Sep 30, 2004
EK
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
St. Bernard's
Hey Guys,

Sorry for invading your thread but i have a question

Im a bomber man, so my knowledge of the great hawks players is limited.

I was having a discussion with my old man, and he doesnt reckon Crawford is in the top 20 of hawks ever to play, i reckon he is, and is a gun. He round of a massive list of players he would pick, who have played for the hawks, before crawf

Would crawf play in the midfield in the Hawks team of century or would he be lucky to get a bench posi.

Could someone do a Best Hawks Ever team, or is there somewhere i could find one,

Thanks Guys

I've followed the Hawks since 1968, seen some great midfielders and rovers.
I'd probably find a place on the bench or on the wing for Craw as the best 22 Hawks I have seen. Hard to squeeze him into a roving spot ahead of Matthews, Platten and Crimmins.

HAWTHORN Team of the Century:

Coach: John Kennedy Snr.

B: Gary Ayres, Kelvin Moore, Albert Mills
HB: Col Austin, Chris Mew, Peter Knights
C: Robert DiPierdomenico, Jim Bohan, Brendan Edwards
HF: Graham Arthur (c), Dermott Brereton, Gary Buckenara
F: Jason, Dunstall, Peter Hudson, John Platten

Ruck: Don Scott, Michael Tuck, Leigh Matthews

Int: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Paul Salmon, Roy Simmonds

They had a talk-back segment on SEN yesterday (Thursday) about where Crawf rates in the best Hawks of all time. Schwarze had him in the top 6!! Most callers had him in the top 10 at least. I love Crawf as much as anyone, but we've had some awesome players over the years, and I think this is a bit optimistic. Definately top 20, probably not top 10 IMO.

Adelaide Hawk said:
I've followed the Hawks since 1968, seen some great midfielders and rovers.
I'd probably find a place on the bench or on the wing for Craw as the best 22 Hawks I have seen. Hard to squeeze him into a roving spot ahead of Matthews, Platten and Crimmins.

HAWTHORN Team of the Century:

Coach: John Kennedy Snr.

B: Gary Ayres, Kelvin Moore, Albert Mills
HB: Col Austin, Chris Mew, Peter Knights
C: Robert DiPierdomenico, Jim Bohan, Brendan Edwards
HF: Graham Arthur (c), Dermott Brereton, Gary Buckenara
F: Jason, Dunstall, Peter Hudson, John Platten

Ruck: Don Scott, Michael Tuck, Leigh Matthews

Int: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Paul Salmon, Roy Simmonds

I hope that team of the century is not fair dinkum!!!!!

How the hell could Salmon get a game on the bench and Crawford be left out?!?!?!?! Sure thats not right?????

Langford should be in B4 Kelvin Moore as well!

GO HAWKS!!

The joke (poor joke too) is that Crimmins wasn't named.

Actually it's no sort of joke at all, not even poor. Just plain wrong is what it is.

On Crawford, would make my team but on the bench (Dipper and Eade on the wings, Matthews and Crimmins roving, Platten f/p).

We were pretty strong for a period there.. wouldn't mind seeing it again.

crawf definately in the team somewhere. I read on hawk headquarters that he wouldn't get in the side in the 80s hawthorn teams which is absolute rubbish. 4 time all australian players and brownlow winners genuinely make any side, i agree with grendel about him being on the bench for the team of the century list.

bring on draft said:
I hope that team of the century is not fair dinkum!!!!!

How the hell could Salmon get a game on the bench and Crawford be left out?!?!?!?! Sure thats not right?????

Langford should be in B4 Kelvin Moore as well!

GO HAWKS!!

First of all, I agree 100% about Langford ahead of Moore. Both great full backs but Langers gets my vote. I will always remember how he used to towel up Stephen Kernahan each time they played, nobody but nobody can lay claims to that.

Secondly, the trouble with Teams of the Century is they have to resemble a "team". In other words, ballanced in structure. The Hawks have had some of the best rovers/midfielders in the history of the game so Crawford had far more opposition than Salmon. The Hawks haven't had that many good ruckmen, let alone great ones. In the short time Salmon was at the club, he played ruck as well, if not better than anyone in the club's history.

Thirdly, for the first half of Crawf's career he was a very good player who hadn't really reached his full potential until 1999 when he became fitter, more disciplined and better than ever. I don't think Crawf did enough prior the the end of 1999 to warrant selection in the Team of the Century. Certainly if they named the greatest team 1925-2005, Crawford would be in it.

Someone mentioned Crawford wouldn't have made the Hawks teams in the 80s .... oh yes he would have, put a 1999 vintage Crawford in the 80s Hawk teams and we would have won 6-7 flags in a row :)

cschreuder61 said:
crawf definately in the team somewhere. I read on hawk headquarters that he wouldn't get in the side in the 80s hawthorn teams which is absolute rubbish. 4 time all australian players and brownlow winners genuinely make any side, i agree with grendel about him being on the bench for the team of the century list.

He'd struggle

Witt's was a regular in those eighties sides, if Cindy wouldn't get a game ahead of him I'll jump.

Others that he'd give probably an earlier retirement would of been Russo, Greene, Loveridge, Schwab, Anderson as a starting 20 line-up. Yea, they were all terrific players but on talent, Crawford was at least equal to and more than likely better than most (maybe not Greene who I think is very under-rated) of those named.

But he wouldn't be getting game time ahead of blokes where he's made his name (winger or rover). Eade, Dipper, Pritch I'd personally all have ahead of him on the wings because of better disposal (Dipper another who's very under-rated in his skills). Platten and Buckenara as the on-ballers.

He'd probably be like the "Scholar" and be 2nd rover to Platten or stuck like he was in his early days with us, forward pocket/relief on-baller.

Or that's how I reckon it'd work anyways.

Grendel said:
But he wouldn't be getting game time ahead of blokes where he's made his name (winger or rover). Eade, Dipper, Pritch I'd personally all have ahead of him on the wings because of better disposal (Dipper another who's very under-rated in his skills). Platten and Buckenara as the on-ballers.
As much as I loved Pritch, he's not the player Crawf is. Crawf would push Rat for No1 rover but still reckon Rat would have kept his spot.

saaam said:
As much as I loved Pritch, he's not the player Crawf is. Crawf would push Rat for No1 rover but still reckon Rat would have kept his spot.

I agree. Crawford would have been sensational running off the wing in those 80s teams. You know my definition of unfair? Crawf will probably never play in a Hawks premiership team, but Greg Madigan did. :eek:

Timing is everything in life :)

Surely a Brownlow Medalist, International Rules Representative, Multiple AA and B&F would have to make it onto a team of the century, overcoming multiple setbacks along the way. Well, he'll definately be in the next Hawthorn team of the century (2001-2100)!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Hawks Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back