Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

He grew up as a Carlton supporter, his family are still Carlton supporters, very close with Voss and the Silvgani’s.

I think those ties are strong until we pull the plug and advise that we can’t facilitate a trade.
Plus, if he does want Carlton, it would be in his interests to hold that line as long as possible.

As much as it's nice to do the right thing by the club you're leaving, letting them dictate where you go won't make a trade much easier. Just gives Port more leverage to drag it out to maximise their return by playing parties off against each other.

In the end they'd happily screw him to do what's best for them, so he needs to put his interests first to ensure a balanced outcome.

Port need a pick in this years first round so they don’t “max out” and can thereby trade an F1 for Lukosious.

Makes you wonder why we don't just step in to help facilitate that trade.

Our future first to GC, Luko to Port, Houston to Carlton, balance with later picks as needed.

Collingwood and GC can then haggle over Noble.

We were really good at scoring, its something we improved a lot from our 2023 season, the big problem is we went from the 5th best defence (maybe 4th) in 2023 to the 12th in 2024.

WE were the 18th ranked team from conceding goals from D50 stoppages, 10 goals worse than 17th, we were down the bottom all year.

It’s hard to rationalise how we were so bad for so long and we failed to address it mid season.

The footy shows on a few occasions showed Saad to be one of our worse culprits in this area which was a big surprise.

The positive out of this is, if we could defend as a group in 2023 and failed in 24 with the same group, we can get back to that in 25, its purely a coaching issue imo.

Saad was an interesting one this year and I agree with you.

His opponent would often move up to the contest and that's when he got lost plus most of his attacking flair disappeared which was obviously what oppo coaches wanted to see.

For me this is where the likes of Boyd didn't do enough on the counter (he never really took the game on with any run and carry it was more clearing kicks so had zero hurt factor with his elite kicking), and it became a case of shut down Saad and Carlton can't move the ball well out of the backline hence the attraction of Houston. Doc has been missed in this regard even though he had a good season last year in the middle and we also lost William's run and carry and elite foot skills.

Our entire backline seemed to be completely preoccupied with defence only and it showed with slow down the line ball movement all year resulting in the inevitable dump kick into the F50 with 30 guys waiting.

Have no clue on what Wilson is like as I've never seen him play but we need counter attack run and carry players with balls who will take the game on.

The mix in the backline needs a good hard look.

We're not desperate for anything.
We certainly should be desperate for a premiership and leaving no stone unturned to achieve this in the short term.
5. Quality players - Houston is that.

We are challenging NOW - Houston would improve our output NOW.

A #12 draftee may or may not make it - and we'll only likely know in 2026 or later....

You’re preaching to the converted here, its what i wish we were doing and I’m annoyed we are not. If not Houston then someone else.

I disagree with your point we aren’t desperate for anything in regards to players, a player like Barass would be fantastic for us and a quality small forward would be fantastic, they are areas of need but one could argue we aren’t desperate for cover.

Saad was an interesting one this year and I agree with you.

His opponent would often move up to the contest and that's when he got lost plus most of his attacking flair disappeared which was obviously what oppo coaches wanted to see.

For me this is where the likes of Boyd didn't do enough on the counter (he never really took the game on with any run and carry it was more clearing kicks so had zero hurt factor with his elite kicking), and it became a case of shut down Saad and Carlton can't move the ball well out of the backline hence the attraction of Houston. Doc has been missed in this regard even though he had a good season last year in the middle and we also lost William's run and carry and elite foot skills.

Our entire backline seemed to be completely preoccupied with defence only and it showed with slow down the line ball movement all year resulting in the inevitable dump kick into the F50 with 30 guys waiting.

Have no clue on what Wilson is like as I've never seen him play but we need counter attack run and carry players with balls who will take the game on.

The mix in the backline needs a good hard look.
Boyd is a very frustrating player. I hate watching him run by a teammate on the mark and not ask for the handball receive.

One of the best kicks in the competition at his best but seems totally unaware that getting the ball in his own hands is a net positive for the team.

Gives up taking kickouts too... Just baffling stuff. I'd like the coaches to get it in his hands as much as they can to see how he goes with that responsibility.

What's he done?
Atm Sts popped up in relation to Phillips this year, looks to be in TDK's ear ahead of contract year (makes sense guven Loss of Battle and love of running two rucks I guess). Remember the same feeling last year too but forgetting who, maybe others can remember some specifics?

