Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, in the end. But if North were as far ahead as they should have been at half time, Adelaide were beaten.

I figure that if 60% is an accepted goalkicking rate then 3 out of 5 shots is OK. 3 out of 5 shots is 3.2-20 so every 5 shots should get you 20 points. Therefore every shot should be worth 4 points. Now let's extend that to the first half of the 1998 Grand Final.

North Melbourne 6.15-51 equals 21 shots which should net a side at least 84 points. Adelaide were 4.3-27 -> 7 shots -> 28 points.

If the score at half time was North 84 vs Adelaide 28, would Adelaide have been able to get back into it?? Doubtful.

But all credit to the Crows who made the better of the chances on the day and therefore were deserving winners.
I agree

Also Sydney 1996 and Brisbane 2004

Geelong and Port are the two biggest winners from the Father Son rule.:thumbsdown:

Geelong and Port played off for the 2007 Grand Final.

Coincidence? I think not.:thumbsdown:

Thankfully this embarrassing rule has been altered and in 10 or so years the validity of premiers can return to being untainted.

So if Wayne Carey has a son you'll be ok seeing him in a Geelong jumper :p. Great rule F-S that prevents the comp from becoming sterile. And l'd love to see Carey Jnr playing for North. History & passion.

From what I can remember and from my Dad who had to live through the hell that was Melbourne.

Geelong 1953 collingwood beat them for the first time in over a year in the semi final before meeting them again in the GF and we won.

Melbourne in 1958 they were the most dominant side of the times and we had come up against them in I think 3 GF before and lost. But the weather had something to say.

Geelong 1968 can't really remember but I believe Geelong should have won that one.

collingwood 1970 dominated all year except for 60 minutes.

Collingwood 1977 again pretty much should have won that one too

Geelong 1980 to some degree, they were certainly better than us, but we beat them by a kick and got thumped the following week, after Hafey trained them into the ground after coming from 5th, in those days you only trained 2 days a week, they were part time, still drank and smoked but Hafey trained them every night. I remember Ronnie coming off the ground against geelong and vomiting and gasping, he was stuffed.

Geelong 1993

Essendon 1999

Port Adelaide 2002/3

Funny thing, even if I am a pies supporter. You can't say Geelong and Collingwood don't give good value for money in terms of playing for the whole season. Some teams must weap to think that collingwood makes the finals 75% of the time. We make a GF every once every 5 years. 47 GF's isn't too bad, if you don't take into consideration that we have only won 14.

Crows 2005-2006.
Power 2001-2003
Sants 2004-2006.

These were all great sides. Especially the first two.

Port Adelaide finished third at the end of the minor round in 2001, so how can they be labed 'the best side that didn't win the flag' for that year?

In actual fact, Essendon finished minor premiers that season!

It does annoy me when people lump 2001 in with 2002 & 2003...

We were the best side in 02,03, we beat Brisbane often.

So yes we were the best side of the year, and we didnt win a flag...

Surely winning the 02 and 03 minor premiership proves that....

Likewise with Adelaide, only they missed out on one Minor Premiership.

If the team wins the minor premiership and doesn't win the flag, then they should be in this thread.

finals game >>>>>>>>>>>>> home and away game

The lions built themselves up to the finals as a structured thing not 100% from the start of the H&A. the power couldn't go with the lions or the magpies for that matter in finals. Finals require an extra 10% which power couldnt give so they werent the best side in the comp they were the 3rd best side 2 years in a row which is a bloody great effort considering its a 16 team comp. :thumbsu:

rnd 7 - Brisbane beat Port by 57 at the gabba
rnd 9 - Port beat the pies by 5 at aami
rnd 22 - Port beat Brisbane by 6 at aami
QF - Pies beat port by 13 at aami
PF - Brisbane beat port by 56 at the gabba

And they only finished 1 game clear on top

Hardly a dominant team who lost a premiership, they struggled against both the actual GF teams in 02.

its these facts that people try to forget.

hahaha so lions 2 port 1 and the lions WON the flag YET port were the best side??? um what? hahaha facts always go missing in a story.

Collingwood 1973 has to be a chance..

Finished the season 19-3, with a % of 125.45

Lost the 2nd semi to Carlton by 20 points at Waverly.

Lost the prelim to Richmond by 7points after leading by 45 points at half time..
All time greatest choke i think it is a bigger choke than 1970. For a side to just dominate the season then go out in straight sets surely should be a contender in this thread.

From what I can remember and from my Dad who had to live through the hell that was Melbourne.

Geelong 1953 collingwood beat them for the first time in over a year in the semi final before meeting them again in the GF and we won.

