Best Contested Midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly Meow does not get satire at all. :)

Of course Dangerfield is a good contest winner. Whether he has ever been quite as prolific in hard balls as the wriggling worm types like Oliver and Liberatore, I am not so sure, it would be great to have those stats available going right back.
It’s a hypothetical scenario that I’m not going to bother divulging in but I think it’s a pretty safe educated guess he would be high in that isolated stat if it was around going off the description and the physicality of the way he plays and being no1 all time for recordings of contested possessions. Probably a stat selwood and prestia would rank high in also that one

Love the respect JKP is getting in this thread

Flys under the radar a little compared to some of his peers imo but Geeze what a gun
What I didn’t realize was how strong a correlation there is between contested possessions and brownlows. It’s very high

What I didn’t realize was how strong a correlation there is between contested possessions and brownlows. It’s very high
Agree, a lot of the best also seem to be in that “big bodied” midfield mould as well

Horne Francis and Ried probably the hot favourites to have their names amongst the top tier by the time they hang up the boots

Fmd this thread is going to turn into a huge bag of laughs with you turning up to join forces with the equally humorless meow.
Stop embarrasing yourself, you were the one thing yourself in knots pretending that contested midfielders in their prime win a lower proportion of their CPs as hard ball gets.

As far as I'm aware the OP didn't make the thread to search for the worst joke. You obviously just don't like the fact that one of the premier contested ball winners of this era happened to play for Geelong.

Stay salty.

Stop embarrasing yourself, you were the one thing yourself in knots pretending that contested midfielders in their prime win a lower proportion of their CPs as hard ball gets.

As far as I'm aware the OP didn't make the thread to search for the worst joke. You obviously just don't like the fact that one of the premier contested ball winners of this era happened to play for Geelong.

Stay salty.
He knows dangerfield would be high if the stat went back. His just trying to stir a little.

I brought useful facts to your worthy thread, and was instantly set upon but my groupies who have a Pavlov's dog conditioned response to attack anything I post no matter the intent.

I come in peace. Maybe check your savage guard cats. 🤣
My groupies ( fellow cats) are all good.

The stat you mentioned was a good one. Just not enough years to contribute much to an all time discussion. And when people say all time it’s pretty hard for most to go past recent memory which is usually last 20-30 years at max.

Contested marks is probs another good one to include for midfielders but can be a bit height bias.

My groupies ( fellow cats) are all good.

The stat you mentioned was a good one. Just not enough years to contribute much to an all time discussion. And when people say all time it’s pretty hard for most to go past recent memory which is usually last 20-30 years at max.

Contested marks is probs another good one to include for midfielders but can be a bit height bias.

Contests are vital all over the gorund in footy because of course if you win a genuine contest it has the dual effect of allowing you to advance the ball and stopping the opponent from advancing the ball. So genuine contested possessions to advantage are classic "8 point" possessions. Where received possessions are more like 4 point possessions. But teams who over-emphasise winning the contest in the middle at the expense of setting up to win the ball at either end of the ground have run into some trouble in modern footy. The ultimate contest wins are ones that either create or stop scores. It is a shame that we can't get more detail around things like contested score involvements/contested goals to help us see the real value of each players' contest work.

Contests are vital all over the gorund in footy because of course if you win a genuine contest it has the dual effect of allowing you to advance the ball and stopping the opponent from advancing the ball. So genuine contested possessions to advantage are classic "8 point" possessions. Where received possessions are more like 4 point possessions. But teams who over-emphasise winning the contest in the middle at the expense of setting up to win the ball at either end of the ground have run into some trouble in modern footy. The ultimate contest wins are ones that either create or stop scores. It is a shame that we can't get more detail around things like contested score involvements/contested goals to help us see the real value of each players' contest work.
In terms of metrics very difficult. It’s more of an applied eyeball test at that point to determine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it 2012 that JPK led the comp for contested possies, clearances, handballs, ground ball gets, 3rd for tackles AND kicked 29 goals?

Beast. And stood up when it mattered - went to another level in finals.

You have your break away mids (Danger, Trac), inside / outside (Judd, Warner, Daicos) and hybrids who roam forward (Bont, Heeney, Dustin) which all stand out more and have better highlight reels, but as a pure inside bull it's hard to go past JPK - have to be in the top 5 since 2000.

Neale and Serong are also excellent and clean in the contest, albeit the latter isn't very damaging.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fyfe 2012-2015 is possibly the best in history. Huge hands (nickname was avatar back at the start), 192cm, tree trunk thighs, and as strong as Wayne Carey. Also spectacular marks was another string to make him utterly dynamic.
At the end of the day he got overtaken in the pantheon by Dangerfield Martin Bontempelli but he’s in the hall of greats with his 2 Brownlows.

Fyfe was All Australian squad 6 times
Norm Smith favourite and would’ve also won if Fremantle pinched it
Arguably the player of the 2010s accounting Brownlow votes, but was never the same after his broken leg (became slower and lost his scything sidestep).

Fyfe 2012-2015 is possibly the best in history. Huge hands (nickname was avatar back at the start), 192cm, tree trunk thighs, and as strong as Wayne Carey. Also spectacular marks was another string to make him utterly dynamic.
At the end of the day he got overtaken in the pantheon by Dangerfield Martin Bontempelli but he’s in the hall of greats with his 2 Brownlows.

Fyfe was All Australian squad 6 times
Norm Smith favourite and would’ve also won if Fremantle pinched it
Arguably the player of the 2010s accounting Brownlow votes, but was never the same after his broken leg (became slower and lost his scything sidestep).

I would say it was the shoulder injuries that were worse for him.
He lost most of his ability to mark over his head

His first half of 2015 was probably the most dominant stretch of footy since Carey.

In terms of this thread, I loved Michael Barlow…and would say his broken leg and Morabito’s knees cost us multiple shots at the title.
Yes, Michael came back and played good footy. But he was projecting as an absolute star in those first 13 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Contested Midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back