wit as Browne is, this is the other Tom of the f-wit variety, i.e. Morris.

On the player welfare angle which Bevo mentioned last night, my understanding is that the story Morris broke last year about Gardner being omitted came out before Gardner himself had even been told - probably not a great way to find out you've been dropped for the biggest game of your career. The club was understandably furious. Morris then did the same thing the very next game (although Hunter probably already knew he was on the outer this time around).

I can see Bevo's frustrations based on this, coupled with team strategies being publicly broadcast to the opposition's advantage, although he obviously could have delivered the message a little more succinctly.

On the player welfare angle which Bevo mentioned last night, my understanding is that the story Morris broke last year about Gardner being omitted came out before Gardner himself had even been told - probably not a great way to find out you've been dropped for the biggest game of your career. The club was understandably furious. Morris then did the same thing the very next game (although Hunter probably already knew he was on the outer this time around).

I can see Bevo's frustrations based on this, coupled with team strategies being publicly broadcast to the opposition's advantage, although he obviously could have delivered the message a little more succinctly.
Exactly. Will this ever be brought up publicly?

As uncomfortable as I initially felt about the direct personal attack part of Bevo's comments (I would have been happy if he just omitted the "you're a Melbourne supporter" but still left in the "gutter journalism" references), a rethink in the light of day has me now happy to swing my full support behind Bevo. Sentiment was spot on, execution lacked a little in its wording, but f*** it, go get 'em Bevo.

Also, given the thread title refers to 'Berko Bevo' can we rename it so his opponent is also not accorded his actual name, but a more degrading and appropriate insult? Thanks in advance.

It's this kind of analysis that will be completely lost by the media brethren who will defend Morris and his 'right' to write or broadcast whatever he wants. The pack will not look beneath the surface, they won't look into Morris and his past reporting and leaking, his motives or anything like that. That would require some actual old fashioned journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes interchangeable f-wits.
A totally understandable mistake, it's getting harder to tell the f-wits in the media apart. It used to be easy as many of them were born f-wits (Morris, Browne, Cornes, Ralph, Robinson, Jones, Wilson), but many now seem to be assuming f-witedness by association (Whateley, Armstrong and their ilk).

I am keen to see f-wit adopted as the collective noun for AFL media hacks - in fact I challenge anyone to suggest a more appropriate one.
(I'm also on a crusade to stop people referring to AFL media as 'journos/journalists' as that suggests a level of analysis and skill largely lacking amongst nearly the entire cohort, with only a few notable exceptions.)

It's this kind of analysis that will be completely lost by the media brethren who will defend Morris and his 'right' to write or broadcast whatever he wants. The pack will not look beneath the surface, they won't look into Morris and his past reporting and leaking, his motives or anything like that. That would require some actual old fashioned journalism.
Virtually non-existent in the AFL landscape sadly, and has been for some time.

100% onboard with Bevo. Morris is a absolute stain. Wtf do you achieve telling the world a player would be dropped a day before it’s announced.

In addition, it’s really not ground breaking journalism noting that the whole squad and coaches would’ve known. It would be pretty easy to find out if you zoned in on the club and talked to a friend or two of one of the players.

Given the information shared was so minor it’s clear to me (like it is to bevo) he has snooped around the club looking for any dirt. I bet he hasn’t gone to same lengths with Melbourne.

Wonder if he wrote stories about Goodwin questionable record with regard to bullying, gambling on his own team our involvement in a performance enhancing peptide regime.

100% onboard with Bevo. Morris is a absolute stain. Wtf do you achieve telling the world a player would be dropped a day before it’s announced.

In addition, it’s really not ground breaking journalism noting that the whole squad and coaches would’ve known. It would be pretty easy to find out if you zoned in on the club and talked to a friend or two of one of the players.

Given the information shared was so minor it’s clear to me (like it is to bevo) he has snooped around the club looking for any dirt. I bet he hasn’t gone to same lengths with Melbourne.

Wonder if he wrote stories about Goodwin questionable record with regard to bullying, gambling on his own team our involvement in a performance enhancing peptide regime.
Plus watched the interview and I don’t even think he said anything out of line. All he did was question incompetent journalism.

Perhaps the person leaking the info to Tom Morris and to this board, plus others (Keath out for the prelim, hunter this week etc) should pull their head in.

It’s very interesting to see the sentiment amongst the general public. There’s actually a lot of support for Bevo out there. I agree that he probably went a little bit over the top with his delivery but the message was spot on.

For too long journalists have gotten away with being completely unaccountable for everything. I’ve switched off the the general footy media for the past few years because I find them all completely unbearable. Over saturated with a complete sense of self-entitlement and ego, it’s completely pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back