Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seen posted in the Brad Hill thread the other day the highest he ranked in the PCM was 13th in 4 years with us and no doubt played close to full seasons in most.

Subsequently don't place all your value in stats and B&F votes.
Again, not the point.
Just shows where the coaching staff valued him, and yes other factors, but were happy to part with 23 for him.

Impey is probably a better player than Jed Anderson.

A bit of background...

We recruited Jarman Impey with pick #21 in 2013 and he played 18 games in his first season. Impey started his career as a defender but was switched to the forward line in 2015 where he has played ever since. Impey may eventually develop into a midfielder but he hasn't played regularly in the midfield as yet. that is probably no reflection because he has had Wines, Wingard, Ebert, Powell-Pepper, Hartlett and Robbie Gray ahead of him. The move to the forward line showed some signs of success and 2015 was his best season. Then in October 2016 Impey lost his father which may have affected his preseason and his off field behaviour. Early this year Impey was involved in a hit run incident in Norwood and left the scene and was charged. He is reported to have run home to the beach side suburb of Henley Beach which is over 15 kms from the scene of the incident. I guess that is testimony to his fitness if nothing else. Impey's subsequent 2017 was not as effective as 2016 but this maybe due in part to the loss of his father and his court appearance.

Thus far Impey has played 75 games and only five players taken in that 2013 draft have played more. This suggests that Hinkley regarded Impey in our best 22 although a few of us did not share that view at times. Jarman Impey is great mates with Jackson Trengove who is now at Footscray. If he doesn't work out you could always trade him to the Bulldogs. If you are wondering why he is named Jarman his mother was a red hot Crows fan who named him after Andrew Jarman so he got off to a bad start in life.

After all that i hope this trade goes through. :)

Thanks for sharing the details. Given these personal challenges, I am not shocked that Clarkson is keen to bring him in and try and give him a new start with strong support.

There's 2 reasons I can see hat we're after Impey.

1. Poppy is going and if we can get Impey in for Poppy and not lose much we've done well at least in the age category.

2. We are looking to adopt more of a Richmond small runner type gameplan and want a speedy fit type. The Tigers had 3 players in Butler, Rioli and Constanza that had less touches than Impey.
Is poppy going?? It seems a sure think on BF but as far a I can see has been reported nowhere

There's 2 reasons I can see hat we're after Impey.

1. Poppy is going and if we can get Impey in for Poppy and not lose much we've done well at least in the age category.

2. We are looking to adopt more of a Richmond small runner type gameplan and want a speedy fit type. The Tigers had 3 players in Butler, Rioli and Constanza that had less touches than Impey.

I don't think he will be a guaranteed starter but could be used for some pace off half back. We don't really have anyone in that mould

Again, not the point.
Just shows where the coaching staff valued him, and yes other factors, but were happy to part with 23 for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but based on your theory it's what the coaching staff thought of Hill at Hawthorn? For me personally he was more than just the '13th or 19th' best team contributor.

Last edited:
Hinkley can't really rate him that highly if he played 20 games this year and didn't make top 10 in best and fairest.
Did he even make top 20?

Equal 19th;

2017 JOHN CAHILL MEDAL LEADERBOARD
1. Paddy Ryder - 241 votes
2. Charlie Dixon - 234
3. Tom Jonas - 203
4. Robbie Gray - 202
5. Brad Ebert - 190
6. Ollie Wines - 184
7. Sam Gray - 171
8. Chad Wingard - 166
9. Travis Boak - 152
10. Justin Westhoff - 145

OTHER VOTES
140 J. Polec
139 D. Byrne-Jones
131 T. Clurey
122 S.Powell-Pepper
121 H. Hartlett
94 M. Broadbent
86 J. Trengove
85 D. Houston
77 K. Amon
J. Impey

72 J. Pittard
58 J. Hombsch
44 J. Neade
39 A. Young
28 D. Howard
20 R. Bonner
17 M. White
15 B. Ah Chee
A. Johnson
6 T. Marshall
5 J. Toumpas
4 B. Eddy
3 L. Austin

Equal 19th;

2017 JOHN CAHILL MEDAL LEADERBOARD
1. Paddy Ryder - 241 votes
2. Charlie Dixon - 234
3. Tom Jonas - 203
4. Robbie Gray - 202
5. Brad Ebert - 190
6. Ollie Wines - 184
7. Sam Gray - 171
8. Chad Wingard - 166
9. Travis Boak - 152
10. Justin Westhoff - 145

OTHER VOTES
140 J. Polec
139 D. Byrne-Jones
131 T. Clurey
122 S.Powell-Pepper
121 H. Hartlett
94 M. Broadbent
86 J. Trengove
85 D. Houston
77 K. Amon
J. Impey

72 J. Pittard
58 J. Hombsch
44 J. Neade
39 A. Young
28 D. Howard
20 R. Bonner
17 M. White
15 B. Ah Chee
A. Johnson
6 T. Marshall
5 J. Toumpas
4 B. Eddy
3 L. Austin
Officially a fringe player? Or would that be 22nd

Finish in B&F can indicate how well someone played their role, or how important they were to success, you'd have to know why a player got the votes to judge on it alone.

that said you have 22 guys that take the field so not everyone is going to be top 10 but that doesn't mean the team would be better without them

Hill might not have finished high but we all saw the impact of losing him for how we wanted to play.

