Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The coach was good enough to get us to a PF in 2023 and have us sitting 2nd for the vast majority if 2024 despite coaching with one arm behind his back for much of that time given player personnel issues. Voss isn't perfect and he and the coaching staff need to keep improving as well but senior players losing faith in him after the last two years is bizarre imo.
Yeah thats fair but we've also got to keep in mind the team is stacked with top end talent and mature and ready...good coaching is the cream on top for this team.

Lets face it, our run of good form all the way into the finals in 2023 was largely based on players uniting and making a commitment to each other (Camp at the curnows). And they played brutal contested footy.

Unfortunately that sort of motivation alone without a sustainable game plan only takes you so far. Weve been hampered with injuries for as long as I can remember with this rebuild.

Crashing down with injuries since the gws game broke the camels back.

All fair points but have to disagree on SDK only worth 1 x first rounder.
2019: First Round Pick.
2022: Premiership Player, Awarded Geelong's Best Young Player
2023: Named Full Back in the Best Under 22 AFL Team.

204cm 23yo and about to hit his peak like his brother has in the last couple of years.

Easily worth TWO first round picks IMO
I would have been comfortable with the club paying two first rounders for Mac Andrew and SDK isn't far behind. A first and future second seems fair. We need a KPD more than any other role in my view. Seems strange our link to Leek Alir has weakened...

Sadly, as I discussed with several people on here meetings we had with senior players last Monday after Lions loss didn't really solve anything. Interesting the names mentioned as possible trades are the ones I mentioned as not being happy and there are more players involved.

There is probably more concerns and rumours coming from the club than I have heard in 3 years.

There is a lot of frustration amongst the playing group. Especially senior players. This has been bubbling along for a few months and IMO this has been shown in results.

It seems internally the coaches and LM are blaming the players? This is where the issues seem to lie.

The club is at a real cross roads in regards to it's football department. These things need to be fixed and addressed. Voss won't be sacked (I don't think) but he needs to take things on board or he will really lose the group. If he can I can see us being Top 4 and if he doesn't we could fall dramatically.

Game plan, style and expectations seems to be the major issue but there are issues with List balance, contracts and who we are possibly targeting.

As I have said for months we are speaking with anyone and everyone and there will be a minimum 8-10 changes. Houston wasn't a target of Austin but Voss is pushing for him. What will happen I have no idea.

This is where Cook needs to step up and I have concerns about Lloyd. IMO, A strong Head of Football wouldn't have let these issues fester

Fingers crossed we can sort this and soon. I never would have believed this 6 months ago. Next 4-6 weeks will determine a lot of our future. I believe it's this serious
Not great reading but, I'm not surprised our form was way off it's clear something's wrong.
It does not look good to get rid of another coach but, sometimes you have to do good for the benefit of the club regardless of outside noise.
Then on the other hand these senior players always seem to have trouble with coaches, they get a sugar hit then it all goes sour.
It's hard to point a finger because both parties have a rich history.
Seen it in places I have worked sometimes your better off getting rid of both it sets you back a little but, it does rid you of the problem...and in the long run you are far better off.

Agreed - it would also be a huge concern to me from the playing group perspective, if after making finals in consecutive years for the first time in a decade, and just missing out on a GF, that the collective group would lose faith in Voss as some have alluded too.

Individual fringe players, sure. But not the band of senior players.
It could happen however in one terrible week, it has for me - the selections (esp Doc), TDK sub and Kennedy interchange still have me saying WTF. I am more interested in hearing about changes to our coaching panel and MC than players - to assure me that such a stuff up will never be repeated

Yeah thats fair but we've also got to keep in mind the team is stacked with top end talent and mature and ready...good coaching is the cream on top for this team.

Lets face it, our run of good form all the way into the finals in 2023 was largely based on players uniting and making a commitment to each other (Camp at the curnows). And they played brutal contested footy.

Unfortunately that sort of motivation alone without a sustainable game plan only takes you so far. Weve been hampered with injuries for as long as I can remember with this rebuild.

Crashing down with injuries since the gws game broke the camels back.
Yeh I agree but that togetherness as players seemed to be there for most of this year. Our pressure and intensity (especially in F50) got us wins in games. Then it just dropped away completely and we saw us end the season 2-7 - that is a player thing that needs to be brought more consistently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse was going senile.
Bolton was good but had his throat cut by SOS cutting the list too deep.
Teague was a mistake.
Voss is great, just needs a bit of tactical leadership around him.

If this is true and this is all Voss needs to be "great" why have we apparently not changed, even one, of our assistants?

Is he trying to keep the same faces between him and the gun?

If this is true and this is all Voss needs to be "great" why have we apparently not changed, even one, of our assistants?

Is he trying to keep the same faces between him and the gun?
2024:

Voss: It's Russel season
Russel: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Russel season
Russel: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Voss season
Russel: It's Russel season
Sayers: Boom - (Russel) you're fired.

2025:

Voss: It's Hanson season
Hanson: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Hanson season
Hanson: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Voss season
Hanson: It's Voss season, not falling for it.
Sayers: Can't be stuffed, I'm outta here anyway.

Just on the Kennedy stuff.

Our what - only midfielder outside of Cripps - who can take a mark. When your game plan is kick it to a contest constantly.

Beyond stupid. Far, far beyond stupid.
Lord & Hewett are still there. Ben Campo too played on ball.

Kennedy isn't a big loss. It's sad, he's a likeable guy and good clubman, but it's not like we're losing Chris Judd here.

Just on the Kennedy stuff.

Our what - only midfielder outside of Cripps - who can take a mark. When your game plan is kick it to a contest constantly.

Beyond stupid. Far, far beyond stupid.
Isnt the idea to get away from having a gamestyle that is kicking to contests? That gamestyle was forced upon us due to having no leg speed.

Honestly, I don’t know how much Bam Bam leaving will truly hurt us on field, but I think off field is the biggest potential issue for mine.

Can see he’s very well loved around the club, seems a genuinely good bloke too, for it to just end with that subbing off in the EF after everything he gave for us is a damn shame.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back