Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

This imo. Whilst we would like to play all 3, 2 of them plus Winderlich is a strong mark and a lot of Goddard down there when our midfield is fully fit is plenty of marking.

Carlisle replacing Fletcher down back when he's gone is starting to make more and more sense it seems.

Whilst our one key tall forward stood up and shone against the blues who have very weak tall defenders besides Jamison.

It got absolutely smashed against the best 3 tall defender combo in Mcpharlin, Dawson and M.Johnson. It showed we were at least one all short. They had Mcpharlin on Hardingham and i just knew he had zero chance especially when i looked 15 metres ahead and saw M.Johnson.

Our ability to not be able to make these guys really defend killed us and they were easily the best 2 on ground.

I think all 3 might be shown to be too tall and we have some really capable guys like Chapman, Goddard, Zacka, Hardingham, Winderlich ect who all have good hands or know how to lead and find space.

Whilst our one key tall forward stood up and shone against the blues who have very weak tall defenders besides Jamison.

It got absolutely smashed against the best 3 tall defender combo in Mcpharlin, Dawson and M.Johnson. It showed we were at least one all short. They had Mcpharlin on Hardingham and i just knew he had zero chance especially when i looked 15 metres ahead and saw M.Johnson.

Our ability to not be able to make these guys really defend killed us and they were easily the best 2 on ground.

I think all 3 might be shown to be too tall and we have some really capable guys like Chapman, Goddard, Zacka, Hardingham, Winderlich ect who all have good hands or know how to lead and find space.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you, we had Carlisle and Daniher only the last 2 weeks. The 4some of Daniher, Carlisle, Bellchambers and Ryder is too big, when we have Winderlich, Goddard, Hardingham and Ambrose who can mark down forward. We're too small currently, but I reckon 3 of them are the right balance.

Our best side (for me):

Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd
Stanton - Watson - Zaharakis
Chapman - Carlisle - Goddard
Winderlich - Bellchambers - Daniher
Ryder - Heppell - Hocking
Myers - Hardingham - J Merrett
Gleeson/Melksham/Howlett/Dalgleish

realistically Chapman, Winderlich and Fletcher will be managed so the last 4 will all play regular footy

Surely we cant be picking Merrett who has played 1-2 good games of AFL footy over Melksham who finished how high in our B&F last year?

If Hardingham has no role in our starting forward line he cant be putting the development of Gleeson and Melksham back even further. People are underestimating Gleeson IMO. Has been better than Merrett this year with what game time hes played.

Honestly I think Zaharakis (on form) is closer to being dropped than Merrett

agree, and before people say " he had 25 - 30 last week and the week before" i haven't noticed him in games this year, normally i see him take a couple of bounces and make a bullet pass and take note, in MY opinion i feel he hasn't had the impact this year that he did have last and the year before. not sure its just me or not. anyway, still looks "alright" but could be so much better

Hard to disagree. Career high stats but he's not impacting the contest.
Nup. Bias I'm afraid.
I have a bit of confusion regarding players numbers and I often think I am looking at a different player when in fact it is zaka. It always happens when he has done some fantastic chase or tackle. The guy is more best 22 than you could poke a stick at.

FB: Baguley Hooker Fletcher
HB: Dempsey Hurley Hibberd

Defence is settled. Over time though Carlisle will replace Fletcher.

M: Heppell Watson Stanton
R: Ryder Myers Hocking

Starting midfield offers a combination of stoppage power and endurance.

HF: Hardingham Carlisle Goddard
FF: Chapman Bellchambers Winderlich

The team needs a second ruck and a deep contested marking option, so Bellchambers plays out of the square. Daniher misses out due to structure, but with Carlisle moving he'll take that role over time. Perhaps Ambrose displaces Hardingham, but given injuries and particularly the durability of Chapman and Winderlich I expect him to play quite a bit regardless.

I: Zaharakis Merrett Howlett Melksham.

Zaharakis and Merrett offer important run, given the midfield as named is a bit slow. Howlett brings pressure. Melksham gets a gig on last year's efforts, for the moment.

And yet Gleeson, on form, is pretty clearly best 22.

No one else is close, despite all "my boys" to the contrary.

I think these 21 guys all deserve a best 22 tag during preseason, based on 2013 performances. Their spot to lose.
B. Baguely Hurley Fletcher
HB. Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C. Goddard Watson Melksham
HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman
F. Winderlich Bellchambers Kommer
R. Ryder, Heppell, Stanton
I. Myers, Howlett, Hocking, _______

Preseason training efforts combined with NAB cup performances gives the following guys a chance to take that 22nd spot and to out the guys listed above above.

I see guys like Daniher, Hardingham, J.Merrett, Dalgleish, Colyer, Kavanagh, Browne, Jetta, Pears, Edwards, NOB seem like the most likely contendors to become regular best 22 players, in rough order from most likeliest.

Hams, Gleeson, Ashby, Z.Merrett, have been spruiked as contendors for games, which is encouraging, but doubt they will become regulars yet. Hams and Ashby seems the best chance here.

Dell and Steinberg are getting good preseason reports but both are rookies.

Of the guys in my best 22, the at-risk guys who I think will need to perform in the NAB cup/early season are Kommer, Howlett, Hocking and Baguely.
Lamely quoting myself here. Since this time I'd take out Kommer and in Merrett and Hardingham.

B. Baguely Hurley Fletcher
HB. Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C. Goddard Watson Melksham
HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman
F. Winderlich Bellchambers Hardingham
R. Ryder, Heppell, Stanton
I. Myers, Howlett, Hocking, J Merrett.

Daniher and Gleeson stiff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad