Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, knee knock in the VFL and then meniscus tear a week later. Talk about mismanagement/misdiagnosis. surely with his history, they would have contemplated a scan after the knock?

Gutted for Marchbank, seriously over our medical team
Other knee. Hard to diagnose the left if you are looking at the right.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

G, I get your thinking but, as a male I’d love to hear what a sound analytical female supporter thinks. Blokes live too much in their heads without realising that, before they start intellectualising or thinking, they get captured by emotion.
Ok, I'll bite. Am a Mum. My family's barracked for Carlton for 130+ yrs. I get the heightened passions and heated discussions re. our beloved club. Re. Caleb, I'm gutted for him. For me talk re. Marchbank's contract status is a case of time and place. IMO, this isn't it. Not on same day fans have learned this latest awful news. Too soon. Let's see how Caleb goes after rehab. Suggestions of maybe moving Caleb to '23 rookie list (if possible) has merit.

IMO, a range of factors probably have contributed to our current injury woes. First time in many yrs, we have a coach that's demanded and implemented a rigorous and uncompromising training regime for our players. They now train how Voss expects them to play. Weitering, Cripps and Walsh already have this mindset. However, how many Blues players realistically trained at this sustained and intensive level under Teague? Brackets isn't a nickname for nothing.

In one off season, Voss' has instilled a culture of pride, accountability and professionalism. 'To me, the contest is absolutely critical', Voss said Sep '21. Nine months later and it's that 'contest' that has our players pushing themselves harder on the track. In games. To keep their spots. Pushing yourself repeatedly in 'contests', after yrs of doing so on an ad hoc basis, can have consequences. Especially if your body isn't conditioned for an extended season of 'contests'.

Add previous recruiting gambles of selecting some 'high risk/high reward' players with injury histories. It's come back to bite us. Carrying 1, or 2 of these players is ok. However, having 4+ players in this category is 10% of your list, is insanity. Also places greater pressure on your normally healthier players (eg Weitering prior to injury) to remain so. Rome wasn't built in a day. Carlton's playing list is a work in progress. However, we now have wiser astute heads at the helm. I can't see Cook & Sayers not making our extended injury list, one of their top priority issues to address, investigate and resolve.

I think you want players who can do that, sure, but are you willing for that list position to a) be paid above/around AFL average and b) unavailable more than 50% of the time?

If the list position isn't an issue via a rookie spot and the wage isn't hurting, I am more than happy to retain all three in the short term (next two years). But we need games from them, otherwise the list is hamstrung.
re a) I don't care
re b) of course not

The list build is far from complete- better let go options than those three.

gotta love it - possibly the end of a bloke's career but what's more important? "I posted about this last week - I'd like everyone to look at me cause I said something doubting this bloke's endurance" genuinely pathetic

Totally agree - bloody pathetic. In fact I was spot-on when I posted this fact just last week....

Ok, I'll bite. Am a Mum. My family's barracked for Carlton for 130+ yrs. I get the heightened passions and heated discussions re. our beloved club. Re. Caleb, I'm gutted for him. For me talk re. Marchbank's contract status is a case of time and place. IMO, this isn't it. Not on same day fans have learned this latest awful news. Too soon. Let's see how Caleb goes after rehab. Suggestions of maybe moving Caleb to '23 rookie list (if possible) has merit.

IMO, a range of factors probably have contributed to our current injury woes. First time in many yrs, we have a coach that's demanded and implemented a rigorous and uncompromising training regime for our players. They now train how Voss expects them to play. Weitering, Cripps and Walsh already have this mindset. However, how many Blues players realistically trained at this sustained and intensive level under Teague? Brackets isn't a nickname for nothing.

In one off season, Voss' has instilled a culture of pride, accountability and professionalism. 'To me, the contest is absolutely critical', Voss said Sep '21. Nine months later and it's that 'contest' that has our players pushing themselves harder on the track. In games. To keep their spots. Pushing yourself repeatedly in 'contests', after yrs of doing so on an ad hoc basis, can have consequences. Especially if your body isn't conditioned for an extended season of 'contests'.

Add previous recruiting gambles of selecting some 'high risk/high reward' players with injury histories. It's come back to bite us. Carrying 1, or 2 of these players is ok. However, having 4+ players in this category is 10% of your list, is insanity. Also places greater pressure on your normally healthier players (eg Weitering prior to injury) to remain so. Rome wasn't built in a day. Carlton's playing list is a work in progress. However, we now have wiser astute heads at the helm. I can't see Cook & Sayers not making our extended injury list, one of their top priority issues to address, investigate and resolve.
Good points KG.

Some of our injuries have also had nothing to do with the Coach’s ethos or the club’s player selection.

Pitto’s PCL injury occurred during a collision in a ruck contest against Freo. Same injury to Grundy caused by knee clash in ruck contest.

David Cuningham ruptured his acl when he landed awkwardly after a marking contest.

Weiters hurt his shoulder after a innocuous looking bump with De Goey, more to do with poor technique than anything.

Last edited:
Some of our injuries have also been due to nothing the club can do much about.

Putto’s PCL injury occurred during a collision in a ruck contest against Freo. Same injury to Grundy caused by knee clash in ruck contest.

A petition to change the ruck rules perhaps, to at least show something from the brass. Do something!

Stings a lot more when our backline stocks are so depleted. Some big questions looming for the list management team. Don't think it's a simple 'body can't hold up so see you later' decision. The assessment will definitely take into consideration who is available in the draft and at trade time as a KPD, and the prospect of that player or those players being ready to play senior footy round 1 next year.