Melbourne in 1958 they were the most dominant side of the times and we had come up against them in I think 3 GF before and lost. But the weather had something to say.

Geelong 1968 can't really remember but I believe Geelong should have won that one.

collingwood 1970 dominated all year except for 60 minutes.

Collingwood 1977 again pretty much should have won that one too

Geelong 1980 to some degree, they were certainly better than us, but we beat them by a kick and got thumped the following week, after Hafey trained them into the ground after coming from 5th, in those days you only trained 2 days a week, they were part time, still drank and smoked but Hafey trained them every night. I remember Ronnie coming off the ground against geelong and vomiting and gasping, he was stuffed.

Geelong 1993

Essendon 1999

Port Adelaide 2002/3

Funny thing, even if I am a pies supporter. You can't say Geelong and Collingwood don't give good value for money in terms of playing for the whole season. Some teams must weap to think that collingwood makes the finals 75% of the time. We make a GF every once every 5 years. 47 GF's isn't too bad, if you don't take into consideration that we have only won 14.

Well said, there is no doubt that Collingwood over the years have always given their fans reason to hope, and Geelong has to a slightly lesser degree. Cats have made the finals very often, and all bar seven campaigns have ended in sadness, but it gives fans some hope and optimism for the future. I bet the Dogs, who have made just two grand finals and have never once finished as minor premiers would give their right arm for as many shots at a flag as Collingwood, or even Geelong. Geelong's had five Grand Finals in 18 years, Dogs two in 83 seasons.

Has to be West Coast of 2007.
If a side has ever had a worse run with injury during a premiership defence i'd like to see it.
Without Cousins missing the first 15, Judd on 1 leg most of the year and Kerr missing the last 8 weeks, the Eagles would have had an easy stroll to back to back premiership glory.
Collingwood could only draw with West Coast without Judd, Cousins and Kerr in the second round of finals, then got within a goal of Geelong. Geelong were NOT unbeatable.
A full strength Eagles side WOULD have beaten Geelong at on the last Saturday in September.

Other than that, Essendon were unlucky not to win in 99.

I'm still really dirty about how we were robbed in 98 in terms of our PF opponents. Consider this:

We pumped Adelaide (the eventual premiers) in the first final after finishing 4th.
Then they played Sydney and won and we played Stkilda and won quite comfortably.
What happened next still astounds me. In that Adelaide (who finished a spot below us) Played the Bulldogs in their PF keeping in mind the Bullies finished the H/A in 2nd. And the demons had to play the Roos (on a friday night - 6day break) After the roos had finished a game clear on top!!.

So put simply, the crows finished below us, got pumped by us, but when we both made prelims we played the top-ranked team!!. Thank-god they changed the system.

Not saying we were the best (because north beat us convincingly) - but we were streets ahead of the premiers.

Thoughts anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be West Coast of 2007.
If a side has ever had a worse run with injury during a premiership defence i'd like to see it.
Without Cousins missing the first 15, Judd on 1 leg most of the year and Kerr missing the last 8 weeks, the Eagles would have had an easy stroll to back to back premiership glory.

Excuses, excuses.

It was not anybody's fault - except for his own - that Cousins had a late start to the season.

If Judd was so debilitated, then he should have been given a rest.

Collingwood could only draw with West Coast without Judd, Cousins and Kerr in the second round of finals, then got within a goal of Geelong. Geelong were NOT unbeatable.

We almost beat you in round two at Subiaco in 2007 and before that, beat you 3 times out of 4.

A full strength Eagles side WOULD have beaten Geelong at on the last Saturday in September.

Impossible. You would have played Geelong in the prelim. So how can you beat them in the grand final?

As much as it pains me to say it, you'd have to give some consideration to a team that played in 5 grand finals in 5 years and didn't managed to win a single one. I give you Collingwood 1977 - 1981.

I only partially agree. It is either a miracle, or a testament to Tommy Hafey's coaching abilities, that the 79-81 team made the GF - particularly 1980. Sure, there was a nucleus of wonderful players: Picken, Moore, Kink, Magro, Ireland, Barham, Wearmouth etc, but there were an awful lot of recycled players who were either past their peak or of dubious quality: Brewer, Irwin, Young, Low, Edwards, Ohlsen etc.

The 77-78 team is the one where I do agree with you. This team combined champions from 2 different eras: Thompson, the Richardson brothers, Twiggy Dunne, Fabulous Phil Carman, with the best players of the 79-81 side: Picken, Moore, Magro, Barham etc. It is definitely the most talented Collingwood side I've seen (was too young to really remember too much about 1970...)

