Biggest crowd you have been at?

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest I've been to was the 2000 Grand Final, 96200 something.

My second biggest crowd was this years Grand Final.

My third biggest was one of the previous Anzac Day games or this years PF.

1970 Grand Final Carlton v Collingwood....yeah , in the days when anyone could go to the GF.......all you had to do was line up overnight at the MCG , before the bloody corporates took over MY game.

And in the days when you drank cans at the footy. The crowd was so big that there was no way you could get out for a leek (standing room I'm talking) so you used your empty cans , then stood on 'em for a better view....ah , thems was the days !

I was in the bottom deck of the 'new' Western Stand' and the crowd was around 121,000.

Sen - bloody - sational !

-Rico

Here are the ground I have been too.

MCG: 86,000 (Hawthorn Vs Essendon Preliminary Final)

Colonial Stadium: 50,100 (Hawthorn Vs Essendon, Round 9)

Optus Oval: 25,000 (Hawthorn Vs Carlton, Round 2)

Shell Stadium: 22,000 (Hawthorn Vs Geelong, 1999?)

Waverley Park: 72,000 (Hawthorn Vs Sydney, Round 22, 1999)

I hardly ever go to AFL matches. So here's some good local crowds that I have been there to see.

Good AFL crowd I have seen
1994-SOO: SA v. Victoria. Full house of 45,000+
1999-Adelaide v. Port Adelaide (25th Anniversary of Footy Park, Adelaide won) Full house.

Local level crowds
2000-SANFL GF Central v. W'ville/W.T. Almost 35,000 (But there has been better ones!)
2001-State League, SANFL v. VFL--7,300 (Mostly because there were 5,000 free beers to be had afterwards! :D )

Originally posted by FIGJAM
Biggest crowd I ever went to for footy was the 1995 (I think) Anzac Day game where bloody 20,000 of us got locked out! :mad:

Lined up for ages, we managed to get 5 mins before the game. Biggest game I've ever been to. The soccer was loud tonight on the TV, don't know how it compared to that day, even the top of the Ponford Stand was deafening.

Bob

Why haven't the Freo supporters posted yet? ;)

Seriously, what's the biggest crowd Freo have played in front of....40,000?

Hawkfan5, in 1999 there were 27,000 at Kardinia Park for that game...it was chockers as Hawthorn were having a reunion of the 1989 premiership team, and Geelong were top of the ladder with 5 straight wins.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Why haven't the Freo supporters posted yet? ;)

Seriously, what's the biggest crowd Freo have played in front of....40,000?

Hawkfan5, in 1999 there were 27,000 at Kardinia Park for that game...it was chockers as Hawthorn were having a reunion of the 1989 premiership team, and Geelong were top of the ladder with 5 straight wins.

I was in the 'standing' area which has flimsy corrugated iron sheeting where there should be decent crowd barriers. They should put a crowd limit of 25,000 on that ground right now. Anyone heard of Hillsboro ?

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
I was at the last game to draw over 100,000 people - that being the 1986 Grand Final: 101,861.

The biggest I've ever been in was the 1983 Grand Final: 110,332.

They were both terrific days :D

The two Grand Finals in between weren't bad either ;):D;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the biggest crow i've been at is the 1995 Essendon Richmond final and the crow was 88,00 something the Richmond Carlton semin final would probley be we 2rd which had 83,00 something,Dan are you there? :D as yous can probley tell the only big crowd i have been to are Richmond afl games ;)

Originally posted by Rohan_

There was 90,000 there easily and I was there watching Daicos turn the most overrated defender of the century inside out.

Sorry Rohan, SOS actually gave Daicos a bath that day. Daicos kicked a great goal but did little else. I really think you should get over your SOS hatred - bite your lip and admit he was a good player!

Anyway, to answer the question, I was at the 97' GF which was possibly the biggest crowd since the 86 GF (correct me if I am wrong). For non GF crowds, the biggest would've been the Carl v Ess game in 2000, and then the Italy v Australia olumpic game last year.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Biggest football crowd I have been to: 91,960 - Victoria v South Australia - MCG 1989.

Sorry Goalden, but I can't agree that there was only 91,000 odd there. It was closer to 98, the joint was full, I have never been to a game where I couldn't move anywhere.

I went to the 95 GF and 2000 GF both over 90's. As for home and away, we played the cats once and got around 88,000 at the G mid 90's. Then last year when we played carlton in rnd 20. Both big games.

Originally posted by ricohawk
1970 Grand Final Carlton v Collingwood....yeah , in the days when anyone could go to the GF.......all you had to do was line up overnight at the MCG , before the bloody corporates took over MY game.

And in the days when you drank cans at the footy. The crowd was so big that there was no way you could get out for a leek (standing room I'm talking) so you used your empty cans , then stood on 'em for a better view....ah , thems was the days !

I was in the bottom deck of the 'new' Western Stand' and the crowd was around 121,000.

Sen - bloody - sational !

-Rico

I was at the 1970 GF 121,696.

But you couldnt line up. You had to purchase tickets.

First there was the ballot that you would send in to Allans Booking Agency in the middle of the year for series tickets and not get a look in.

Then a few weeks before the finals they would sell series tickets at the 'G but you had to sleep over and line up for days..

Then they would sel tickets to competing clubs the week before and again you hasd to line up for days and sleep over.

The days when you rocked up and first in best dressed were in the fifties.

They outlawed the MCG series sale b/c there was a near riot and stampede in 1969 at 5.00 am in the morning prior to sales starting at 7.30 am.

110,143 - 76 GF

Tickets courtesy of the mid season ballot for MCG series tickets. From memory, you had to cut the form out of the paper and send it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest crowd you have been at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back