First team with 12 on the rookie list. That'll show em.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

LOB and Owies won’t be on it next year, O’Mac is done. the rookie list is exactly there for prospective at best options of which Marchy and McGovern absolutely are considering their injury history’s.
We need to be drafting especially and trading in replacements earlier in the pecking order than rookie draft and MSD and we need list spots to be able to do this.
We have a contract for McGovern to finish and I really like what Marchy brings to the team but their inability to get on the park means they’re taking up valuable spots on the main list. List spots used for trading and picks in the Main National draft.
It’s a no brainer to me, we run the risk of them being lifetime free agents everytime they come out of contract but with their injury history’s I highly doubt a club will pay enough overs in dollars/years to prise them out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They say AFL is a cut throat business. Only few make it. But the players and the teams that are successful are the ones that buy in, that believe!
Belief is a powerful thing. It comes through in how you hold yourself, how you talk, your tonality, your body language.
It comes from a unity that you’re driving towards the same goal. That’s what creates success.
The reason Carlton has finally turned a corner is because of this belief brought in by Vossy and Cook. The club is backing and believing itself, getting around and supporting our players that’s success.
To say we simply cut Marchy is madness.
The club will put their arms around him, support him and bring him back to his best.
What a motivator for the rest of the team, to know that your club has your back and supports you. The rest of the club will see this and moving forward Everyone will give the 1%’s Because they believe in the club and each other. Look at curnow and doc. Perfect examples. Look at what their resurgence means to the team. That’s what drives and makes successful teams.
Shattered for Marchy, this will build his resilience, he will come back stronger and give it his all and give them hell!!!
Let’s go Baggers!!!

From what I've heard, Andrew Russell has pushed the players much harder this year. Voss believed the lads were unfit during the Teague years. AR advised Voss that the heavier loads “to catch up with other teams” means more injuries in 2022, but will balance itself out in 2023.

In regards to Marchy, I was aware that he went in for scans a couple days ago because his knee was quite inflamed following the game on Friday, but this is just really sad news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've heard, Andrew Russell has pushed the players much harder this year. Voss believed the lads were unfit during the Teague years. AR advised Voss that the heavier loads “to catch up with other teams” means more injuries in 2022, but will balance itself out in 2023.

In regards to Marchy, I was aware that he went in for scans a couple days ago because his knee was quite inflamed following the game on Friday, but this is just really sad news.
Interesting if true, and if it works out.

I remember a similar philosophy being employed by Rocket when he joined the Suns. He thought the Suns fitness was abysmal when he arrived and worked them much harder in the off-season, that season they had loads of injuries.

I don't recall how the following season/s went injury wise but obviously on field not much changed under him.

Pitto, Weiters and Cuninghams injuries were not due to heavier loads.

McGovern has a history of injuries and will only manage 33 games in 4 seasons with Carlton. Not really attributable to Vossy’s training regime.

Really sucks for marchy, poor guy just cant catch a break...

Some serious list management decisions will be made regarding these 4 injury prone players: Marchbank, McGovern, O'Mac, Cuningham.

Don't be surprised if one or two get delisted.

I feel like Marchbank and Mcgovern should be given atleast one more year. The other two, i just dont think its worked out for either parties.

We just haven't seen enough out of these 4 players, injuries will be our downfall this season, lets hope it doesn't follow us into 2023..

Seriously, jones retires, and we're without MarchBank, Gov, weeto, Parks, Williams, Omac. Where's Williamson in all this?
Bit of a crumpet back there now.
Thank god the doc, saad ,plow and Newman are holding it together.
Newman has impressed me. He's bought into whatever Voss is selling. Playing really well.

Marchbank setback not ideal. We'll be lucky to see him before years end?. 6-8 weeks?

In the business of winning premierships. You don't do that with half your list injured. Gotta make hard decisions. That anecdote is irrelevant as it useless.

I like Caleb as much as the next supporter. Just gotta cut some guys loose sometimes.
So if we go and get these players and in there first game they do a knee and are out of the game for a year do you just say sorry but we have to move you on

Seriously, jones retires, and we're without MarchBank, Gov, weeto, Parks, Williams, Omac. Where's Williamson in all this?
Bit of a crumpet back there now.
Thank god the doc, saad ,plow and Newman are holding it together.
Newman has impressed me. He's bought into whatever Voss is selling. Playing really well.

Marchbank setback not ideal. We'll be lucky to see him before years end?. 6-8 weeks?

Not sure if serious.....

The Marchbank situation is becoming unbelievable, usually injury prone players suffer from the same or related injuries over and over again. Very strange to see a player suffer from constant totally unrelated injuries. Once again we are destined to go a long time without a third tall defender.

Our depth isn't actually that bad, we have just been terribly hit in the same area with injury. Four tall defenders, two are injured and one has just come back into the AFL. 4 third tall defenders, three are injured long term, one is not AFL ready. Thankfully Plowman who is a good makeshift third tall defender has been really durable. 3 ruckmen, one is not AFL ready, one is injured.

Coming into the most important part of the season for us, the next 3 games plus the Geelong game in 5 weeks time, they are make or break, really poor time to be injury struck. The only good thing is that there is time for all of them to come back and find match fitness before finals, providing we get through the next period well and our finals position hasn't fallen off the rails.

Massive pressure on Young, Plowman and probably Durdin who pretty much has to come in. If they can hold us up for the next three weeks then these injuries don't hurt so much but gee it's a big ask with games against Lynch, Riewoldt and King in the next three weeks.

Someone get on the blower to Jones! Tell him get the jab and come back to the fold!
We need you!
Yup it’s demoralising & a bit grim , come October trade for Tall & mature defender & Ruckman even support Ruckman will do, if possible and with our 2022 draft 1st rounder, best tall KPD. Hope Curl Jr is up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back