List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

- Is McGovern being groomed as a key forward? Last I heard he was preparing to be a key back.
- That's a very tall forward line with no natural crumbers.
- In future push Sheed into the middle and Wellingham on to the wing.
- Not sold on Schofield as a key back. Seems to lack the size to compete with the big bodies.

McGovern has trained as a forward for three seasons now. Safe to say he's being trained in defence for the sake of positional flexibility. Which is what Simpson has verbalised as a clear need going forward.

Apologies for spraying Glen 20 on the Cripps debate, but my tried and tested spread sheet ranks him surprisingly high at 26. I think he will play a bit of footy this year and if he doesn't, 2014 will be the long goodbye. Going in slow (aka too tall) will burn you and he does add a bit of zip. He actually sits OK on the Maxy "can he play" meter.

For mine the bench cap at 120 rotations won't make much of a difference this year. It's at the upper end of where most clubs were anyway. If anything it may stifle the spiral towards minute on, minute off stuff but without time outs (they're coming!) I don't think 120 is that far from equilibrium.

As a point of interest, Ye olde excel still has Sammy B in our best 22, but I wonder? There where times last year when Sam was anything but (I love puns, even really bad ones) his normally composed self. He looked worried and hurried. If he, like Jamie plays little footy this year, it will be his his last and, on the balance of probabilities it might be anyway.

Well, I am on the other side of the fence. I don't know much about Butler but I can answer any Ellis questions if you like. I was a big fan of Ellis and hope he does well with you guys.

Ellis in a nutshell -
The Good -
  • Great football brain
  • He has very good delivery and when he strings games together is a very good user of the ball over 35 to 50 meters or shorter.
  • Great leadership qualities
  • Hard at the ball
The Bad -
  • His body struggles to handle his intent on the ball
  • Will take time to get touch and that will effect his decision making and possibly give off the idea he has poor delivery skills.
  • Is an inside mid with an outside mids body
  • Durability to last a game - It really cost us on a few key occasions.
  • Not overly quick but not a slug either
This description also reminds me of Beau Waters - to the letter. :cool:

An attempt at a different team:

Bennell Mackenzie Glass
Hurn Brown Ellis
Yeo Darling Gaff
Wellingham Kennedy Shuey
LeCras Cox Tunbridge

Naitanui Selwood Priddis

Sheed Schofield Rosa
Cripps

*Cough* Masten *Cough* Hill *Cough*

I think the above will take Cripps & Schofield's spots, with Tunbridge as the sub (so Masten on IC and Hill at FF). Swap Darling and Priddis and I'd expect that'd be pretty close to what we'll play in a week's time.

I expect Darling, Hill and LeCras to each take 2-3 clearances per game under Simpson. We should also have Wellingham, Shuey, Masten, Selwood and perhaps even Gaff capable of doing the inside work at center bounces so Priddis will likely get some time forward.

I expect Darling, Hill and LeCras to each take 2-3 clearances per game under Simpson
What do you mean by take 2-3 clearances ? Is that getting 2-3 clearances or taking field position for 2-3 stoppages ? If you think darling , lecca and hill will get 6-9 clearances between them a game you are dreaming ! The only one of those 3 I can see at drop of the ball is darling and only in 5 min bursts . When they say lecca and hill will push into the midfield I think they mean as outside mids pushing up the ground as marking targets on centre wing or half forward . I can think of 10 players more suited to stoppages . Not to say they won't be able to snag a clearance at a fwd stoppage just the bash and crash stoppage work will be left to others

What do you mean by take 2-3 clearances ? Is that getting 2-3 clearances or taking field position for 2-3 stoppages ? If you think darling , lecca and hill will get 6-9 clearances between them a game you are dreaming ! The only one of those 3 I can see at drop of the ball is darling and only in 5 min bursts . When they say lecca and hill will push into the midfield I think they mean as outside mids pushing up the ground as marking targets on centre wing or half forward . I can think of 10 players more suited to stoppages . Not to say they won't be able to snag a clearance at a fwd stoppage just the bash and crash stoppage work will be left to others

LeCras is already adept at clearances and reasonably savy around packs. Which is why he's got solid clearance numbers already. Not sure why you expect the player with the worst hands and the lowest clearance numbers to make the most impact.

