Best Saints memory

Remove this Banner Ad

sitting amongst thousands of port members at aami screaming my head off as we won our first ever minor premiership, and cost them a place in the finals. i survived, though my uncle never invited me to another game.
on tv it would have to be the win over west coast for harvs.
and goddard's mark - i think i woke up the whole of switzerland.

Bloody tough but Round 14, 2009 vs Geelong.. That moment when Gardi took that massive mark & goaled. Really hit me then that we quite possibly could do something special that year....That entire game was just awesome actually, best game ive ever been too...

I have a few that really stand out..

1996, pre season GF. I was 14 at the time and living in Brisbane. Both my Dad and I are massive, borderline obssesive Saints fans. Living in Brisbane at the time, hardly any footy was broadcast, let alone a pre season cup GF. Desperate to watch the game and have a taste of any sort of success, my Dad booked a room at the Mariott down the coast, where the game was being broadcast live. We sat on the bed in the room fixated on every single contest and then partied like it was...1996. After the game my Dad went out for a few forthies laving me to explore the hotel and the channels they provide on the TV:thumbsu:

1997, the prelim V NMFC. My older bro is a mad roos supporter and was cocky as **** at this stage, to get one up on him, Carey and Mckernan was unreal. When Mckernan did his shoulder I was convinvced we were home and let him know about it.

2009 prelim/gf. In the early stages of '09 I was beggining to become very confident that the might Sainters would make the GF, on the back of this confidence I proceeded to make the necessary arrangements to ensure that I would be there on the last saturday of September to watch my boys battle it out. Watching the game that Friday night was exhausting to say the least, but when Rooey toed one of the ground in the final minutes to put us through I lost the plot! The missus and I were juming around the lounge room like a pair a crazy people in celebration. The following week, although the boys lost, is a week that will stay with me forever. Getting to see my team in a GF and a cold wintery Melbourne afternoon with 100,000 people was an amazing experience. The fact that the boys slugged it so well and were in it up to their necks all game made it better.

2010 first GF. More specifically Lennys goal and BJ's mark and goal. Like the previous year, I had made plans early in the season to travel down in the hope that the boys would make it. The whole day was terrific, sun shining, the walk to the ground, the crowd!!! For most of the game the mood around us was one of hope, but when Lenny kicked his goal and the BJ followed it, the feeling turned to belief and for a short while we felt like we were going to win the cup (short lived of course). But for those precious few moments I began to dream of heading to Morrabbin and celebrating a premiership victory, an unbelievable feeling for a die hard fan.

The tackle on Cory Mckernan over the boundary line in the 1997 prelim was another great moment I remember.

Unfortunatly he injured his shoulder from that, which really sucks, but that was such a defining moment of the season, let alone game, that I won't forget it.

I thought to myself "the Saints are here to get a win, and I doubt we will leave without one".

Being at the Junction Oval in '63 when Carl Ditterich made his debut. I've never seen a player stand out on the field so much.

Going to Moorabbin as an 9,10,11,12,13, year old when Plugger was on fire. And when the whole crowd followed him from end to end the day he kicked 15 against the swans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that Pre-Season GF against carlton where we won by 10 goals. I think it was 96..

The 1992 final where we beat collingwood at waverly - was away with my parents on holiday, watching that on the tv in the hotel room as a 10 year old..

Footy just isnt the way it used to be..
*sigh*

Theres been alot of good memories for me. But I have to say, I was at both GF's last year and in the 1st when we hit the front in the last quater I thought we were going to win it and that was my best memory. Not far behind was round 14 2009 v geelong when Gardiner took that mark in what I consider the 2nd best game ive ever watched us play. It was an epic game with an epic finish. I quote Dennis Cometti; "AND GARDINER RISES LIKE A COLOSSUS!!!"

[youtube]p2BBs5CcmXQ[/youtube]

I've been very lucky in a sense that I'm only 17 so from the moment I really started to follow St Kilda (when I was about 9 or 10), we were on the up and slowly becoming a force. I'll never forget the 2009 prelim final win over the Dogs. I still regard that night as one of, if not, the best night of my life. When Riewoldt stuck the foot out and put it through the big sticks for the sealer and seeing the crowd erupt like they did (as some other people have pointed out), it's a moment that I'll never forgot. The excitement I went through hours after the game, the realization that I'll be witnessing my first ever grand final is something I wish I could go through season after season. It was more than a win for me. It was an experience. Definitely hands down the greatest memory I'll have as a supporter who bleeds red, white and black. Only a premiership will knock this off top spot.

- Troy Schwarze goal against Brisbane.
- BJs Mark in the GF #1 and just about everything He & Lenny did.
- Pre-lim Final vs. The Dogs in '09.
- Harveys 350th against the Eagles in Perth. Defined the odds and gave them a bath, turned our season around.

There's definitely been a few more as well.

Troy Schwarze goal was the best live experience for me. Lost my voice when I jumped up screaming/hugging randoms. Was a massive positive as a hospital break whilst my old man was in a coma. Was going to move to melbs because of it - 3 job interviews on the Monday were difficult:)

05 elimination final was epic. I will still offer my fiancé as a vessel to father future father sons selections from Robert Harvey. I'll raise that kid as my own.

BJs mark is probably my best memory tho. Didn't even see him kick the goal. Didn't need to watch it he is ice cold in that situation. Plus i was too busy waving a chair above my head in elephant & wheelbarrow cause I'd lost it.

Finally after losing 05 prelim I walked into rooeys pub with a mate to watch eagles/crows whilst waiting for a train back to albury. Looked up upon entering to see Harvs, G Train and hammer. Whole list was there. Got absolutely pole axed and met heaps of the boys. Was probably 5 other ppl in the whole joint. The thread is meant to be about my best 'memory' though isn't it... Gotta say this memory is a bit hazy lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Saints memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back