Dogs in 97. Led Adelaide by 5 goals at three quarter time in the preliminary final and lost by three points. Would have been better than the Saints the next week so very unlucky not to win in 1997.

Dogs in the '97 prelim had all the luck in the world in the first half ... the Crows couldn't take a trick. 0 goals 7 points in the first term ... Modra going down with a knee injury.

In the second half the Crows didn't play much better or the Bulldogs much worse so that the Crows made up five goals ... it was more a case that the Crows were slightly the better side all day but had zero luck in the first half and a far more normal run of the bounce, as it were, in the second half.

The Crows had more scoring shots than the Bulldogs that day, and only just won at the last gasp by a few points.

The Crows would have been dead unlucky to lose that match.

I'm still really dirty about how we were robbed in 98 in terms of our PF opponents. Consider this:

We pumped Adelaide (the eventual premiers) in the first final after finishing 4th.
Then they played Sydney and won and we played Stkilda and won quite comfortably.
What happened next still astounds me. In that Adelaide (who finished a spot below us) Played the Bulldogs in their PF keeping in mind the Bullies finished the H/A in 2nd. And the demons had to play the Roos (on a friday night - 6day break) After the roos had finished a game clear on top!!.

So put simply, the crows finished below us, got pumped by us, but when we both made prelims we played the top-ranked team!!. Thank-god they changed the system.

Not saying we were the best (because north beat us convincingly) - but we were streets ahead of the premiers.

Thoughts anyone

In 1998 the Crows played round 22 in Perth. Melbourne got them on the "trip back from Perth" week ... so talking about how significant a "6 day break" for Melbourne was, you have to look at what other sides faced ...

Apart from the one let-down in the first week of finals, the Crows played five consecutive travel games (I think an AFL record to this very day) to finish off 1998, all finals games against sides who had finished higher on the ladder, and lost only one match ... the only final that wasn't an elimination match ... and hence the only final they could afford to lose.

There is no way that Melbourne of 1998 could have played five consecutive road games and finished it with a flag ... nor could they have beaten North.

For all those posters mindlessly picking a year when their own team finished second or narrowly missed out on making the GF or something - take your bloody goggles off!

- Port were not the best side in '02 and '03.
- West Coast were not the best side in '07
- Adelaide were not the best side in '05
- Kangas were not the best side in '94
...etc etc

BTW, Kerr-iffic: I'm not sure many people share your conviction in thinking that a fully fit West Coast would have beaten Geelong in 07. Geelong had a great defence, Eagles have an ordinary forward line, and Geelong had a very high scoring forward line. You would have won the midfield, but not by that much, considering that we still had great players in Ablett and Bartel, and Ling has shown he can shut down Kerr (he kept him to zero touches in the second half when we flogged you in round 7).

Best sides that didn't win the flag would have to be:

Essendon of '99 - unfortunate to lose to Carlton by a point in the PF... Carlton would beat Essendon when it mattered if they were 16th on the ladder and the Dons were 1st. The Kangas can thank the blues for the '99 premiership - it made up for '98 though I suppose... see below:

Kangaroos '98 - what can we say about Adelaide that year?! They finished 5th, got flogged in the first final, then played the easier of the two prelims and watched as the Kangas scored 2.9 in the second quarter of the grand final to kick themselves out of it. Adelaide that year were the luckiest premiers of all time.

A lot of people forget that in 1991, the Eagles dominated early, but by season's end they were really out of steam and lost to the wooden spooners before blowing their first home final. Hawthorn stormed home in the 2nd half of that season, winning something like 12 or 13 games out of 14 to take out the flag.

Essendon in 1999 are the one. They were so dominant that it seemed like they'd inevitably win, until they stumbled against Carlton and made the flag easy pickings for North.

Carlton were barnstorming through late 1994 also, as mentioned, until Essendon (who were having a crap season) upset them and they lost top spot and then got jumped by Melbourne in the finals.

I really didn't believe we could win the flag against the Essendon machine. But as soon as they chocked against Carlton I knew the flag was ours. Payback for 98.

I also pick the Saints for 97

The same old one, Essendon 1990, didn't play for 2 weeks in a row thanks to a drawn final Eagles V Collingwood. Then lost the GF, but again excuses excuses

Eagles 2005 were the best side.

That's highly debatable - at least moreso than years like '91, '98 and '99. In 2005 St Kilda were very good but got cruelled with Injuries. Adelaide were very good but lost Riccuito to suspension for the first week of the finals and subsequently lost to the Saints, forcing them to play a prelim in Perth. And then after all of that, Sydney won the flag fair and square in an even contest with the Eagles, when both teams were more or less full strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back