Might also just be being paranoid with SOS and Ross's combined love of ruining other ppls parties...

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not the end of the world if we don't get Houston.

I just find it so irritating that the narrative is the Suns need to deal with Collingwood for 13, because of the Noble situation.

Why, when they have so many other appropriate picks that could be involved in the trade? If Motlop wants a trade to Fremantle, do it have to involve Fremantle's pick 10 just because they have it.

Any other club would try to separate these deals for fringe players, so as to not diluate the compensation they get for their top picks. Hopefully the Suns take note, but I don't have much faith.

I don't want to trash your optimism, but I think it's misguided if you can't point to how it gets done.
To me it's clear that we're trying to find a way to hit the draft and get Houston in. More pick trading options will present themselves - Richmond's picks seem gettable for example. Lots to play out I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not in the go all in on Houston camp but surely if he just nominated the Blues the Pies back down and we can get a deal sorted out with what's available to us. Maybe the Pies don't go so hard for the Suns pick?
Agreed. If he only wants to play for us, he should nominate us. It’s in his interest for us to get a good deal on him.

Houston could always tell Port to deal exclusively with us...or he'll just sit out next .

Why would he sit out? If Dan doesn’t get traded, he’ll play 23 games next year baring any injury.

Lions had 5 recent draftees playing in the grand final. Morris (2023), Fletcher and Ashcroft (2022), Lohmann and Wilmot (2021). All played crucial roles. 4 of them top 20 picks.

Yes, there's risk associated with the draft but there's also potential for outsized returns.
Brisbane didn't sell the farm, they've hit the draft consistently over a decade. They didn't panic when they first made finals in 2019. They continued bringing in top end talent, that's seen them at the pointy end for 6 years, with no signs of slowing down.

Some names:
Rayner (pick 1)
Ashcroft (2)
Mccluggage (3)
Fletcher (12)
Hipwood (14)
Bailey (15)
Wilmot (16)
Berry (17)
Starcevich (18)
Lohmann (20)
Gardiner (22)
Lester (28)
Morris (31)
Coleman (37)

They did trade in key players (Daniher, Neale, Dunkley, Ah Chee, Doedee) but the core of their list was home grown.

Compare that to Carlton:
Weitering (1)
Walsh (1)
McKay (10)
Hollands (11)
Curnow (12)
Cripps (13)
Kemp (17)
Motlop (27)
Moir (29)
TDK (30)
Cowan (30)

We've had a few misses along the journey, but most would argue that list contains our 6 best players (Weitering, Walsh, Curnow, Cripps, McKay, TDK). All 11 could be best 22 next season.

It requires a balanced approach but a short window is a fallacy. Good clubs continuously bring in talent and compete year after year. Rather us follow the Geelong / Brisbane / Sydney model than the Richmond model.
Im not exactly sure if you’re disagreeing or not but i agree with lots here, my post is in reference to first year draftees as having a massive influence, only one player from Brisbane was a first year draftee and one of the 2nd year draftees was a pick 2.

I agree with a balanced approach, what we are reported to be doing isn’t really a balanced approach imo and isn’t in line with what Geelong, Brisbane or Sydney have been doing lately.

He grew up as a Carlton supporter, his family are still Carlton supporters, very close with Voss and the Silvgani’s.

I think those ties are strong until we pull the plug and advise that we can’t facilitate a trade.
100%.

These things don't just start - and end - during the trade week!

Played as a mid until u16, then spent his last couple of junior/SANFL years as a small forward.

Was (is) never going to make it as an AFL mid.

At most maybe a high HF, a few cameos at clearances. But not as a full-time mid.

Has good pace and is a very good field kick, shame he's so short, imagine if he was E Hollands size with those skills. Only really fits as a small forward.

Boyd is a very frustrating player. I hate watching him run by a teammate on the mark and not ask for the handball receive.

One of the best kicks in the competition at his best but seems totally unaware that getting the ball in his own hands is a net positive for the team.

Gives up taking kickouts too... Just baffling stuff. I'd like the coaches to get it in his hands as much as they can to see how he goes with that responsibility.

100%, neither he or the coaches are getting the best use out of him.

Having said that not all players have that ability to know when to go for it but yes give him licence in the pre-season and lets see what happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back