Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

This pearl clutching around the players "partying" too much. Seeing Walsh named in particular

Walsh his constantly referred to as one of the most professional preparers in the game by teammates, coaches & opposition players. If he likes to unwind on the beers now and then so be it. I'd suggest more blokes in the league do it than these righteous health warriors realise.

Fwiw is Cripps mentioned by team-mates and opposition as being a guy who absolutely loves a beer, yet he's perennially one of the best players in the league and potentially a 2x Brownlow medallist. Anyone remember seeing him the morning after he won the Brownlow? Should we question him too?

Neale similarly I've seen referred to often as well as Tom Mitchell, who happen to be good mates with Cripps, 4x Brownlows between them... maybe some of the of perfect health and fitness forummers should have a word with them about their filthy and career limiting habits after they get back from taking a set off of Federer.
Yeah and I would have thought we'd want some happy guys who can unwind and de-stress before they go again rather than being held to some insane unrealistic standard to almost everyone else. This aint North Korea lol.

We need Taylor Adams to have a chat with SDK.

Agree, however as much as I want Geelong to be knocked out this weekend, imagine the not playing him in the GF. :think:

It would suck for SDK after tasting GF success already. Would love SDK, but I just find it very unlikely to happen.

What universe would someone like SDK do leaving Cats for us.

• Has he had premiership success with them - tick
  • Are they a stable club - tick
  • Future finals opportunities - recent history - tick tick tick
  • Does the coach micro manage me outside of club training and duties - nope - tick
  • Will I become a better footballer playing here or there - recent history - tick
Our bias aside, more recent compelling reasons if you had to pick between the 2 clubs, Geelong wins. Unless $$$ is a huge factor, but the Cats have other means of compensation outside the cap ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to understand if you're taking the piss or you really are that miserable and out of touch. Sam walsh had a microdiscectomy in Dec 22, and as such will be managed for the rest of his career with his running loads.

If you think he is ever going to win time trials and the like, which he has NEVER won at the club mind you, then you are dimmer Than I thought. Being in the top group of runners at the club 3+ years ago was also a little different, as we had bugger all strong endurance runners outside of the curnows.

The club has focused on endurance runners since, with Cotts being the first. Sliding a little against strong endurance types after missing 2 preseasons isn't only understandable, it would be superhuman if he didn't.

Cotts is the ONLY player from your list that was on THE LIST that was there pre surgery. You need to take a rest. As for being entitled to season ending breaks. Prove to me they aren't doing at minimum baseline training over their break, and we can talk about professionalism.

In addition, point me to the literature that shows athletes should train all year round at high intensities to further their peak fitness levels. I'll give you a head start, you won't find any.

There isn't a professional sport in the world that trains year round at peak levels. There is well researched and documented articles and journal entries stating this.

You need to take a break, if athletes having some rest affects you that much.

Curious as to how you can confirm that? If you are close enough to their inner circle to verify, then why haven't you been able to spill any other quality runours in this thread? Leave the muck raking to people like Hutchy who made a career out of it.

I'm not sure what he or any other player has done other than having a night/s out. Is he hanging out with bikies? Is he assaulting people? Is he attending training sessions still under the influence?
Is he turning up to his first day back at work after the break, not in the condition he is meant to? As far as I'm aware it's a no to all those questions. Happy for you to point to instances to prove me wrong.

As for what it takes to reach greatness, I won't pretend to know what it takes because I haven't got there.

I will hazard an educated guess from some of the biographies of the greats though. ALL of the truly great ones I've read, they all partied just as hard as they trained and played.

One exception, Lance Armstrong, and I would much prefer a Michael Jordan type than a Lance Armstrong type.

/end_rant/

Just had to get that off my chest.
You couldnt just give them some... leeway?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's the spirit, get out there and abosultely annihilate those brain cells and livers. That should have them in tip top condition for day one of PS.
I tell you something for free, in my day, if I had the ability that some of these guys have in their pinky fingers, I would have left them all in my wake on the training track, in the gym and during the off season. AFL careers are limited, make hay will the sun shines.
Hello from the hunter valley 🍷

• Does the coach micro manage me outside of club training and duties - nope - tick
  • Will I become a better footballer playing here or there - recent history - tick
Our bias aside, more recent compelling reasons if you had to pick between the 2 clubs, Geelong wins. Unless $$$ is a huge factor, but the Cats have other means of compensation outside the cap ;)
OK. Too much logic, Don't spoil it for me... 🥺

I'm still trying to work out how a few beers when your season just ended and you haven't even started preseason yet is a problem.

These guys are human, not robots.

As a corporate weapon, once the office lights automatically switch off at 8pm on a Friday, I stay seated in the dark and wait until Monday 7:59am ready to begin work again. That’s the type of commitment the players should show.

I don't think he'll leave nor do I think the Cats would let him go. But I can think of two reasons why he may want to straight off the top of my head.

1) He'd actually get a game in the seniors.
2) He'd get to play with his brother.

Pretty big reasons actually.

As a corporate weapon, once the office lights automatically switch off at 8pm on a Friday, I stay seated in the dark and wait until Monday 7:59am ready to begin work again. That’s the type of commitment the players should show.
:mad: You mean to say you waste productive time for 60 seconds?

Some updates and some dispelling of dribble.

When asked why he didn’t we the time trial last year (or even complete in it) Walsh answered ‘I broke my back’ when pressed further on the subject he responded ‘it’s spinal’
Outside of that, it is an absolute ridiculous notion to question his, of all people’s professionalism. I’d much prefer him to spend 2 weeks in Bali living it up than have him train through the mandatory break period, especially considering he of all people is the one to train to hard. Considering he started his preseason around February this year, I’d give him until the 3rd of January off and he’ll still put in a sub 6 minute 2km.
Ridiculous.
Oh by the way, football players party, drink and many do other stuff, just like 80% of people aged over 15. Shock horror!!

On another note, just to correct the on going rants from the gettable crew and other outlets.
Owies has been offered a deal from us, a reasonable deal of 2 years + triggers. But he has been offered some much higher and longer deals from several other clubs.
I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want us to match the offers he’s receiving.

In regards to what world Noble is getting the pies pick 12. The answer is not this one.
Gold Coast do need to shed a lot of salary and get some 2nd rounders for academy players, but that still won’t make a difference.

Finally we will ask about SDK everyday for the next 10 years, just like Geelong will ask for TDK. Can’t see it happening.

I don't think he'll leave nor do I think the Cats would let him go. But I can think of two reasons why he may want to straight off the top of my head.

1) He'd actually get a game in the seniors.
2) He'd get to play with his brother.

Pretty big reasons actually.

He has another decade of senior footy at Geelong.

If he jumps ship because he got left out of some finals after a patchy year, then he’d be a bit of a sook, really.

Played in a flag in his 2nd year and has been backed by his club all the way, whilst playing in a winning side most weeks.

He won’t go, and Geelong wouldn’t let him anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back