Best and Worst Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Last night I was discussing with a couple of guys at the footy some of the best and worst Freo games I have been to.

Unfortunately, last night slipped from one of the best ...

The best ones I have been to include:
vs St Kilda 2005 when J'Lo kicked the point after the siren.
vs Eagles 2006 when Hase kicked the goal with about 30 seconds to go
vs Melbourne 2002 when Wiz kicked the goal after the siren.

The worst:
vs Geelong 2006 when Geelong were at rock bottom and we got smashed
vs Richmond 2008 (enough said)
vs Melbourne 2004 when we were up by 2-3 goals at 3/4 quarter and Melbourne beat us hands down in the last quarter when it bucketted down - I was soaked and depressed.

Last night I was discussing with a couple of guys at the footy some of the best and worst Freo games I have been to.

Unfortunately, last night slipped from one of the best ...

The best ones I have been to include:
vs St Kilda 2005 when J'Lo kicked the point after the siren.
vs Eagles 2006 when Hase kicked the goal with about 30 seconds to go
vs Melbourne 2002 when Wiz kicked the goal after the siren.

The worst:
vs Geelong 2006 when Geelong were at rock bottom and we got smashed
vs Richmond 2008 (enough said)
vs Melbourne 2004 when we were up by 2-3 goals at 3/4 quarter and Melbourne beat us hands down in the last quarter when it bucketted down - I was soaked and depressed.

I remember that one - got soaked in the stands and Davey played an awesome game for the Dees...
Yeah - fun afternoon that was :rolleyes:

As I am based over in Melbourne, my list of the best and worst games I have been to will be a bit different from the rest of you, so here's my contribution to the discussion, to see if they dredge up some memories for anyone.

Best ones:
vs Hawthorn in 2001. Our first win for the season in about Round 17 or 18.
vs North Melbourne in 2003. We needed a win to stay in contention for finals, and when the pressure came on, Pav stood up and the rest of the team followed.
vs Melbourne in 2005. 42 goals scored between the 2 sides. What can I say, I like attacking football.

Worst ones:
vs Melbourne in 1997. A win and we would have snuck into the finals. Farmer kicked 6 against us, then took himself off because he was tired.
vs Collingwood also in 1997, I think. At Victoria Park, so thats a highlight in itself. Sav Rocca kicked 9 or 10. So did Freo, and we lost by about 100 points.
vs Fitzroy in 1996. Fitzroy's only win for the season, and their last win ever.

Best:
Round 10 2005 beat Geelong at SS (No one gave us a shot and was a very disciplined team effort to get across the line.)
Round 16 2007 beat Adelaide in adelaide (Harvey's first game. Very committed effort by all players)

Worst:
(I think) Round 20 2004 lost to Geelong at SS (Absolutely terrible weather. Did not know how to play the conditions. Farmer almost got pneumonia in the forward line cos the ball never went down there.)

I will list the ones I have been to only, not interstate ones.

Best:
Demolition of Collingwood Round 7 2005
Round 21 2005, J-Lo, nothing more needs to be said
2003 against the Lions, Medhursts 9
2006 1st Derby, Hase to win the game
Adelaide 1 point win last year
Semi-Final win against Melbourne 06, nothing more needs to be said
2006 round 22, 79 point win against Port, just because I hate them

Worst:
Friday night
Melbourne game of 04
Kangas game in 04, Wells GOTY
Richmond this year
Collingwood in 04 to kill us off
Essendon final of 03, gutting.
Geelong in 06

Best

Defeating Carlton in 1996 to end their unbeaten run of 18 games. The Game had an amazing photo of Scotty Chisolm on the cover.

Worst

Losing to wooden spooners Melbourne in the last game of the year in 1997. All the other games had fallen our way and all we had to do was beat the bottom team in the comp to make our first finals appearance. Clements was wandering around the back half looking completely disinterested and all the boys looked more interested in drinking grog on the Monday than playing finals, cause that was the culture we had back then.

You know what I love about this site - you say something honest and don't need to worry about having your post wiped. You can actually express an opinion and have a discussion

Worst ones:

vs Collingwood also in 1997, I think. At Victoria Park, so thats a highlight in itself. Sav Rocca kicked 9 or 10. So did Freo, and we lost by about 100 points.
ever.

I remember this game, too. Shane Parker tried hard and got bathed - as he did most games he played, but we kep t playing him and playing him and playing him.

And amongst the best, nobody has mentioned our first win against the toast in 2000 when Clive kicked 7, I think and Cooky knocked Mitchell White into next week with one of the best hip and shoulders ever delivered.

Poor old Drummie is much maligned by Freo supporters but if I've got it right, he inherited a basket case club from Neesham, gave us our first win against the toast and brought Pav, Hase and J-Lo to the club. The guy should be immortalised.

Sorry guys,
I know this prob isnt the right thread but I just want to say,
that your team against Geelong on Friday (Anzac Day) were great.
Such a great game..a thriller.
Freo did very well and should be proud of themselves knowing they almost beat Geelong..Hold your heads up high...GREAT EFFORT :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Best and Worst Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back