Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

He has another decade of senior footy at Geelong.

If he jumps ship because he got left out of some finals after a patchy year, then he’d be a bit of a sook, really.

Played in a flag in his 2nd year and has been backed by his club all the way, whilst playing in a winning side most weeks.

He won’t go, and Geelong wouldn’t let him anyway.

I did specifically say I don’t think he’ll leave nor would the Cats let him go. Read the first line of my post again.
I was merely stating reasons why he would consider it... playing with a brother would be a big pull. For the same reason TDK will always be linked to the Cats.

Oh and also, he has another decade of footy whichever club he plays for. We know historically that players can get annoyed by being left out of the team rightly or wrongly.. it happens.

Walsh is still an elite runner, Daicos does the 2km in 6:30 or so - Walsh is right near 6-flat

I wouldn’t question Nick’s commitment because he runs a 6:30 - I’m a good runner by regular people standards and would struggle to cover that
I reckon I could do 6.30 if I pushed. For each km, that is.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some updates and some dispelling of dribble.

When asked why he didn’t we the time trial last year (or even complete in it) Walsh answered ‘I broke my back’ when pressed further on the subject he responded ‘it’s spinal’

img_3533-gif.2115647

When asked why he didn’t we the time trial last year (or even complete in it) Walsh answered ‘I broke my back’ when pressed further on the subject he responded ‘it’s spinal’
Outside of that, it is an absolute ridiculous notion to question his, of all people’s professionalism. I’d much prefer him to spend 2 weeks in Bali living it up than have him train through the mandatory break period, especially considering he of all people is the one to train to hard. Considering he started his preseason around February this year, I’d give him until the 3rd of January off and he’ll still put in a sub 6 minute 2km.
Ridiculous.
Oh by the way, football players party, drink and many do other stuff, just like 80% of people aged over 15. Shock horror!!

On another note, just to correct the on going rants from the gettable crew and other outlets.
Owies has been offered a deal from us, a reasonable deal of 2 years + triggers. But he has been offered some much higher and longer deals from several other clubs.
I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want us to match the offers he’s receiving.

In regards to what world Noble is getting the pies pick 12. The answer is not this one.
Gold Coast do need to shed a lot of salary and get some 2nd rounders for academy players, but that still won’t make a difference.

Finally we will ask about SDK everyday for the next 10 years, just like Geelong will ask for TDK. Can’t see it happening.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Outside of that, it is an absolute ridiculous notion to question his, of all people’s professionalism. I’d much prefer him to spend 2 weeks in Bali living it up than have him train through the mandatory break period, especially considering he of all people is the one to train to hard. Considering he started his preseason around February this year, I’d give him until the 3rd of January off and he’ll still put in a sub 6 minute 2km.
Ridiculous.
Oh by the way, football players party, drink and many do other stuff, just like 80% of people aged over 15. Shock horror!!

On another note, just to correct the on going rants from the gettable crew and other outlets.
Owies has been offered a deal from us, a reasonable deal of 2 years + triggers. But he has been offered some much higher and longer deals from several other clubs.
I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want us to match the offers he’s receiving.

In regards to what world Noble is getting the pies pick 12. The answer is not this one.
Gold Coast do need to shed a lot of salary and get some 2nd rounders for academy players, but that still won’t make a difference.

Finally we will ask about SDK everyday for the next 10 years, just like Geelong will ask for TDK. Can’t see it happening.
A strange narrative has developed from some on this board about the year Sam Walsh had.
For starters no preseason, missed the first 5 games then played so well in his first 11 games back he polled coaches votes in 9 of them and was openly discussed as almost a certainty by the all Australian selectors. Finished the year averaging 28 possessions 5 clearances and 7 tackles all while still clearly hampered by his back injury which has affected his kicking. Yes he dropped off in the last 5/6 weeks like almost everyone else in our side but Walsh is the least of our problems and most likely the next captain of the football club.

There's people stupid enough to question the professionalism of Sam Walsh? Seriously?

Would be the most professional footballer I've seen since Chris Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous.

Is Walsh’s back something that can be fixed or is it something that he’ll have to deal with for the rest of his life?

For those saying Gov failed forward.. how many games did he play alongside both Harry and Charlie? My recollection is that he mainly played with one of those guys missing and got the 2nd best defender. Still believe he’s more a forward than defender. He has zero natural defensive skill (like most of our defenders). He has a beautiful kick though which is the only reason he was moved behind the ball.

I actually remember it the opposite - he was completely lost as a 3rd tall but pretty decent when he was playing second banana. 2019 was his only year as a fwd alongside Charlie & Harry.

2019: Kicked multiple goals in rounds:
Rd2 - Charlie went off injured
Rd4 - Played with both Harry & Charlie
Rd6 - No Charlie
Rd8 - Played with both Harry & Charlie
Rd21 - No Charlie
Rd22 - No Charlie

Other games when he played with both, he was barely noticeable. He was decent in 2021 as 2nd fiddle, probably his best year for us down there.

I think you're right in regards to Gov not being a natural 'defender', but he's sure as hell not a natural forward by football IQ measures. Consistently lead to the wrong places & didn't have the work ethic for unrewarded running. Players like him and Jones thrive being in defense because they don't have to worry about that, it's a low footy IQ position - they can let the play unfold in front of them and react accordingly instead of trying to read it ahead of time like a forward has to.

He really should just be that 3rd tall defender for us who can wax on/off with Weitering for the intercept role, depending on matchups. He's an elite kick on both sides of his body, is quick and is a good size with a great leap. He's just prone to a brain fart, which every defender is. Decent coaching & a consistent role should see his defensive outputs improve.

Think Kemp & JSOS are the better 3rd tall fwd options, personally.

A strange narrative has developed from some on this board about the year Sam Walsh had.
For starters no preseason, missed the first 5 games then played so well in his first 11 games back he polled coaches votes in 9 of them and was openly discussed as almost a certainty by the all Australian selectors. Finished the year averaging 28 possessions 5 clearances and 7 tackles all while still clearly hampered by his back injury which has affected his kicking. Yes he dropped off in the last 5/6 weeks like almost everyone else in our side but Walsh is the least of our problems and most likely the next captain of the football club.
I'd rather he got 21 and hit the target more often. My only issue with him is his terrible kicking and decision making.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It doesn`t sound like you couldn`t care less about all this stuff, because you sure seem to be up on your high horse about Walsh being a pisshead, as your comments are very scathing of a player that won the AFL award for the best finals player last year and usually gives his all for the team (barring injury...)

I also cannot see how you can compare him to the other players as E. Hollands was in his first year with us and had a lot of motivation to perform, and hopefully he keeps putting in like he did as he was great, but time will tell?!! Walsh has the other players you mentioned covered fairly well, as Ollie looked like he had the "second year blues" at times this season after his stellar 2023, and the Irish kid has not had any time to show anything yet?!!.......

I really do not understand your personal vendetta against Walsh as he has always come across as the ultimate professional to me, but there you go......You are not from the temperance league by any chance are you, as the boozing seems to have really stoked your boilers.......

I do understand Carlton supporters (including me...) being frustrated with how the club has been stuck in the wilderness for 30 years, but I don`t think all the blame sits with a player like Walsh exactly.......:think:
I don’t have a vendetta against him. Long time posters would know I’ve always adored him.

I'm not too surprised on Geelong's stance re: SDK not being tradable.

I remember the way Scott spoke of him in the presser after we beat them, he and the Cats as a whole seem to view him as very much a long term blue chip kinda player and highly rate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back