Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

my thoughts are picks only land at the end of rounds, and when the contract value & length is considered it needs to be compared against other free agents rather than the rest of the playing pool as it's clearly a different (heavily inflated) market. Eliminates the first round being compromised by compensation picks, but also pushes quite a few of the current band 1 & band 2 picks back as they're being compared to FA contracts rather than trade and extension contracts.

If a cellar dweller gets ravaged then the afl would step in for some form of additional assistance anyway, like they have with North and GCS.
I was of this view, but it just penalises the bottom clubs more.
If you change Band 1 to 2nd round rather than end of 1st, then the wooden spooner ends up with the same compo, but they don't get screwed by a top 4 club getting compo.

If they can't get rid of compo completely, just get rid of the first 2 Bands, so that Band 1 becomes after your 2nd round pick. Gives a bonus to a poor team as opposed to a top team, but much lower stakes.
1st round is uncompromised, and the bottom teams don't get screwed on their early 2nds.
Would rather do away with bands, and have each free agent assessed to a particular points value, with the compo pick then slotting in at whatever points value it lands. Secondly, a "tribunal" or whatever to assess merits of any compo pick in top 20.

That's assuming we can't do away with the thing altogether, which is my first preference. Or make the purchasing club pay with points, which is second preference.

Interesting with Kennedy as he is obviously good enough in the midfield - we just don't need his type there. I'd love to keep him for his versatility especially up forward but if we can get a 2nd round pick for him in the 24' or 25' draft I think I would be happy with that. I'd hope the club holds on to him if it's not at least that.

Would rather do away with bands, and have each free agent assessed to a particular points value, with the compo pick then slotting in at whatever points value it lands. Secondly, a "tribunal" or whatever to assess merits of any compo pick in top 20.

That's assuming we can't do away with the thing altogether, which is my first preference. Or make the purchasing club pay with points, which is second preference.

It's all open to manipulation, so I think it's better to lower the stakes, have Band 1 as a 2nd rounder.
Still decent compo, favouring the bottom teams, without screwing all other clubs nearly as much.

houston will most likely go a victorian club that is in contention and offers the better contract....being close to vossy or silvagnis and what picks are given to port are prolly all secondary

given our cap squeeze filth will prolly offer a better contract and prolly get closer to satisfying ports pick requests

Wouldn't pies also have a cap squeeze?

If it was me, I wouldn't offer more than

Pick 13 - F1+F2

Houston - Pick 13 + mid-late 2nd rounder, with a 3rd rounder back

So effectively, F1 + F2 + 34 for Houston + 57?

Where do we get another F2 from?

It's too much for us to pay for him and Port will be very reluctant on that anyway... very hard to see them settling on 13 + 34...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all open to manipulation, so I think it's better to lower the stakes, have Band 1 as a 2nd rounder.
Still decent compo, favouring the bottom teams, without screwing all other clubs nearly as much.
And bottom teams will have the Salary Cap space to match and get more than a 2nd rounder. It does limit movement. Would Bombers give up a 1st for Ben McKay.?

At very least the compensation needs to reflect the new salary Cap. Band 1 needs to be over $1M for at least 5 years. Players like Zac Merrett are looking at the deals Perryman and Battle have signed and thinking WTF.

Where would Perryman be on the pies pay scale and who is he behind? ND, DM,JDG,JD. I guess the rest of their players are aging out their best paydays.

If Giants want to move up this year, and we're looking for multiple 1st round picks could try:

GWS:
13 + F1 -> 15 + 16 + 55

*:
34 -> *F2

GC:
F2 -> 29

Head to the draft with:

15 + 16 + 29

Use 55 + 65 + 68 + 71 (385 pts ~#42/43 in value) for B.Campo bid (we may need to go into deficit a bit here)

We keep *'s F2 for next year.

houston will most likely go a victorian club that is in contention and offers the better contract....being close to vossy or silvagnis and what picks are given to port are prolly all secondary

given our cap squeeze filth will prolly offer a better contract and prolly get closer to satisfying ports pick requests

What is prolly, and does prolly prolly want a cracker?

I could live with Kennedy going to Richmond. Think he'd be happy there and would do well for them as a first choice mid.

Could use him in a larger deal for one of their higher picks. Which we could then use in a Houston deal.
It would be a bad move for him. Tigers will have 3 mids from the first round of the draft (plus 2 talls from the first round) plus they already have 2 big slow mids

And bottom teams will have the Salary Cap space to match and get more than a 2nd rounder. It does limit movement. Would Bombers give up a 1st for Ben McKay.?
The system is broken when North is incentivised to lose McKay.
Without the #3 as compo, they would have tried to keep him, and he would have been happy to stay.

The way to help player movement would be to get rid of Restricted Free Agency, everyone becomes Unrestricted after 8 years service.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back