HB: Sheezel, Comben, Burgman
C: Scott, Wardlaw, Stephens
HF: Thomas, CCJ, Ford
F: Zurhaar, Larkey, Curtis
Foll: Xerri, LDU, Simpkin
Int: Powell, Phillips, McDonald, Goater
Sub: Pick from Mckercher/Duursma/Shields/Greenwood

Comments:
We need a tall like CCJ at CHF to compete in the air and make life easier for Larkey and our other mid size forwards
Sheezel starts back to give us stability (and we have a stack of mid size forwards)
McDonald starts on bench as 7th defender but needs to improve skill level
Comben takes the monster forward and can push forward depending on opposition tall forwards
Burgman and Goater interchangeable roles
Definitely plenty of opportunities for established players and draftees as season progresses.

Not selected:
Sleevo – I know he kicked goals last year but needs to be more consistent
George – exciting prospect. I hope he recovers quickly from injury
Dawson – There’s a spot for him if VFL form holds up
Tucker – looking fit - might turn into a run with player
Archer – hope he can become our lock down defender
Biggie – Gives us a tall option forward and back
Taylor – Coming off a big Spring Carnival (joke kids)
Cooper – He needs to find a point of difference or kick a bag full regularly
Hansen Jnr – if he comes on we are a different team
Laz – I rate him but competition is strong for his role
Drury- As per Hansen Junior
Free – Break in case of emergency
Logue (inj) – Hurry back son

I've assumed no draftees get picked Round 1 but i will address this as the pre-season rolls on.

FBM BergmanA CorrL McDonald
CHBZ FisherK DawsonB Scott
CJ GoaterLDUD Stephens
CHFT ThomasE FordH Sheezal
FFC ZurhaarN LarkeyP Curtis
RuckCCJW PhillipsG Wardlaw
BenchJ StephensonC CombenT Powell
J SimpkinD Tucker

I think we have brought Fisher into play back flank and I liked the look of Scott on half back last year. I think Fisher and Scott at half back allow Sheez to play high half forward as extra midfielder where i think he will do the most damage. Dawson gets first crack at CHB and hopefully he can make it his. In my perfect world Eddie would go back and play as a 3rd tall but the jungle drums are beating on Comben going back so he would the extra defender.

I am not as stressed about a smaller defensive unit as long as we get our structures right and our pressure at the source lifts.

Players not picked
Archer
Pink
Biggie
Shiels
Greenwood
Taylor
Cooper
Hansen Jnr
George
Laz
Drury
Free
Logue (inj)
Draftees
You're having a laugh if you think ccj is taking ruck over xerri if you think xerri is a bad ruck ccj is even worse. Not too mention the ongoing concussion issues for ccj

You're having a laugh if you think ccj is taking ruck over xerri if you think xerri is a bad ruck ccj is even worse. Not too mention the ongoing concussion issues for ccj
I don't think its as black and white as you describe. Xerri himself is coming off a pretty big injury and he was terrible in the back end of 2023 when he came back. I am not stating that CCJ is the next Cory McKernan, I do think he has more upside and I am hopeful he can turn himself into a Rhys Stanley kind of player in the short term.

NORTH MELBOURNE

B:
Toby Pink, Aidan Corr, Luke McDonald

HB: Harry Sheezel, Charlie Comben, Zac Fisher

C:Dylan Stephens, George Wardlaw, Bailey Scott

HF: Tarryn Thomas, Cam Zurhaar, Eddie Ford

F: Paul Curtis, Nick Larkey, Jaidyn Stephenson

FOLL: Tristan Xerri, Jy Simpkin, Luke Davies-Uniacke

I/C: Callum Coleman-Jones, Miller Bergman, Tom Powell, Colby McKercher, Will Phillips (sub)

Key off-season ins: Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher, Toby Pink, Colby McKercher, Zane Duursma

Key off-season outs: Ben McKay, Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Ben Cunnington, Aaron Hall

Missing: Griffin Logue

WE SAY: The Roos got busy this off-season and could line-up vastly differently in 2024, with a plethora of options. It’s easy to get excited about all the draftees, but right now, Colby McKercher is the only one you’d confidently say should be there Round 1 as the best midfielder in the 2023 draft crop, with Zane Duursma needing to work his way in over the pre-season. Pick 23 Riley Hardeman could also be in the mix after playing league footy with Swan Districts, but would he leapfrog the likes of Josh Goater and Miller Bergman? Losing Ben McKay leaves a significant void in defence — one they don’t really have cover for, particularly after Griffin Logue’s ACL blow — and there’s plenty more experience out the door. Toby Pink has impressed at SANFL level, but will he be ready for the step up? Well, he probably has to be given their lack of other key defensive options. Trade recruits Zac Fisher and Dylan Stephens both figure to be in the club’s best 23. North also battled a huge injury list this year and will welcome back Charlie Comben, who’s expected to move down back in 2024, and Cam Zurhaar.

