Trevanian

All Australian
Jun 20, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting reading from Geoff Roach;

Crows ready for the fight

CAN it possibly be seven years since Tyson Edwards was KO'd at the crucial stage of a Crows preliminary final against Collingwood?

That Vince has become an opposition target since his advent as one of the game's elite midfielders was more than confirmed against Essendon in last week's elimination final when the Crows principal creator was twice subjected to crude attacks to the head, well distant from the play

All of which not only made him best on ground but will have marked him indelibly in the minds of Collingwood's match day plotters as someone who has to be stopped tomorrow.

Stopped, moreover, by any possible means. Some of which might not necessarily rest within the laws of the game and could be disabling.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26055730-5016212,00.html

Think there is a chance that Vince could be lined up? He has definitely being targeted last few weeks, thankfully nothing but red faces for the would be tough guys. Or has the depth in the midfield dictate, that any Vince loss could be covered unlike back in 2002 when Tyson was vital an the loss felt much more than it would now?

i loved his response after the match when the interviewer asked him about this, he said he liked it :D, it wakes him up, bernies a smartarse, i think he expects it.

Does Collingwood have anyone that could do the job? I think Bernie is tough enough to cop what mids like Judd, Cousens, Ablett etc cop week in week out. He hands out a few decent whacks himself. For all that he was illegally targeted last week, he gave some back.

michael interchange malthouse knows all about having 1 less on the bench.. made it tough for them last week

The is is just nuts, on two fronts.

The Edwards comparison is nuts. As crude as the "spoil" attempt by Jason Cloke was, it was in play, not 100 metres off the ball.

The comparisons to last week are also nuts. Lovett-Murray and McVeigh both copped penalties at the tribunal for shots to the body, not the head. (McVeigh was charged with high contact by the MRP, but argued it down at the tribunal - NLM was only ever charged with body contact).

To say that because Essendon players were involved in a couple of incidents off the ball with Bernie that Collingwood will do the same thing is as dumb as saying that because Freo only kicked one goal against us, West Coast were likely to do the same.

Of course Collingwood are going to be as physical as they can with Vince. Just like I'd expect our boys to make sure if they tackle Didak, that he's as sore as possible when he stands up.

it would be teh first time we have ever done it

For the one that reckons our captain is over rated, who performed the shut down job on thompson and kicked 2 himself when we beat you in the final last year?

Also Jclo didnt purposely clean up edwards, thats a slur on his character and that if our coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either J Cloke hit him on purpose or he is one of the most uncoordinated defenders to ever play the game.. Could be either really I suppose
It was how he actually went to spoil, it always looked unco (and if you ever see him in the VFL he still spoils like that). That was the only time it caused an issue for him

But that was his spoiling style, it was even or tribunal defence (it was an accident due to a flawed technique

Either J Cloke hit him on purpose or he is one of the most uncoordinated defenders to ever play the game.. Could be either really I suppose

I haven't seen the incident for a long while, but always thought of him as a dog since that game and always thought it was intentional.

J Cloke's hit on Edwards was deliberate. No coincidence as Edwards was BOG at the time & having Macca off injured changed the course of the game. I'm confident of karma this weekend with the footy gods.

Some of our younger guns such as Vince have been targeted recently & it has been a good sign that they have kept their mind on the job. Pies may try & rough us up, but I doubt they will do anything stupid like Dons last week or Cloke will repeat his brother's actions.

Also Jclo didnt purposely clean up edwards, thats a slur on his character and that if our coach

Worst sentence construction in BigFooty history.

And just quietely i'll back Vince in against any of Collingwood's want to be tough boys.

Just watch them during that Richmond melee, they've only got the balls to go in 3 at a time. Very soft football side.

I think Bernie will be fine with being targeted. Playing senior country footy would have been a great apprenticeship.

Yeah, i play in the same league he played in. He's almost 10 years older than me, so i don't remember much of him in senior colts but he was very good in A grade. Of course it's completely different to AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie Vince a Target for Snipers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back