Last year LeCras took 32 clearances (2.1 per game), including 6 center clearances (out of 15 games played).

Hill took 17 clearances (0.8 a game), including 5 at the center (20 games played).

Darling took 4 clearances (0.2 a game), none at the center (21 games played).

I think it's reasonable to assume that if we play our forwards in the center a bit more often this year, it will be Hill and LeCras who pick up more of the clearances. Darling might be played a bit more inside than the other two as well. I Hill and LeCras are both very good kicks so if they can be on the receiving end of our extractors I think that will help us a lot - it'll be much better than having Priddis or Selwood try to barely break out of the pack and then send a wonky kick over to the other team's half-backs.

Darling only managed to take the four for the entire season with ample situational opportunities to do so. Not sure why he'd be the one to transition into a larger stoppage role when hes not doing it naturally when situations present themselves. First step would be to play him up the ground more often and get him to more stoppage situations.

LeCras was picking up a clearance a game back in 2009/10 when he was playing deep forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1:

Bennell - Mackenzie - Glass
Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff
Darling - Kennedy - Masten
LeCras - Cox - Hill

Naitanui - Shuey - Selwood

Tunbridge - Yeo - Wellingham
Sheed

Feel like I'm missing someone.

Round 1:

Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff
LeCras - Cox - Hill

Sheed

That's close to what I'm thinking (and probably most others).

I'd swap Sheed and Tunbridge, although not too fussed about this.

I'm still uncertain of the final two defenders out of Brown, Schofield, Bennell, Butler, Carter, Sheppard etc. If I had to guess who the coaches had in mind at the moment I would go with what you had, with Schofield perhaps a surprise exclusion.

Round 1:

Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff
LeCras - Cox - Hill

Sheed

I don't think you're missing anyone, although personally from a development and potential point of view I'd hope that Shep is ahead of Bennell, so you switch Ellis to FB and Shep to HB.

But your team seems to be fairly accurate from what the coaches have been saying, haven't heard much on Schofield so don't know if we'll get the 2012 or 2103 version.

Round 1:

I think that is exactly the sort of position that we want to be in, the more competition for spots, the better. Not only will it promote a hunger amongst the playing group for starting 22 positions, but also in the event of injury, AFL standard fridge players that can come in and perform :thumbsu:

I think that is exactly the sort of position that we want to be in, the more competition for spots, the better. Not only will it promote a hunger amongst the playing group for starting 22 positions, but also in the event of injury, AFL standard fridge players that can come in and perform :thumbsu:
I'm not sure that we want fridge players coming into the team cold as it were.

Now we know the list and with a NAB Challenge game under our belt:

B: Yeo Mckenzie Glass
HB: Ellis Brown Hurn
C: Schofield Shuey Shepard
HF: Cripps Darling Gaff
F: Le Cras Kennedy Hill
R: Natanui Wellingham Masten

IC: Cox Sheed Selwood Priddis
Sub: Rosa

Essentially a team of midfielders based around the KPPs. Whilst I think Priddis is one-dimensional he should be able to fit in here if he is rotated regularly off the bench. His game against Fremantle was good, but there was a lack of intensity that mean he wasn't pressured into banging it on the boot or fist. I'd like to see him create space and pick options. If we are running like we did on Tuesday then it makes it easier for him.

Yeo, Ellis, Gaff, Le Cras, Cripps, and Darling can all run through the midfield if needed. our A-grade midfielders need to be Shuey, Masten, Wellingham, and Gaff with support from Priddis, Selwood (offensive shutdown role if needed), and the other guys who I mention can have stints on the ball if needed. I like Ellis's foot skills running off half back. Shepard is another who can do this role.

Our danger games in the first half a season are:

Geelong at Simmonds
Carlton at Etihad
Fremantle
Collingwood at MCG

I'd like to think we can go 8-3 after 11 rounds.

Close but missed:

Sinclair
Lycett
Hutchings
Wilson
Carter
Butler

Not up to it

McGinnity
Smith
Waters

Remove this Banner Ad