Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came 2nd in the TT to Weddle.
Strong mark, can kick a goal. Can move, is young. Over 200cm.
A lot to like.
All that and more, he has a huge upside. Not only his height and marking ability, he's very balanced below his knees for someone that height and has very good bursting speed.

If there's no injuries to bring him off the rookie list sooner he'll be getting a contract at the end of the year.
Oh, that's just my opinion of course ;):)

All his nine seasons mean is that he is a known quantity. It doesn't guarantee a spot in a young team - just ask Liam Shiels. Frost is an average to above average defender, who has good speed which enables him to play tall or small. That makes him a handy player, despite the occasional rush of blood to the head. Whether he plays BH this year will depend on how Morris, DGB and Jeka develop. There is a lot of competition for spots in the back half and Frost is no superstar.
Shiels I think we can all agree was well past his best. Frost is still a few years younger, and given the considerable lack of experience now in the side, I can’t see a world where we aren’t playing him in round 1. We just need as much experience on the park as we can get.

That said, his spot will be up for grabs if he doesn’t deliver, and I could see him overtaken as the year progresses, but suspect he will be given every chance to take that spot.

When was Frost ever dropped due to form?

Answer: never

Hasn’t darkened the door at Box Hill in his career, and you think he might play there in 2023 after we have cut our list to the bone?

He’s got 9 seasons of AFL experience.

He will play every game unless injured.
I feel like a lot of our back line players get marked quite harshly (Frost included).

But realistically we have been absolutely smashed in the midfield for the last 5 years straight which makes judging out backline tough as they are constantly under the pump.

I want to see how our backline players do once we have an at worst competitive midfield where they aren't under constant pressure. Once that happens we will probably get an understanding of how good players like Frost actually are.

Can someone explain where this “Weddle is a strange cat” notion has come from?
I'd be more inclined to say that Weddle is probably more normal than the average professional footballer who are a bunch of strange cats....

Frost is probably the worst kick on the list. If he's playing he'll be performing a shut-down role, not running off the HBF.

We have half a dozen players, Impey included, that are better suited to the role.
Harsh call when worpel is on the list. Frosty technically isn’t that bad a kick, in the past he tended to overkick when at high speed but last year I saw signs of him allowing for that more and taking a little of his kicks. Really like him think he needs to play as a lockdown defender with blanck allowing Sicily d3.

Harsh call when worpel is on the list. Frosty technically isn’t that bad a kick, in the past he tended to overkick when at high speed but last year I saw signs of him allowing for that more and taking a little of his kicks. Really like him think he needs to play as a lockdown defender with blanck allowing Sicily d3.

I said probably, there's nothing harsh about it. Worpel is right there with him though.

All his nine seasons mean is that he is a known quantity. It doesn't guarantee a spot in a young team - just ask Liam Shiels. Frost is an average to above average defender, who has good speed which enables him to play tall or small. That makes him a handy player, despite the occasional rush of blood to the head. Whether he plays BH this year will depend on how Morris, DGB and Jeka develop. There is a lot of competition for spots in the back half and Frost is no superstar.
Apples and oranges.

A 31 year old 6 foot midfielder who was an integral part of the arguably the worst performing midfield in the competition 2019 - 2021

A 29 year old 6’5” key defender who can play on all types and has walked back into our side from injury / suspension every time. He’s been a constant part of the one area (defence) that we all agree needs minimal attention as part of the rebuild.

Prior to pre season games I would guess our starting 22 round 1 2023 could be...

B: Hardwick, Blanck, Frost
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Day
C: Amon, Worpel, Morrison
HF: Moore, Greene, Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, Brockman
R: Reeves, Newcombe, Ward
INT: CJ, Meek, Weddle, C.MacDonald
Sub: Nash

EMER: Maginness, DGB, Stephens, Lynch, Kosi, Butler, Morris, MacKenzie

as the season develops DGB might take over from Frost, I think Greene could be a good source of goals for us, Brockman is looking good, hopefully helps the pressure in our forward line, it's hard to fit Scrimshaw, Day and CJ at 1 time, my starting 3 mids are Worps, Newc and Ward, but I expect MacDonald to challenge for a spot as well as Nash, Stephens and MacKenzie at points throughout the season, Reeves to play first Ruck as he has more team wins from hit outs and Meek to play the Forw/Ruck role, Weddle looks like he could start round 1, Lewis hopefully keeps up his 2022 form, Amon is looking keen for a big year at training, Newcombes penetrating kicks are useful, Maginness to get some tagging roles on dangerous opponents.

Last edited:
B: Hardwick, _______, Frost
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Jiath
C: Amon, Worpel, Day
HF: Moore,________ , Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, MacDonald
R: Meek, Newcombe, Ward

Reeves, Morrison, Impey, Blanck, Nash, Maginness, DGB, Stephens, Lynch, Greene, Kosi, Butler, Jeka, Morris, MacKenzie, Brockman, Weddle, O'Sullivan,

Last edited:
B: Hardwick, _______, Frost
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Jiath
C: Amon, Worpel, _______
HF: Moore,________ , Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, MacDonald
R: Meek, Newcombe, Ward

Reeves, Morrison, Blanck, Nash, Maginness, DGB, Stephens, Lynch, Greene, Kosi, Butler, Jeka, Morris, MacKenzie, Brockman, Weddle, O'Sullivan,
Day stiff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to pre season games I would guess our starting 22 round 1 2023 could be...

