Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

That was actually the second in a row iirc. Fremantle had played Geelong at Kardinia Park the previous week and were leading by five goals in the last quarter only to lose when the final siren went.

Haha don't remind me...

Very interesting to look at Freo's team from that week - only 7 who played are still on our list, only 5 are playing this week (Crowley, Ibbotson, Johnson, McPharlin, Mundy) - with Sandi and Pav on the sidelines.

not really, Sydney had Hawthorn's measure for most of the day, had they actually lost, it would have been one hell of a choke-job by Sydney after leading by as many as 28 points at one stage in the game.

Hawthorn finished top of the ladder and were red hot favourites for the flag.

11 minutes into the last quarter they were up by two goals. In the following 21 minutes Sydney kicked 4.2 to 0.4.

images

2 mentions involving Gold Coast...

v Richmond 2012
v Port 2011

Just a comment - I wonder how many Suns supporters said after either game "phew, lucky they choked!"

We choked away the Grand Final last year. If you look at the simple set shots we missed during the game, Roughy/Buddy/Gunston all missing shots they'd kick 99/100 in training, it would be fair to say that nervous football cost us the game. A clear choke.

not really, Sydney had Hawthorn's measure for most of the day, had they actually lost, it would have been one hell of a choke-job by Sydney after leading by as many as 28 points at one stage in the game.
Idiot. We lead by 18 points late in the game. They took every chance that came their way, we stuffed up nearly everything.

I can't really recall it, but an Essendon vs Carlton game back in the 80's. Bombers were down by 4-5 goals with approx 5 minutes left. The Bombers won.

That would have to be a fair choke.

Aslo just missing lots of shots and set shots on goal is a bit chokish.
There's a much more recent one than that..the Bombers were leading by 48 points at the G and the Blues stormed home for a comfortable win on the back of Fev kicking 8...i remember it well as i was there . ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest choke in all sports that I've seen.
NBA - 1995 Eastern Conference Semi Finals.
Knicks v Pacers
Knicks up 105-99 with 18.7 seconds left, neither team had any timeouts left. Pacers with the in-bound.
Took 2 secs for Reggie Miller to drain a three. Knicks still up by 3.
Full-court press on the inbound. Knicks throw the ball in, the clock starts, in only 3.5 secs Reggie Miller intercepts the pass, steps back behind the line, drains another 3.
Still 13.2 secs remaining, scores now tied.
Knicks inbound, the Knicks' John Starks is fouled 4 secs later. Has two free throws to rebuild the lead, but as a 75% career free-throw shooter, amazingly misses both. Patrick Ewing has the putback from the second miss, and misses as well. Miller recovers the loose ball, and is then fouled by Starks. There is still 7.5 seconds on the clock.
Miller makes both free-throws (making it 8 points in less than 9 seconds). Knicks take the ball down the court, and the ball-carrier trips over on the final drive and fails to get a shot off.

This flow of mistakes by the Knicks puts the Richmond choke v GC last year in the shade. You don't even have to like basketball to understand how big this was.

Haha don't remind me...

Very interesting to look at Freo's team from that week - only 7 who played are still on our list, only 5 are playing this week (Crowley, Ibbotson, Johnson, McPharlin, Mundy) - with Sandi and Pav on the sidelines.

It looks the same if you see Melbourne's team the following week. When I think back to who starred that day it was Wonaeamirri, Bruce, Mclean, Moloney, Mcdonald. Only players still on our list who played that day: Frawley, Jamar, Garland and Jones. Also interesting to note that Jones the current best player on our team only had four disposals that day

Geelong has had three GF chokes I can recall: 92, 95, 08. There was a game against WCE at Simonds Stadium last decade where we lead by a fair margin and they came back and beat us. I think it was the year they won the flag. That was an embarrassing game for the Cats.

North Melbourne leading Essendon by 69 points in the 2nd qtr only to lose by 12 points.

The amazing thing about that game (other than the 69 point comeback) was that as you point out, we were up by 69 points early in the second quarter. David Teague kicked a goal after the siren to put us 18 points up at half time :eek:

The second half was a cracker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back