Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

We practically gave away Dow, Setterfield, SPS and Fisher.

We got nothing for Jarrod Waite who led the Kanga's goal-kicking and played another four seasons. It's just a joke.
Lions got 147 games and a bnf out of Robinson. We got nothing.

Dees got 78 games and a leading goalkicker award out of Garlett. We got nothing.

Crows got 132 games, 310 goals, 3 AAs and years of highlights out of Eddie Betts. We got half a dozen handy games out of Thomas.

Richmond got Shai Bolton with the compensation they got for Vickery. Vickery played 6 games at Hawks.

We are deplorable at this...

Last edited:

Dees got 78 games and a leading goalkicker award out of Garlett. We got nothing.

Crows got 132 games, 310 goals, 3 AAs and years of highlights out of Eddie Betts. We got half a dozen handy games out of Thomas.

All have Malthouse in common.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

All have Malthouse in common.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
And three coaches ago....

Jeff and Mitch lied to the club

Move on folks it's a new dawn, different team/management/leadership/playing list.

I could bang on about the '80s...

On Williams. He was always a gun HB so even if he failed as a mid we thought we would still get that out of him. We went on to spend pick 8 on another gun HB in Saad a few years later so I think the theory of overpaying salary wise to bring him in was still a fair enough call because that role was a need too. It just didn’t work.

The Martin thing is pretty simple.

Were we ever going to offer him a contract?

The answer is no.

Anything else aside from delisting him and exploring his options, is game playing. And if you want to stuff players around, just in the odd chance we get a late pick, then I am sorry but that is ridiculous. You would end up doing more damage to our reputation than would be worth any token pick.

Giving Jack Martin a new contract when he played 50-something games in 5 years and he was rubbish in about 40 of them would be the dumbest signing of the offseason. Let’s be honest with ourselves, he wasn’t a good player for us.

Richmond got Shai Bolton with the compensation they got for Vickery. Vickery played 6 games at Hawks.

And we had John Platten signed on a form 4.

But this and your examples have absolutely nothing to do with anyone with an involvement in the club these days.

We also got Harry McKay with the collateral from Lachie Henderson

We got Charlie Curnow in part from the collateral we got from Tom Bell.

We got Elijah Hollands with the collateral we got from Zac Fisher .

You win some, you lose some. You've just got to try and make sure you win more than lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving Jack Martin a new contract when he played 50-something games in 5 years and he was rubbish in about 40 of them would be the dumbest signing of the offseason. Let’s be honest with ourselves, he wasn’t a good player for us.
He was far from rubbish in most of his games..

That's BS.

And we had John Platten signed on a form 4.

But this and your examples have absolutely nothing to do with anyone with an involvement in the club these days.

We also got Harry McKay with the collateral from Lachie Henderson

We got Charlie Curnow in part from the collateral we got from Tom Bell.

We got Elijah Hollands with the collateral we got from Zac Fisher .

You win some, you lose some. You've just got to try and make sure you win more than lose.
But you have highlighted perhaps our one year in living memory of great draft strategy.

My post relates to poor list management...and I could keep going.

Owies has also met with GC and WC.

I can’t believe we’re happy to offload him but keep the likes of Durdin. Makes no sense.
Yep, Owies had a good season. Punting him after a 2 quarter glimpse of Moir is nonsensical. Reminds a little of the desperation on here to boot Casboult. Too much focus on what they don't bring, not enough on what they do bring.

But you have highlighted perhaps our one year in living memory of great draft strategy.

My post relates to poor list management...and I could keep going.
Your post related to players playing in the Malthouse era. Not much relevance to now.

Not sure that my post referred to one year only (Hollands was a different year than Curnow, Mckay).

Once again list management is about the sum of the parts, not each individual cog. Our list was in good enough shape to be considered a genuine premiership chance about 8 weeks ago. List management is not the reason that our season spluttered to a halt this season.

Yep, Owies had a good season. Punting him after a 2 quarter glimpse of Moir is nonsensical. Reminds a little of the desperation on here to boot Casboult. Too much focus on what they don't bring, not enough on what they do bring.

I’m only guessing but Owies is a good mark kick goal player which there is nothing wrong with that BUT if you look at all the high quality small forwards they all have tricks and what I mean by that is they are dangerous,creative and have speed.

Papley/Stengle/Cameron/Rioli/Weightman/Watson etc

We have (at this stage) Zac/Durdin/Motlop not sure you could class Moir in that bracket.

I’m not sure who they are looking to bring in but we’re desperate for one of them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your post related to players playing in the Malthouse era. Not much relevance to now.

Not sure that my post referred to one year only (Hollands was a different year than Curnow, Mckay).

Once again list management is about the sum of the parts, not each individual cog. Our list was in good enough shape to be considered a genuine premiership chance about 8 weeks ago. List management is not the reason that our season spluttered to a halt this season.
Hollands over Fisher is marginal at this early stage so I discounted it.

And three weeks ago we were an easy kill in a final we fell arse backwards into. We can all frame things to suit an argument.

My original post was about our historical pattern of donating quality AFL players for zero return. You may be reading too much into it.

Owies is at the peak of his value. He is not going to play better football, maybe a similar year, but not a 40-50 goal year.

Durdin, Motlop etc. are basically bottom of their value.

People like the idea of selling high and buying low until there are names attached

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cherry picking, we used the pick we got off Geelong for Lachie Henderson on Charlie Curnow, dual (so far) Coleman Medallist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back