NORTH MELBOURNE

B:
Toby Pink, Aidan Corr, Luke McDonald

HB: Harry Sheezel, Charlie Comben, Zac Fisher

C:Dylan Stephens, George Wardlaw, Bailey Scott

HF: Tarryn Thomas, Cam Zurhaar, Eddie Ford

F: Paul Curtis, Nick Larkey, Jaidyn Stephenson

FOLL: Tristan Xerri, Jy Simpkin, Luke Davies-Uniacke

I/C: Callum Coleman-Jones, Miller Bergman, Tom Powell, Colby McKercher, Will Phillips (sub)

Key off-season ins: Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher, Toby Pink, Colby McKercher, Zane Duursma

Key off-season outs: Ben McKay, Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Ben Cunnington, Aaron Hall

Missing: Griffin Logue

WE SAY: The Roos got busy this off-season and could line-up vastly differently in 2024, with a plethora of options. It’s easy to get excited about all the draftees, but right now, Colby McKercher is the only one you’d confidently say should be there Round 1 as the best midfielder in the 2023 draft crop, with Zane Duursma needing to work his way in over the pre-season. Pick 23 Riley Hardeman could also be in the mix after playing league footy with Swan Districts, but would he leapfrog the likes of Josh Goater and Miller Bergman? Losing Ben McKay leaves a significant void in defence — one they don’t really have cover for, particularly after Griffin Logue’s ACL blow — and there’s plenty more experience out the door. Toby Pink has impressed at SANFL level, but will he be ready for the step up? Well, he probably has to be given their lack of other key defensive options. Trade recruits Zac Fisher and Dylan Stephens both figure to be in the club’s best 23. North also battled a huge injury list this year and will welcome back Charlie Comben, who’s expected to move down back in 2024, and Cam Zurhaar.
Well Bergman starts in back pocket Harderman on bench instead of Powell and McDonald starts at VFL level

Round 1

B: Mcdonald Pink Corr
HB: Sheezel Comben Fisher
C: Stephens Wardlaw Scott
HF: Simpkin Zurhaar Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Ford
FO: Xerri LDU Thomas
INT: Phillips Powell Goater Mckercher Greenwood

Best team - Hopefully as soon as possible but not putting timeframe on it:

B: Goater Pink Corr
HB: Sheezel Logue Fisher
HF: Simpkin Comben Duursma
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
FO: Xerri LDU Thomas

INT: Ford Phillips W.Dawson Mckercher Powell

I don't think the Comben experiment will work. I hope it does as it gives us structure but i still think hes a forward. Duursma forces his way in. He's the sort of player who could dominate the VFL. Logue back in and W.Dawson will be a serious player for us.

The outs are harsh but the club needs to move forward. I really like Stephenson but someone is getting squeezes out. Big watch on Curtis too, hopefully he is having a massive pre season.

Changes from Round 1 to best side
Ins: Logue, W.Dawson, Duursma
Out: Mcdonald, Stephenson, Greenwood

B: Nyuon Corr McDonald
HB: Fisher Comben Sheezel
C: Stephens Phillips Thomas
HF: Duursma CCJ Curtis
F: Zurhaar Larkey Sleevo
R: Xerri Simpkin LDU
I: Goater Wardlaw Scott Powell
Sub: Tucker/CT

Emg: Colby, Ford, Finnbar, Bergman, shiels

Ideally wouldn’t have bailey in but he starts in the 22

Ones in bold debateable with emergencies but I’m going with them for now

Biggie v pink or a smaller Bergman
Duursma v Colby or ford
CCJ v Finnbar

B: Pink Corr McDonald
HB: Goater Comben Sheezel
C: Scott Wardlaw Mckertcher
HF: Thomas CCJ Ford
F: Zurhaar Larkey sleevo
R: Xerri Simpkin LDU
I: Hardeman Fisher Stephens Powell
Sub: Curtis

Phillips: abit unlucky but will play plenty of games

Bergman: I think the club will like the idea of defence and speed of Hardeman over him. Goater a better interceptor

Duursma: slightly built will take time.

