Prediction Best Lineup for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not even going to try to put a best 22/23 for round 1 forward. There are way too many things to still play out and way too many variables, but the reports from training so far are very positive. The best thing is that we'll have genuine competition for many positions with a plethora of good choices for the HB, Wings and HF positions. There will no doubt be quite a number of players who will be considered to be unlucky to miss out on featuring in round 1, which is the way you want it to be. I expect to see improved fitness levels, more speed, quicker transitions and a structured gameplan in 2024 that will result in a good 2nd half of the season. I don't expect the results in the first half of the season to be great, but I'm excited about the brand of footy we're going to see that will give us a glimpse of the future.

So probably more of a downgrade target for Fantasy then all the best for the year don't mind the Roos as my sister follows them

He's coming off an injury to his arm asnd hasnt played competitive level for 18 months so he'll need the opportunity to get fully match fit. So thats my expectation.

Hey guys wishing you all the best in 2024

Just wanted to know is Sheezel most likely to play down back/spurts on ball this year?

Cheers 👍
I think that is likely how the season starts for him

Then as it goes on I think he will get more mid time and maybe a bit up forward

I'm having a lot of trouble picking our Round 0 team. Now that we have Biggy AND Pink, with the luxury of swinging Comben back, I can't help but walk around with half a tabby cat.

There'll be nothing sweeter than venturing to Shell Stadium & keeping the Cats goalless. I'll be tossing baked potatoes up in the air during the Mexican Wave flat out. And spare me the "its a waste of food, there's kids in Ethiopia starving" cliche. Where was Bob Geldof when the Doggies were rattling the tins? Hiding behind Mike Zadinski's robe, that's where!!!

Last edited:
heading into Xmas this is mine but it’s a long summer ahead;

FB:, K.Dawson, Comben, McDonald

HB: Sheezel ,Corr , Fisher

C: Scott, Wardlaw, Stephens

HF:Thomas , Zurhaar, Stephenson

FF: Curtis, Larkey, Ford

R: Xerri, LDU, Simpkin

INT: McKercher, Philips, Powell, Lazzaro, Greenwood
This is about as close as i got as well. With the Dawson role up for grabs by about 5 different players.

We have so many mids, the only way to fit all my favourites is if Sheezel plays HB again thus leaving a mid spot open and even that's not enough!

I think Greenwood is in bc of height/ruck and realistically there will need to be defender on the INT as well.
Which means only two of the following goes through: McKercher, Philips, Powell, Lazzaro, B George :(

Last edited:
All I care about;

Fwds - Curtis Larkey George
Zurhaar Ford Duursma.

Mids - LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, TT, Simpkin, McKercher, Phillips & Powell.

That is one hell of a midfield rotation, the ball shouldn't go down back ever :p

How much do our boys weigh? :p

Yes if we can keep this lot fit and well coached - we will start winning a few by years end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too early round 23 prediction:

Hardeman - Logue - Corr
McKercher - Comben - Sheezel
Scott - Wardlaw - Stephens
Simpkin - Zurhaar - George
Curtis - Larkey - Hansen Jnr

Xerri - LDU - Thomas

Int: Duursma - Phillips - Powell - Fisher
Sub: Ford

I'll eat my hat if Hansen Jr goes past Ford by the end of the season.

our first five weeks are insane, could easily be 0/5, saying that many sides selected thus far do not have McKercher or Dursma in the team and are selecting Biggy???, 100% Pink is playing round one baring injury and comben will also play pending fitness, for me they are locks even now.

i would not under estimate those early draft picks getting games early...

our first five weeks are insane, could easily be 0/5, saying that many sides selected thus far do not have McKercher or Dursma in the team and are selecting Biggy???, 100% Pink is playing round one baring injury and comben will also play pending fitness, for me they are locks even now.

i would not under estimate those early draft picks getting games early...

This is my take;
Agree that Pink is ahead of Biggie but by all accounts Kal Dawson is making an impression. A long way to go but Dawson, coming off a good end to 2023 is doing everything right.

