Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Minimal relevance to my post, or the post I responded to

Hahaha yeah ok...

"Lions had 7 players from other clubs" - I listed us having 16

"Nor does investing all our currency at the draft" - Pointed out that we haven't invested in the draft in years

The post you responded to clearly stated that we should hit the draft hard this year... a sentiment I agree with.

Can’t see Austin paying the “all in” price that North will offer and Port will demand for the contracted dual AA Houston.
Reckon Liddle had a gun in Austin’s back re Williams contract and he won’t be wanting to overpay again, regardless of pressure from Voss.
Port will understandably tell Houston, you can return to Melbourne, but we will require “overs” … and that’s North.
So for Dan it’s a choice :
North and a bigger contract,
Or
Port and finals.
All that said, I can see Austin going “all in” on the right player/s … but they’d have to certainly be THE right player/s !!
Interesting few weeks ahead …

Hahaha yeah ok...

"Lions had 7 players from other clubs" - I listed us having 16

"Nor does investing all our currency at the draft" - Pointed out that we haven't invested in the draft in years

The post you responded to clearly stated that we should hit the draft hard this year... a sentiment I agree with.

I think you missed the point of both posts

Lions haven't invested all their currency in the draft, certainly not in the last 2-3 years

Similar to the Pies a year before they won a flag

For where we are as a club, I'm not an advocate for spending all our currency in the draft or completely in trades, I think a balanced approach is worthwhile, like the Lions and many other clubs in a similar position to us

I don't even care if we don't get a hold of Houston

Last edited:
Well said Juddy. We were discussing this last night. Lohman Morris Ah Chee, Zorko to defence only happened because of injury

Would have Fagan made this changes otherwise? I don’t know but I doubt it. Coaches these days are so fixated on processes and structures and have tunnel vision.

Reminds me so much of our last 2 games this year. Lord Binns Moir, Hollands to HB, Kemp forward etc made us look better

I hope our coaches open our thinking to this next year. I’m excited by these young players along with O’Keefe & Wilson

Houston would be great, and I will be happy to get him, but never underestimate what continued youth and regeneration brings to a side
No doubt HP and our taxing game style had a big impact this season but we cant underestimate the issue of our coaches unwillingness to give younger players more opportunities through the season...and not just when they are forced due to injuries to the 'name' players.

I think quiet a few would be joyed by the promise shown by lord, moir binns late in the season.

Certainly worth looking at if he costs us FA to replace Owies. Although, i'd prefer Moir get the opportunity to step in.

Would Parker be prepared to play VFL as back up if Williams, Durdin or Motlop get injured (appears to be good chance of)?
Not when he can get 3yrs on good coin at North and walk up start best 22. Would be a no brainer for him v back up playing 2s for us.

Sometimes you look for the smallest things, real or perceived

Anybody who watched the Front Bar last week with MV would've seen the skit where they referenced so many players coming back for the last game and their fitness

It was quite funny and poked fun at Voss bringing in a bunch of unfit, injured or underdone players

MV looked a tad annoyed or embarrassed by the skit and jokingly reminded them that he was there to give his thoughts on the game

Comedy has always been about the exaggeration of reality and I have no doubt MV knows that he made a huge mistake in not trusting some of his younger players on that fateful night

Lions will be the shortest odds for the flag that we’ve seen in a long time, heading into next year.

We’re really going to have to nail improvement in multiple positions or we won’t catch the Lions while in our window.

Lions will be the shortest odds for the flag that we’ve seen in a long time, heading into next year.

We’re really going to have to nail improvement in multiple positions or we won’t catch the Lions while in our window.

If Joe retires, how far can Hipwood take them.
There will be no trade return on Joe retiring, they will have to replace him out of their own pocket …

They finished 5th after the H&A season. Neale and Cameron a year older. Daniher might retire. They had a good injury run again.

Dont get me wong. They were unreal yesterday. But we have seen much more dominant premiership sides. They probably start favourites but reckon they are gettable.

The 2 ashcrofts are a wildcard. Unbelievably big advantage to get both for chips while near the top of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They finished 5th after the H&A season. Neale and Cameron a year older. Daniher might retire. They had a good injury run again.

Dont get me wong. They were unreal yesterday. But we have seen much more dominant premiership sides. They probably start favourites but reckon they are gettable.

The 2 ashcrofts are a wildcard. Unbelievably big advantage to get both for chips while near the top of the ladder.
they also bring in levi, doedee and coleman both back from ACLs

I saw many lions fans saying their window was closed at the bye this year. Shows how quickly it changes, and how momentum can see just about any team win at any moment. Brisbane are proof the window is never truly closed, just need to stick the course

I saw many lions fans saying their window was closed at the bye this year. Shows how quickly it changes, and how momentum can see just about any team win at any moment. Brisbane are proof the window is never truly closed, just need to stick the course

The window never really closes but I’m talking the Cripps, Charlie, H etc window.

They are incredibly lucky to have Will and Levi, but that’s the reality. They’re adding more quality than us and they already have more quality than us. They final ingredient they needed was belief, which they’ve definitely got now.

Not saying it won’t happen, but we’re going to have to get a lot right.

If the Suns do that the AFL should take that club behind the barn and shoot it.

Surely the Noble deal is some sort of a pick upgrade for pick 12, but you never know as Gold Coast already have the two worst trades in history:
- They gave up pick 2 (ended up being Andy Brayshaw) for Lachie ****ing Weller!!!
- They gave up Bowes and pick 7 (Jye Clark) for a future third

If we talk windows, I see the first window being Cripps, gov, saad, doc ect.

Then if we recruit well over the next couple of years, the window stays open with Walsh, cerra, tdk, harry, Charlie, weiters ect

So imo we have plenty of opportunity, but we’ve gotta keep nailing the drafts /trade periods to maximise

Sometimes you look for the smallest things, real or perceived

Anybody who watched the Front Bar last week with MV would've seen the skit where they referenced so many players coming back for the last game and their fitness

It was quite funny and poked fun at Voss bringing in a bunch of unfit, injured or underdone players

MV looked a tad annoyed or embarrassed by the skit and jokingly reminded them that he was there to give his thoughts on the game

Comedy has always been about the exaggeration of reality and I have no doubt MV knows that he made a huge mistake in not trusting some of his younger players on that fateful night
Yeah I saw that. Exactly my thoughts 😂😂

Surely the Noble deal is some sort of a pick upgrade for pick 12, but you never know as Gold Coast already have the two worst trades in history:
- They gave up pick 2 (ended up being Andy Brayshaw) for Lachie ****ing Weller!!!
- They gave up Bowes and pick 7 (Jye Clark) for a future third
Oh yes they have a history of these terrible deals. On top of the ones you mentioned above:
  • In 2018, they gave up #19, a future second round pick and a future third round pick for a future first round pick from the Lions.
  • In 2019, they gave up a future 1st round pick and #64 for pick 27 from Geelong.
  • In 2020, they gave up #27 for a future 3rd round pick (tied to Melbourne) from Geelong (again!).

Just bizarre stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back