Archer: similar to Bergman. Will make the side as a pure 1:1 defender I think

Greenwood: Good enough to be in may be in place of Powell.

Round 1

Dawson Corr McDonald

Fisher Pink Mckercher

Sheezel LDU Scott

Curtis Larkey Zuhaar

Thomas Comben Dursma

Xerri Simpkin Warlord

Stephens Ford Phillips/Powell Shiels

Sub: Goater

Alternative's

Biggy for a tall defender

Sleevo or George for Dursma

Both WAP and Powell play overs Shiels

Bergman for either LMac or Dawson/Pink

Tucker or Sleevo for subs

Pending fitness we can probably assume at least Stephens, Fisher, Pink, Mckercher play their first games for the club, with Dursma to make it 5.

I've assumed no draftees get picked Round 1 but i will address this as the pre-season rolls on.

FBM BergmanA CorrL McDonald
CHBZ FisherK DawsonB Scott
CJ GoaterLDUD Stephens
CHFT ThomasE FordH Sheezal
FFC ZurhaarN LarkeyP Curtis
RuckCCJW PhillipsG Wardlaw
BenchJ StephensonC CombenT Powell
J SimpkinD Tucker

I think we have brought Fisher into play back flank and I liked the look of Scott on half back last year. I think Fisher and Scott at half back allow Sheez to play high half forward as extra midfielder where i think he will do the most damage. Dawson gets first crack at CHB and hopefully he can make it his. In my perfect world Eddie would go back and play as a 3rd tall but the jungle drums are beating on Comben going back so he would the extra defender.

I am not as stressed about a smaller defensive unit as long as we get our structures right and our pressure at the source lifts.

Players not picked
Archer
Pink
Biggie
Shiels
Greenwood
Taylor
Cooper
Hansen Jnr
George
Laz
Drury
Free
Logue (inj)
Draftees

I think if we're lining up with Corr as our #1 key defender in round 1 we are screwed. He is a 3rd tall at best.

Corr Pink Bergman
Fisher Logue Sheezel
Stephens LDU Scott
Simpkin Zurhaar Ford
George Larkey Duursma

Xerri Thomas Wardlaw

McKercher, Powell, Goater, CCj

Okay which obvious player(s) did I miss?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corr Pink Bergman
Fisher Logue Sheezel
Stephens LDU Scott
Simpkin Zurhaar Ford
George Larkey Duursma

Xerri Thomas Wardlaw

McKercher, Powell, Goater, CCj

Okay which obvious player(s) did I miss?
Chom full back
and lmac will play over bergman despite how some see the skipper

I thought it might be interesting to do a depth chart now we know where a few players (may) be playing this year
Bold means 2024 positional change and italicised means the change is not confirmed:

Key defenders: Logue, Corr, Comben, Pink, K. Dawson, Nyuon, W. Dawson
Half backs: Sheezel, Fisher, McKercher, Bergman, George, Hardeman
Lock down non-key defenders: Archer, McDonald, Goater, Drury

Midfielders: Davies-Uniacke, Wardlaw, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Greenwood, Lazzaro
Wing: Scott, Stephens, Shiels, Tucker
Ruck: Xerri, Free, Goad

Key forwards: Larkey, Coleman-Jones, Maley
Half forwards: Zurhaar, Simpkin, Duursma, Ford, Taylor, Harvey
Pressure forwards: Curtis, Stephenson, Hansen Jr,

I've had to guess a bit where players like Goater, Drury, Greenwood, Lazzaro, Tucker, Ford and Taylor are going to be playing and have gone with what they ended up playing towards the end of 2023.

I've also extrapolated on how I saw the roles of guys like Curtis and Stephenson who seemed to be encourage to put on more pressure and stay closer to goal than similar forwards like Ford and Taylor. Obviously neither are pure pacy small forwards but we used to make do with Turner and Spicer playing that role so I think they could still contribute to an effective forward line.