Worth remembering Lake was never top 10 in the Crimmins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is on The Age live trade news:

Hawks cool on Miles
Daniel Cherny reports that Hawthorn had shown some early interest, but have cooled on Richmond onballer Anthony Miles.

There is not much interest in the out-of-contract inside midfielder.

We're comparing two very different players who played completely different roles in this example. Hardwick a small defensive type who is a very good user of the pill and Impey who played as a high half forward flank type this season and has average disposal. As I mentioned, stats don't tell the full story but Port fans don't rate him very highly and he has not produced enough to justify is giving pick 32. Pick 42 and a swap of later picks might be a fairer trade.

Rioli might be a closer like for like comparison based on the type of player and role played but even then on current output Impey is a long way behind. Him being contracted and us being the one chasing has seriously inflated the expectation of value. Kennedy from the Giants is an earlier draft pick (taken at 13) yet somehow this value is only a second rounder despite only being in the system two years and showing year on year improvement. Give me a spell.

Right you are. I thought I read somewhere that Impey played on and beat Betts, as well as other small forwards, but it seems that he was either up forward or on the wing. This hyperlink below shows a summary of his just OK 2017 year.
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117643/Jarman-IMPEY

Here is comparison of a few player averages from SEN’s player ratings for 2017.
Jarmon Impey………Small Forward / Wing.. 4.4
Luke Bruest………….Small Forward …………… 4.5
Daniel Rioli…………..Small Forward……………. 4.5
Taylor Duryea………Small Forward…….……… 4.6
Eddie Betts…………..Small Forward….……….. 5.3
Charlie Cameron...Small Forward / Wing.. 5.3
Billy Hartung………..Wing….………………………. 5.4
Bradley Hill...........Wing........................ 6.1
Andrew Gaff..........Wing........................ 6.7
Blake Hardwick…….Small Backman…………. 4.4
Andrew McGrath….Small Backman………….. 6.0
Ryan Burton………….Medium Backman……… 6.4
Dustin Martin………..Centre / Forward..……. 7.4
Patrick Dangerfield.Centre / Forward………. 7.4
Tom Mitchell………...Centre………………………… 7.8

Last edited:
Port Adelaide fans: thanks for taking Impey of our hands! He is such a frustrating player, can't kick, doesn't get enough of the ball.

Hawks: So, pick 42?

Port Adelaide fans: what? He's 22 years old, best 22, and Ken Hinkley loves him! First rounder!!!
Port supporters are not to be taken seriously.

For all our mooted 'goodwill' that we are racking up for being so great to trade with it is appearing very one sided. Impey deal should have been done day 1 given his circumstances. Port starting to stall for no real reason.

In fairness to Port, they've got about 6 deals they're working through at the moment. Busy times

Mate, if we pay pick 32 we will have been screwed over. Any more than that and we might as well pack it in.

He really isn't very good.

You've got to tell me what the difference is between pick 32, 26 or 39?
Seriously, you've picked some arbitrary number pick and said 'that's it! - no more!!!'.
Such silly seasonings.
If we like him and determine he's worth between picks say 20 - 40, the value is incredibly hard to determine for any individual number.
I get the thinking you feel assured of a certain level talent of kid at picks 1-15, but after that beauty is in the eye of each club's beholder and certainly it's impossible to say any imported player is worth pick 32 but not pick 36.

Come on, lets just enjoy an injection of change to the list and be hopeful of what it might mean next season and beyond.

Last edited:
For all our mooted 'goodwill' that we are racking up for being so great to trade with it is appearing very one sided. Impey deal should have been done day 1 given his circumstances. Port starting to stall for no real reason.

I have no knowledge about what approach Port are taking into this current trade - but I share your concern about it more generally. I like the fact that we are fair and generous. But perhaps there is some limit on how long we should operate that way if it never comes back the other way. Time will tell I guess.

It's a little frustrating, isn't it?

We invariably trade fair and do the right thing by our own players, yet there isn't much goodwill coming back our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back