Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing unprofessional about it at all. We can chase a player however if their team has unrealistic demands, we move on.

Its a cut throat business.. everyones gotta stop being nice

NBA yesterday, a top player got traded without even being notified.

The team is bigger than the player *and their partner and partners family

*Edited for accuracy...

This comes up a lot when players are discussed in trades inside club land...

As a CEO once said to me, 'this is your job, if you don't like it that's fine, I will write you a fantastic reference'...

Dammit. Sorry Aph. Am blind AF today.

Membrey looked completely cooked at times this year. Great player at his best but not sure he has it in him to impact the way we'd hope.

Bit of a curve ball re: Houston

We have been discussing bringing in an established player that we will take over their sizable contract. As such the pick won't be much. Very handy player we need and why we are moving players on

This deal may limit our options with Houston? This is MY assumption

I know the name but have been told not to post it. Sorry. I will when I can

*Mods. I can confirm source if needed
First name that came to mind was Clarry… strong rumours of mutual interest 2-3 years ago. Huge contract, maybe part of Petraccas terms of staying on + the pay part of his salary?

But doesn’t necessarily fit a need… small forward or CHB on long term good money? 🤷🏻

Not sure how Houston or Membrey solve either of these issues. Unless Membrey means Harry is on his way to Melbourne.

A Membrey-type would be to assist Harry and Charlie. Draw a defender in a way none of our other forwards do.

Would enable McKay to be that KPF who spends time in the ruck without leaving Charlie one on three.

It would also likely be as a replacement to Owies.

There's merit in the headhunting.

If Houston wants 1M saints can have him

Dammit. Sorry Aph. Am blind AF today.

Membrey looked completely cooked at times this year. Great player at his best but not sure he has it in him to impact the way we'd hope.

Having played 10 years at St Kilda you couldn't blame him.

Only 30yo and outside of a rough 2023 for him he looks particularly durable.

Not opposed to this at all. Solid 30+ goal a year player who requires more defensive work by opposition than an Owies does.

I wonder if the thinking is to get Charlie to play more higher up and have someone other than Harry that we can trust to mark it deeper in the forward line.

So what are we missing (imho)?

A lock down defender - so Weitering can actually play football and not have to play like Mick Martyn.
Goal kicking mids.

Not sure how Houston or Membrey solve either of these issues. Unless Membrey means Harry is on his way to Melbourne.

If Membrey comes across I think that absolutely means JSOS will be a defender next year and I’m not upset about that, I think he should be whether Membrey happens or not

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Third mobile marking option is needed. Many sides do it in the form of smaller players who are good overhead than having a "3rd tall" so to speak. Our big issues are that our small forwards and forward flanks are weak overhead. Our strength is that McKay and Curnow are fairly mobile and quick. So will Membry work?

The other side is that he is 30 and not a world beating or form player by any stretch. We just had Kemp playing forward doing well and Silvagni becoming available again so do we need him?

I am thinking that he will be very cheap and may not necessarily be coming as a best 22 player.

The other side of the coin would be the potential positional change of Curnow or McKay. Is it possible Curnow goes into the middle next season and McKay to defence if we don't find the defender we are looking for and we look to go more mobile up forward? I am leaning towards no but nothing can be written off.

So what are we missing (imho)?

A lock down defender - so Weitering can actually play football and not have to play like Mick Martyn.
Goal kicking mids.

Don't be so stupid we are not like Geelong Sydney Collingwood and recruit players for needs. I honestly would rather bring in some decent mature statewide players
Some of the most improved players in the comp
Come from statewide football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Membrey comes across I think that absolutely means JSOS will be a defender next year and I’m not upset about that, I think he should be whether Membrey happens or not

where does Membrey coming leave Kemp as a forward? Not sure Kemp is headed down back, again

where does Membrey coming leave Kemp as a forward? Not sure Kemp is headed down back, again

Weiters/Gov/Kemp are my preferred backline as long as there’s more pressure from upfield, JSOS is next man up but he needs to be trained then played as a backman in the twos first.

Needs to be given the best chance possible to succeed

Good we are seemingly not overpaying.

Like the thinking of packaging future first and Owies for Suns pick 12 this draft (for Houston) … and happy to do this and keep the pick 12 if we miss on Houston.

Port don’t have a first round pick in this draft and have to find currency for Lukosius (GC), Richards (Pies) and others.

Lol - Membrey, we need a fast, high quality small forward, let’s grab a broken down, no pressure 3rd tall 😂

This would be the perfect sequel to Fantasia.

I hope we are not this stupid - caveat that if we are recruiting him to head up our VFL forward line & he only plays if everyone else can’t, then I’m ok with it.
Would rather a list spot goes to a kid & potential - not on “insurance”.

Houston wants a mill a year. And Saints are prepared to pay it. So the question is whether we are also willing to pay it.

Unless his contract is hugely back ended, he wasn’t even in the top 100 paid players this year.

There are much better options that fill a need out there at that price… Unless Houston is going to play a good amount of midfield minutes, I’d move on from him.. Great player but we have more pressing needs…

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back