Unofficial Preview Best 23 2025 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seen people on many different posts here wonder how the heck next years lineup will look with four good players returning from ACL injuries, two guns in Ashcroft and Marshall coming in through the draft and a possible Joe Daniher retirement.

So why not speculate here! Here’s my crack:

B: Starcevich Andrews Lester

HB: Coleman Payne Zorko

C: Fletcher McCluggage Berry

HF: Rayner Hipwood Lohmann

F: Cameron Morris Ah Chee

Fol: McInerney Neale Dunkley

Int: Bailey W.Ashcroft L.Ashcroft Smith Wilmot

Defensive seven of Andrews, Payne, Lester, Starcevich, Zorko, Coleman and Wilmot.

Offensive seven of Hipwood, Morris, Ah Chee, Rayner, Cameron, Lohmann and Smith.

Inside Midfield six of Oscar, Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, W.Ashcroft and L.Ashcroft. Outside midfield of Bailey, Fletcher and Berry.

Hoping the sub turns into a fifth bench spot because I don’t know who to put there out of this group.

Doedee, McCarthy and Gardiner will have to make their way back in the hard way. Answerth very stiff since he did very well this year. McKenna will also have to work hard.

Seen people on many different posts here wonder how the heck next years lineup will look with four good players returning from ACL injuries, two guns in Ashcroft and Marshall coming in through the draft and a possible Joe Daniher retirement.

Defensive seven of Andrews, Payne, Lester, Starcevich, Zorko, Coleman and Wilmot.

Offensive seven of Hipwood, Morris, Ah Chee, Rayner, Cameron, Lohmann and Smith.

Inside Midfield six of Oscar, Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, W.Ashcroft and L.Ashcroft. Outside midfield of Bailey, Fletcher and Berry.

Hoping the sub turns into a fifth bench spot because I don’t know who to put there out of this group.

Doedee, McCarthy and Gardiner will have to make their way back in the hard way. Answerth very stiff since he did very well this year. McKenna will also have to work hard.

Answerth is someone I want to find a spot for. THink we looked so much better with him in the side to balance out Zork being 95% attack. Kiddy has to come back in though.

Almost impossible to omit anyone from the GF side bar Darcy Fort for the Big O.

Kiedean Coleman is a 100% lock when fully fit and back to his best, Linc McCarthy is such a bloody good footballer and is another one who would be straight back in at his best.

Doedee and Gardiner will struggle to get into the side IMO.

Levi Ashcroft, holy moly if as good as Will as most pundits say how do we fit him in.

Sam Marshall will have to bide his time in the VFL and wait for an opportunity.

Pretty much what I’ve landed on, Lester and Ah Chee could’ve been on the fringe for Doedee and Linc but after the back half of the season they’ve proven to be two of the best role players in the league, particularly Ah Chee who is a matchup nightmare for others.

I’d be tempted to try and find a starting spot in the midfield for Will because I think there’s a chance he could be our best player as soon as next season. He’s an absolute freak.

Evolution has to happen. Premiership player and all round good guy Ryan Lester will probably becomes more of a backup player next year and promote younger players to get experience. Zorko will be heavily managed - may start if Coleman is not quite ready to go Rd 1. McKenna is a bit of journeyman - may now see him chase the $. Bailey will be looking for a good preseason and consistency. Neale's foot will need to heal so may have a slow start to the season.

Other clubs will be knocking on the door of some of players.

I'd expect a slow start to next season while we try and work out a settled best 23 with the returning players and the new draftees.

Evolution has to happen. Premiership player and all round good guy Ryan Lester will probably becomes more of a backup player next year and promote younger players to get experience. Zorko will be heavily managed - may start if Coleman is not quite ready to go Rd 1. McKenna is a bit of journeyman - may now see him chase the $. Bailey will be looking for a good preseason and consistency. Neale's foot will need to heal so may have a slow start to the season.

Other clubs will be knocking on the door of some of players.

Froggy probably plays round 1 but if Doedee can get fit again his spot is under threat.

Froggy probably plays round 1 but if Doedee can get fit again his spot is under threat.

Definitely the biggest spot under threat but after his great finals series and ability to age like fine wine I expect him to hold his spot valiantly until Doedee proves that he would be the better option.

Answerth is someone I want to find a spot for. THink we looked so much better with him in the side to balance out Zork being 95% attack. Kiddy has to come back in though.

100% is the stiffest to miss out and would have no issue at all with him slotting into the side if that’s how it pans out. I very much though we were giving up too much run and carry and daring disposal with him over McKenna but I’ve never been so thankful to eat my words. He was spectacular defensively and never made an error by foot.

If I wasn’t on the Zorko 300 train I would be happy if he was slowly phased out but Zorks needs to play all 23 games to reach 300.

Just can't see Froggy under any threat at all. When's Doedee due back ? He's got a way to go in fitness particularly to get anywhere near Froggy.

Sorry. Froggy's a gun.