All said and done the balance doesn't look that bad now. With George and Sheezel in defence we've only got six half forwards on the list and only four I'd really want to see playing anyway.

There's still a midfield logjam and that will just have to be survival of the fittest with one of Powell and Phillips likely to be in and out of the side or playing as substitute.

Zurhaar and Duursma can both play that quasi CHF forward role which helps with the tall depth a bit. At this stage CCJ and Maley are more important as ruck support for Xerri than needing to be clunking contested marks on the 50. One likely plays each week as a ruck forward. If either of them aren't available we'll look to Biggy or even young Wil Dawson but he's probably too raw.

Best 22 based on getting as many of our most talented players on the field but still having structure and experience:

B: McDonald Pink Bergman
HB: Sheezel Corr McKercher
HF: Zurhaar CCJ Simpkin
F: Curtis Larkey Stephenson
Foll: Xerri Davies-Uniacke Thomas
Int: Phillips, Shiels, Fisher, Ford
Sub: Powell
Em: Duursma, Goater, K. Dawson, Greenwood

B: Fisher Corr Comben
HB: Colby M Pink. Sheezel
C: Stephens LDU. Scott
HF:Duursma Cam Z. Tarryn T
F: Stephenson Nick L. Paul C
Following: T xerri , Simpkin & Wardlaw
Bench
Goater, Powell , Phillips, McDonald & CCJ
Miller Bergman emergency easily could be in.
Interesting pre season ahead.
Colby , sheez and fisher will provide real excitement, class and dare of the backline.

I don't think its as black and white as you describe. Xerri himself is coming off a pretty big injury and he was terrible in the back end of 2023 when he came back. I am not stating that CCJ is the next Cory McKernan, I do think he has more upside and I am hopeful he can turn himself into a Rhys Stanley kind of player in the short term.

Happy for you to have your opinion and it’s a thought.

But you’ll find it is that black and white. X is miles in front from a rucking perspective and CCJ will be lucky to play with the concussion issue.

How do people think the draft hand and resulting recruits stack up over the past five years stack up against the early days of gws recruits?

B McDonald Lougue Mckercher
HB Sheezel Comben Fisher
C Thomas Wardlaw Scott
HF Stephenson Larkey Ford
F Zuuhuar CCJ Curtis
FOLL- Xerri Simpkin LDU
I/C- Corr, Duursma, Stephens, Phillips
Sub- Powell

With the lads breaking up for Christmas, I feel pretty good about the following as a starting 18 for round one. This is assuming Corr, Ford, and Thomas are all good to go.

FB: Corr, Pink, McDonald
HB: Fisher, Comben, McKercher
HF: Simpkin, Zurhaar, Sheezel
FF: Curtis, Larkey, Ford
R: Xerri, LDU, Thomas

I'm not sure where Sheezel ends up playing, but I had a spot open on a forward flank so he slots in there.

There will be a ton of competition between guys like Tucker, Phillips, Powell, Greenwood, Dawson, Shiels, Archer, Drury, Duursma, George, Goater, Stephenson, Bergman, and Lazzaro for those final bench spots. I'd be happy with any of them playing honestly, and with a good run of health our VFL team should be loaded.

With the lads breaking up for Christmas, I feel pretty good about the following as a starting 18 for round one. This is assuming Corr, Ford, and Thomas are all good to go.

FB: Corr, Pink, McDonald
HB: Fisher, Comben, McKercher
HF: Simpkin, Zurhaar, Sheezel
R: Xerri, LDU, Thomas

I'm not sure where Sheezel ends up playing, but I had a spot open on a forward flank so he slots in there.

There will be a ton of competition between guys like Tucker, Phillips, Powell, Greenwood, Dawson, Shiels, Archer, Drury, Duursma, George, Goater, Stephenson, Bergman, and Lazzaro for those final bench spots. I'd be happy with any of them playing honestly, and with a good run of health our VFL team should be loaded.

heading into Xmas this is mine but it’s a long summer ahead;

FB:, K.Dawson, Comben, McDonald

HB: Sheezel ,Corr , Fisher

HF:Thomas , Zurhaar, Stephenson

R: Xerri, LDU, Simpkin

INT: McKercher, Philips, Powell, Lazzaro, Greenwood

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best Lineup for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad