Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunk, only just saw this. What I find interesting is what appears to be the number of players wearing hats, not just caps, but what look to be your going out Fedora.

And all the clothing was probably wool, leather or canvas. Must’ve been incredibly uncomfortable.

Polly Farmer over East Freo's Jack "Stork" Clarke. Stork was from out Goomalling way and would drive from the farm to games on a Saturday morning and drive back pretty much straight afterwards. 4-time All Australian when they named them from the All Australian carnivals.

He and Polly once collided up against a point post and it snapped three quarters of the way up.

For reference, and to appreciate Polly's leap, Stork was 6'4".

Stolen from Collin G Wood on Twitter. What an absolute cracker.

1729725704938.png

Second term of the 1970 GF. The legendary Peter McKenna gives Carlton full back Kevin Hall the slip and kicks a goal. A white-hot McKenna kicked 6 in the first half, this one puts them 44 points up. A few more goals either way and they would take the same margin into the main break.

McKenna was accidentally knocked out by teammate Des Tuddenham just before half time and would not add to his six goals. A very “Colliwobbles” tale… Carlton mounted the most famous football comeback in the second half to win the flag. Do they do that with a fit McKenna out there? Quite possibly not.

121,696 people in the house, the record to this day.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
That's your opinion ;)

IMO, Roach and Allison

I think Bruce's commentary elevated Moorcroft's mark. I personally prefer high pack marks

I'd substitute "overhyped" instead of elevated. It was a terrific mark no doubt, but best mark ever? Rubbish.

There's a certain level that gets reached with marks, and after that it's impossible to pick number one. But off the top of my head without any research at all, I'd put ahead:
  • Trevor Barker vs South in the late '70s
  • Gary Ablett vs North in 1985 at Geelong
  • Aaron Edwards vs Hawthorn in 2007 (how that didn't win mark of the year is a crime against humanity)
  • Warwick Capper vs Fitzroy in 1987 (the North one got more hype, the Fitzroy one was clearly better, one leap and perfect high mark)
  • Tony Modra vs North in 1993
  • Jeremy Howe vs Sydney in 2012
  • And so on. They're all as good, or better
Then you only need to look at old photos to see some great marks were taken in previous eras.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back