• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently bevos "attack" on Kane Cornes last year re. His comments on Treloar were ugly and bullying
Crazy how quickly they turn themselves into the victims. Caro, Barrett, Cornes and Morris are some of the worst offenders for launching personal attacks, and yet are all piling in and calling Bevo a bully. They have no shame

Everyone hates the footy media so it's easy to applaud someone who rips into them, but Beveridge reminded me of Malthouse with his surly, aggressive, sulky attitude and I couldn't stomach Malthouse's demeanour with the press when he was coach of Collingwood. The coaches can be every bit as arrogant and devious as the journalists. Playing the victim was one of Malthouses favourite ploys. It seems Bevo is doing the same. It's always a bad look after a loss too.

As for concern about player welfare, I'll bet there are plenty who have played under Beveridge who might feel he affected their mental health too. The same goes for any coach.

The footy media can frame bevos comments as bullying as much as they like, but all you have to do is take notice of the pack mentality displayed towards him by these gutless cowards like Caro/Barrett/Cornes to see who the real bullies are.

It would be awesome if this was 4D chess from Bevo:
  • Criticise muck-raking journalist but go a bit too far
  • AFL media fall over themselves to criticise him
  • Articles start to come out speculating on Bevo's mental health
  • Bevo highlights all those articles and asks if this is how journalists should be doing their job

I mean, it's not - he just had a bit of a rant because he doesn't like the guy and how he goes about his business and it went a bit far. But I'll live in hope :)

It's really is quite extraordinary the extent to which AFL "journalists" lack any kind of self-awareness. Here is Wilson calling for a "six figure fine" and Robinson claiming Morris should sue Beveridge, all the while claiming that Beveridge is mentally unstable. It's like they think they're allowed to say whatever they want with absolutely no consequence. No one can call them on it. They're completely untouchable. The moment someone dares to call them out and make an accusation against them, they'll start to pile on and act like it's them that's being victimised. Sorry, Ms. Wilson, but how long is it since you were last forced to publicly apologise for the lies you printed? I hope more coaches join Beveridge in calling out these so-called journalists for their bullshit. It's gone on for too long.

Wilson was, briefly, a half decent sports journalist. Sadly, most of her career has since involved instigating, and then fanning the flames, of the gutter/sensationalist reporting we all despise. She has less credibility than most, and that's saying something.

Many years ago (when their email was still published below their byline on Age articles), I respectfully took issue with some details in one of her articles about the team we fielded one particular week. She'd joined the popular pile on at the time of how short our backline was. I pointed out in the game she was actually referring too, we were actually comparably taller than our opposition, on a 1:1 basis. This didn't suit her narrative, and in her reply, she attacked me for daring to question her reporting, with the underlying implication that mine was a take based on sexism. I replied with examples of similar measured feedback, about 4 or 5 from memory, that I'd previously sent to other Age and HS footy reporters. Never heard from her again, but I knew a sub-editor at the Age at the time, who happened to ask her innocently on any recent feedback she'd received. She described me to him as a 'misogynistic Bulldogs supporter ignorant of facts' (verbatim quote). I then forwarded to him the actual email exchange I had with Wilson. He confirmed I had made no reference to her gender, nor even implied it, as I was careful to word my challenge to her article purely on the contents, not the author.

A very sad human being. And a very poor 'journalist'.

I'll try and make this the last thing I say on this issue because there's more important things going on in the world.

And I don't think I'm going to do this justice, but I'll try.

If you really care about someone you suspect may have mental health issues, you don't publicly discuss it like it's a bit of salacious gossip with your mates. You actually take the person aside and ask them if they're OK privately or you have a quiet word with someone close to them to ask them that question.

By making this 'concern' public, she has made it a put down and added to the negative connotation that people with mental health issues experience. This in turn stops people admitting they might need help.

And there's some prime examples of this happening with tragic consequences in AFL media circles in case she hasn't noticed (or forgotten about pretty quickly).

I'll try and make this the last thing I say on this issue because there's more important things going on in the world.

And I don't think I'm going to do this justice, but I'll try.

If you really care about someone you suspect may have mental health issues, you don't publicly discuss it like it's a bit of salacious gossip with your mates. You actually take the person aside and ask them if they're OK privately or you have a quiet word with someone close to them to ask them that question.

By making this 'concern' public, she has made it a put down and added to the negative connotation that people with mental health issues experience. This in turn stops people admitting they might need help.

And there's some prime examples of this happening with tragic consequences in AFL media circles in case she hasn't noticed (or forgotten about pretty quickly).
Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The relationship with your head coach, playing group and members seem like pretty important ones to manage too.

How does any of this really reflect in any way poorly on a sponsor like Mission anyway? “Gee whiz, I don’t like what bevo said there, I guess Mexican wraps are off the menu tonight”.
Head of Mission: "Damn, our brand is all over the news and we now have more exposure . What a terrible outcome"

To be honest, watching it back now Bevo seems remarkably measured. Pointing out what Sam Edmund and other journalists do, no swearing, barely raises his voice. If anything, Bevo seems to appear a little better after repeated viewings.

To be honest, watching it back now Bevo seems remarkably measured. Pointing out what Sam Edmund and other journalists do, no swearing, barely raises his voice. If anything, Bevo seems to appear a little better after repeated viewings.

It was the - leave the room, conflict of interest as a Melbourne fan and gutter journalism comments that I didn’t like.

It was the - leave the room, conflict of interest as a Melbourne fan and gutter journalism comments that I didn’t like.

Um, but it's true.....(oops! I was not to post no more!)

Any speculation about where the leaks are coming from?

Someone in Lachie Hunter's camp? (considering he was relegated to sub until the last minute).

I'm kinda loving all this by the way. I hope the club supports Luke.
Given Gardner's omission leak for last year's GF and the point of Bevo's speech is the media finding out before the players, we can exclude the playing group

Any speculation about where the leaks are coming from?

Someone in Lachie Hunter's camp? (considering he was relegated to sub until the last minute).

I'm kinda loving all this by the way. I hope the club supports Luke.
Depends if it's the same person that leaked Gardner's omission from the GF team last year. Could be one person, or two different people, considering some football dept staff have moved on since last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back