McKercher seems as though he is a lock. Even in today’s presser he got a great write-up. Durssma definately playing this year but still not a lock for round 1.

Chom a lock if fit. Not training 100% yet so he’s in a battle for round 1

Ideally R1:

Corr Pink Goater
Sheez Comben McKelcher
Scott LDU Fisher
Stephenson Zurhaar TT
Curtis Larkey Duursma
Xerri Wardlaw Simpkin
Powell Stephens Phillips LMac

Concerned about our onballers fitness, think we’ll get exposed hard on the outside.

George in for Ford/Stephenson type when up and running.

Would love to see Hardeman put pressure on and replace LMac during the year.

Very scared about our KPDs and how many goals we will leak.

I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ideally R1:

Dawson Pink LMac
Sheez Comben McKelcher
Scott LDU Fisher
Stephenson Zurhaar TT
Curtis Larkey Duursma
Xerri Wardlaw Simpkin
Powell Stephens Phillips Hardeman

Concerned about our onballers fitness, think we’ll get exposed hard on the outside.

Corr to replace Dawson when fit, George in for Ford/Stephenson type when up and running.

I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

Thoughts?

Corr should play. Before hurting his ankle he had put in a heap of work and was in close to career best knick.

Ran the 2k time trial yesterday so with 2 months to go he should be fine.

Concerned about our onballers fitness, think we’ll get exposed hard on the outside
This won't be that unpleasant as it has been the default expectation of supporters for years. And hopefully with all the positive talk coming out of the club, the fitness levels of at least some of our onballers will have lifted.

To just have one more decent inside mid at Jy's level of fitness would be a godsend. The bloke can't do it all on his own late in games. I'd consider throwing Sheezel into the midfield late in games to help give us a two-way cushion.

Me too, but don't underestimate the impact of a defensive system that is understood by everyone involved. Hawthorn got through 2012 with Ryan Schoenmakers and 189cm Josh Gibson holding down those positions. Ok so their team was fit as a fiddle and pressured well up the ground, but it proves you can be undersized/underpowered and still make it work.

We want to make steps in that direction. But if Pink plays VFL standard football and/or Comben gets injured, we're gonna be cooked. I don't see Biggie getting a shot at it till at least halfway through the year. Could be wrong though.

Ideally R1:

Corr Pink Goater
Sheez Comben McKelcher
Scott LDU Fisher
Stephenson Zurhaar TT
Curtis Larkey Duursma
Xerri Wardlaw Simpkin
Powell Stephens Phillips LMac

Thoughts?
CCJ in for Duursma and then swap positions with Zurhaar. It's crap but I don't see it going any other way if he's healthy. We don't want Comben having to chop out for Xerri in the ruck and leaving a hole in defence, and CCj's the most likely to provide marking support for Larkey.

This won't be that unpleasant as it has been the default expectation of supporters for years. And hopefully with all the positive talk coming out of the club, the fitness levels of at least some of our onballers will have lifted.

To just have one more decent inside mid at Jy's level of fitness would be a godsend. The bloke can't do it all on his own late in games. I'd consider throwing Sheezel into the midfield late in games to help give us a two-way cushion.

Me too, but don't underestimate the impact of a defensive system that is understood by everyone involved. Hawthorn got through 2012 with Ryan Schoenmakers and 189cm Josh Gibson holding down those positions. Ok so their team was fit as a fiddle and pressured well up the ground, but it proves you can be undersized/underpowered and still make it work.

We want to make steps in that direction. But if Pink plays VFL standard football and/or Comben gets injured, we're gonna be cooked. I don't see Biggie getting a shot at it till at least halfway through the year. Could be wrong though.

CCJ in for Duursma and then swap positions with Zurhaar. It's crap but I don't see it going any other way if he's healthy. We don't want Comben having to chop out for Xerri in the ruck and leaving a hole in defence, and CCj's the most likely to provide marking support for Larkey.
Yeah I’m sure well trial CCJ at CHF at times but he is very slow and a liability once the ball hits the deck, he has been a flop… I hope he proves me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best Lineup for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back