Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anyone questioning Harris Andrews.
People can say that being a number 1 is the same as being a rookie selection once you get to your club, but we know that not to be true.

Weitering will settle and be a very good player, but for anyone to be surprised for him to be put under the spotlight for his relative ordinary performances, hasn't watched sports long enough. Don't think there would be anyone here who can put hand on heart and say they have no reservations on Weitering.
I have no reservations

Weiterings form slump started in his first year, when he started highlighting pain at every call.
Clubs exposed him early and things became somewhat more difficult for him and especially so when teams started playing through him last year.

Right now he's still spooked but a good thing Rowe won't be there tomorrow.
We can't keep massaging his development with kid gloves. At some point in time one he has to accept demand responsibility. Time's now.

I do not disagree buddy. But seeing as how so many of the best defenders in the league are surrounded by other decent defenders and have a team defence game plan that actually works i am willing to give our defenders a fair go. I do not think many defenders in other teams would be chomping at the bit to jump on our backline. The amount of turnovers we have and then that putting our defence under the pump and out of position it would make any defender look bad IMO. Plus the fact we get very little pressure from our mids and forwards also puts our defenders under more pressure. I would not want to be a backman in our team at the moment.

On a phone so it is a bit of a struggle to reply to all responses specifically.

Im only advocating trading him for something very very good like a top 5-7 pick to bring in a midfielder. We have backs covered and you can find lynden dunns etc to patch things if required.

Weiters development is a worry.
Can we develop a key back in our team? Maybe not.

Also i just don't see those glimpses where you see the talent, well not atleast since year 1. His marking which was a strength has completely disappeared imo. If he has a shoulder issue.. Why wasn't it corrected in the pre season if it was the case.

Don't want to be rude ... but you actually need to read the comments. You're wrong, and a number of people have taken the time to explain why.

I have no reservations on Weitering what so ever and that is the truth. Elite players have form slumps. I am certainly not worried about a 20 year old kid in his 3rd year having a form slump. And to be honest personally i do not think we have made it easy for Weiters either. Throwing him forward and back. Who goes out and picks the best defender in the draft then plays him forward instead of letting him settle with his craft first. Then we play him over and over under obvious injury clouds. Personal opinion is to give him time let the team settle and see what happens.
can you please stop referring to a 20 year old grown man as a kid?

Don't want to be rude ... but you actually need to read the comments. You're wrong, and a number of people have taken the time to explain why.
Im not concerned if i have missed something. Ie. To be corrected

I have made assumptions as have others to produce my opinion.

I dont subscribe to the thought that players are untouchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank would be better carrot
Yes I really like him
But I get a hunch he is injury prone

I don't see anyone questioning Harris Andrews.
People can say that being a number 1 is the same as being a rookie selection once you get to your club, but we know that not to be true.

Weitering will settle and be a very good player, but for anyone to be surprised for him to be put under the spotlight for his relative ordinary performances, hasn't watched sports long enough. Don't think there would be anyone here who can put hand on heart and say they have no reservations on Weitering.
I certainly can.

I said, in the leadup to his second season, to find an end and to stick with it! Pick either backline or forward line, and bloody leave him there! Coaches went another direction, and due to injury had to shuffle him back, and all of a sudden his ability to position himself to get rid of his man, to get between blokes and the ball, and altogether play smarter than a key forward seems confused? I can certainly understand why they shifted him forward, but they failed to double down on leaving him there, instead confusing his development for the sake of what, a four goal haul against Richmond?

I maintain that, had they left him down forward, he could be a generational talent - and I mean that by the standards applied above - kicking goals himself whilst giving lace out passes to the other players in the forward line, a superior version of Taylor Walker/Roughead, playing true CHF.

I can understand all sides of the coin - shifting him forwards, then switching him back again - but that doesn't mean that the reasoning is good. He should have been left either in the back half of the ground or the front half, and enabled to learn his role first, rather than needing a Westhoffian understanding of playing at either end and becoming a utility without the strength/aerobic fitness to do it yet.

If they leave him down back, he'll improve slowly and steadily as the players around him become more used to each other, and as the midfield begins to choke opposition supply to their forward line. Brian Lake wasn't a brilliant player instantly, it took him being consistently good for a while - before then blanketing Franklin - for people to sit up and notice him. But make no mistake, it's fairly easy to have zero reservations about Weitering when you can cleanly observe the reasons why he's failed at times, and can see a clear trajectory for him that makes sense given I can't tell the future.

Simplistic? Right...
You say that you are happy for Cripps to leave if he so wishes.
You also say that you don't want the club to facilitate any kind of trade for Shiel.
So, you don't want Shiel and you don't mind if Cripps leaves but you don't want anyone in between?
Yet I pin too much hope on Cripps? FFS.
So tell me, who takes Cripps role if he goes?
It's one thing to wish him well for seeking another club but what's your replacement plan?

I certainly can.

I said, in the leadup to his second season, to find an end and to stick with it! Pick either backline or forward line, and bloody leave him there! Coaches went another direction, and due to injury had to shuffle him back, and all of a sudden his ability to position himself to get rid of his man, to get between blokes and the ball, and altogether play smarter than a key forward seems confused? I can certainly understand why they shifted him forward, but they failed to double down on leaving him there, instead confusing his development for the sake of what, a four goal haul against Richmond?

I maintain that, had they left him down forward, he could be a generational talent - and I mean that by the standards applied above - kicking goals himself whilst giving lace out passes to the other players in the forward line, a superior version of Taylor Walker/Roughead, playing true CHF.

I can understand all sides of the coin - shifting him forwards, then switching him back again - but that doesn't mean that the reasoning is good. He should have been left either in the back half of the ground or the front half, and enabled to learn his role first, rather than needing a Westhoffian understanding of playing at either end and becoming a utility without the strength/aerobic fitness to do it yet.

If they leave him down back, he'll improve slowly and steadily as the players around him become more used to each other, and as the midfield begins to choke opposition supply to their forward line. Brian Lake wasn't a brilliant player instantly, it took him being consistently good for a while - before then blanketing Franklin - for people to sit up and notice him. But make no mistake, it's fairly easy to have zero reservations about Weitering when you can cleanly observe the reasons why he's failed at times, and can see a clear trajectory for him that makes sense given I can't tell the future.
Couldn’t agree with Harker’s comment more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back