B: Hardwick, Blanck, Frost
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Day
C: Amon, Worpel, Morrison
HF: Moore, Greene, Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, Brockman
R: Reeves, Newcombe, Ward
INT: CJ, Meek, Weddle, C.MacDonald
Sub: Nash

EMER: Maginness, DGB, Stephens, Lynch, Kosi, Butler, Morris, MacKenzie

as the season develops DGB might take over from Frost, I think Greene could be a good source of goals for us, Brockman is looking good, hopefully helps the pressure in our forward line, it's hard to fit Scrimshaw, Day and CJ at 1 time, my starting 3 mids are Worps, Newc and Ward, but I expect MacDonald to challenge for a spot as well as Nash, Stephens and MacKenzie at points throughout the season, Reeves to play first Ruck as he has more team wins from hit outs and Meek to play the Forw/Ruck role, Weddle looks like he could start round 1, Lewis hopefully keeps up his 2022 form, Amon is looking keen for a big year at training, Newcombes penetrating kicks are useful, Maginness to get some tagging roles on dangerous opponents.
Impey stiff to not even make the emergencies - I’d have him in the side over Weddle at this stage… just to add some experience…
Kosi deserves another chance to be the 2nd key forward IMO was really good in his 1st year but struggled when forced to help in the ruck…I’d have him over Greene

Impey stiff to not even make the emergencies - I’d have him in the side over Weddle at this stage… just to add some experience…
Kosi deserves another chance to be the 2nd key forward IMO was really good in his 1st year but struggled when forced to help in the ruck…I’d have him over Greene
Kosi doesn't lead. When in the VFL the fans on the fence had to yell at him to lead, and then he would.
He isn't up to it

The opposite is true. Worpel has more up side as a former Peter Crimmins medal winner. neither Maginness nor Nash can make this claim. Worpel only needs the recapture the form that won him a b and f

One thing is sure. If we pick players on their past form we will never win a premiership in the future.

A 2019 Worpel is an asset. I see no reason why he cannot recapture that form. It’s above the shoulders with him.
100%. With neither Mitchell nor O'Meara there, we should see him return to this form. However, he could well start the year out of the team, and as TylerDurden said above me, "He's got a bunch of young guns breathing down his neck."

Maginness showed last year that he was one of the best taggers in the comp against both inside bulls like touk miller and outside wingers like langdon. There were also times he showed glimpses of his own midfield skill to win the ball and break forward (kicking still needs work).

Where do we think he goes from here? Continue to be a tagger, get let off the chain and rack up 30 touches?

Does he have the ability to play as a lockdown forward on a rebounder? Say play on someone like Daicos (if he stays half back) and stop their rebound game and also hit the scoreboard.

I loved when Jordan Lewis played on Heath Shaw who was having an AA year but clearly had never dealt with hard attention nor had such a talented match up. Heath had I think 20 touches (mostly from kick outs) 10 clangers, 4 out on the full, caught htb a few times and Lewis kicked 5 goals.

Maginness showed last year that he was one of the best taggers in the comp against both inside bulls like touk miller and outside wingers like langdon. There were also times he showed glimpses of his own midfield skill to win the ball and break forward (kicking still needs work).

Where do we think he goes from here? Continue to be a tagger, get let off the chain and rack up 30 touches?

Does he have the ability to play as a lockdown forward on a rebounder? Say play on someone like Daicos (if he stays half back) and stop their rebound game and also hit the scoreboard.

I loved when Jordan Lewis played on Heath Shaw who was having an AA year but clearly had never dealt with hard attention nor had such a talented match up. Heath had I think 20 touches (mostly from kick outs) 10 clangers, 4 out on the full, caught htb a few times and Lewis kicked 5 goals.
Happy for him to keep performing the tagging role given the scalps he's been able to claim. But would like to see him try to run off his opponent to hurt them the other way.

Happy for him to keep performing the tagging role given the scalps he's been able to claim. But would like to see him try to run off his opponent to hurt them the other way.
Averaged 12.5ish possessions in 2022 with 1ish Clearance.

Would be unreal if he could somehow increase to 3 Clearances a game & 16+ possessions whilst maintaining his negating performances.

Averaged 12.5ish possessions in 2022 with 1ish Clearance.

Would be unreal if he could somehow increase to 3 Clearances a game & 16+ possessions whilst maintaining his negating performances.
To me we will win games this year running other teams off their feet, Finn always seemed to be at both ends to help out last year. I still think his best role is inside mid who can kick goals too which it sounds he is being encouraged to do the latter when he can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back