The performance of the current team has been phenomenal but let's not forget we were behind with 2 minutes to go in the 2 prior games and but for the footy gods we could easily be having a different conversation . It turns out ( in my mind) that the Swans were easy pickings and we won the flag the 2 prior weeks. I've heard similar from some fairly reliable sources.

I think we're well managed enough to keep building the list and making tough decisions. Pointless looking at a 2025 team until we see who's up and running after the pre season . We've also now got Premiership players who will be entitled to fatten their contracts. A few due next year for their final ? contract. So there could be quite a bit happening prior to the '26 season.

Answerth plays. Like Tom14 said, we looked way better defensively with him in the team.

Fagan will want to bring Doedee in if he can reach form again as that transition needs to occur at some stage.

I assume we are going to be managing Choc, Zorko and Lester next year more than we did this year...which was zero. But Zorko also probably wants to get to 300, so maybe he just plays and we let Jesus take the wheel and hope his body holds up again.

Just can't see Froggy under any threat at all. When's Doedee due back ? He's got a way to go in fitness particularly to get anywhere near Froggy.

Sorry. Froggy's a gun.

The performance of the current team has been phenomenal but let's not forget we were behind with 2 minutes to go in the 2 prior games and but for the footy gods we could easily be having a different conversation . It turns out ( in my mind) that the Swans were easy pickings and we won the flag the 2 prior weeks. I've heard similar from some fairly reliable sources.

I think we're well managed enough to keep building the list and making tough decisions. Pointless looking at a 2025 team until we see who's up and running after the pre season . We've also now got Premiership players who will be entitled to fatten their contracts. A few due next year for their final ? contract. So there could be quite a bit happening prior to the '26 season.
Similar things shape the eventual Grand Final winners each season, only last season the Magpies won their finals by QF- 7 points, PF- 1 point, GF- 4 points. Not to mention close games during the regular season that determine finishing positions.

Albeit our finals run was one well and truly out of the box, unlikely to see similar ever again IMO.

Sorry. Froggy's a gun.

Also interesting in hindsight but I recall many people prior to our semi final game against Giants saying fairly convincingly that the winner of the GF would come from our side of the finals draw and whilst we won it, given how wound up Swans were perhaps the Giants and Cats would also have beaten them had they both got through us and each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Answerth plays. Like Tom14 said, we looked way better defensively with him in the team.

Fagan will want to bring Doedee in if he can reach form again as that transition needs to occur at some stage.

I assume we are going to be managing Choc, Zorko and Lester next year more than we did this year...which was zero. But Zorko also probably wants to get to 300, so maybe he just plays and we let Jesus take the wheel and hope his body holds up again.
He's fitter than he's ever been in his mind.

Of course at his age it only takes a calf or hammy sometimes . My theory is that the backline suits him these days where he's not the hunted and being belted in contests. Which might create an issue if Kiddy gets back.

I'm in the sceptical camp with Doedee . He didn't get far this year. I don't think we'll be taking any chances with him at all and it mightn't be until much later in the season until he puts his hand up . Let's see.

I'd be resting Choc and Oscar where appropriate . The problem is neither will want to go along with that. Zorko has a similar mindset. So does Froggy for that matter.

I agree Answerth is a lock He ,Starce and Andrews provide a very solid defensive foundation so the others can do the flashy stuff.

Also interesting in hindsight but I recall many people prior to our semi final game against Giants saying fairly convincingly that the winner of the GF would come from our side of the finals draw and whilst we won it, given how wound up Swans were perhaps the Giants and Cats would also have beaten them had they both got through us and each other.
Would've been a similar thumping in my view. Honestly the Swans didn't seem up for it.

Not detracting from what we did in any way because we beat the other 2 on the road and they both had every opportunity to beat us.

He's fitter than he's ever been in his mind.

Of course at his age it only takes a calf or hammy sometimes . My theory is that the backline suits him these days where he's not the hunted and being belted in contests. Which might create an issue if Kiddy gets back.

I'm in the sceptical camp with Doedee . He didn't get far this year. I don't think we'll be taking any chances with him at all and it mightn't be until much later in the season until he puts his hand up . Let's see.

I'd be resting Choc and Oscar where appropriate . The problem is neither will want to go along with that. Zorko has a similar mindset. So does Froggy for that matter.

I agree Answerth is a lock He ,Starce and Andrews provide a very solid defensive foundation so the others can do the flashy stuff.

Re Doedee, I wasn't approaching it as best 23 from rd 1. I think we need him in our best 23 next year. I hope Ryan Lester goes on forever, but at 33 next year who knows.

100% is the stiffest to miss out and would have no issue at all with him slotting into the side if that’s how it pans out. I very much though we were giving up too much run and carry and daring disposal with him over McKenna but I’ve never been so thankful to eat my words. He was spectacular defensively and never made an error by foot.

If I wasn’t on the Zorko 300 train I would be happy if he was slowly phased out but Zorks needs to play all 23 games to reach 300.
Rest him for 3 and play 300 in the GF 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Best 23 2025 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back