Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely different types, on and off field
I was with you on that selection. Either were great selections on pre draft showings. I thought Smith had better disposal and a bit more X-factor at the time.

Interesting that at the time Smith was portrayed as the manic professional. Weighing food etc with strict diet, absolutely driven. Not sure the Bulldogs “culture” and a coach refusing to play him inside mid helped much. FWIW, I am a little concerned for Ryley Sanders given his handling through the year. Proved he could “rack them up”, while he clearly has some “learnings”, he would be a little “miffed” and being overlooked for role players while getting big numbers in the VFL.

I would not be devastated if we just trade Haynes and take four or five good and strategic draftees. We need KPD progression, dynamic small forward option, ideally classy distributing mid/utility and ideally an elite rebounding type. Would love to find a “bridging” KPD as a rookie to hopefully upgrade Sam Durdin (who remains on the list)

FWIW I don’t agree with the group think that Kempy will be deployed forward. His days in defence are not done, given logical list progression. My preference would be for Kemp to have a “utility” year, being used in every third of the ground at times. Reckon Lemmey should start 2025 playing Key Back in the twos to give us options(hopefully).

How many spots do we get? So far we have not freed up any rookie spots, with Lord replacing Mirkov. Boyd requiring upgrade should create one spot. Hopefully Duffy can replace Akuei on Cat B list rather than take a Cat A spot, or we will have no rookie vacancies. (Unless Durdin and/or M.Carroll is delisted)

Currently only three main list vacancies. Generally accepted J.Carroll and Owies will move on. Then there is the noise around Kennedy and Young.

Currently banking on five vacancies.

Haynes (would prefer genuine KPP, but Nick likely a good mentor and has a bit left)
Lindsay/Berry
Dennis/O’Farrell
Ben Camporeale
Boyd upgrade
Lucas Camporeale (maybe gets to rookie). I am not 100% convinced we find the room for Lucas, although am happy he is good enough.

We are a spot short to get that done(if Chugga and Young stay) For mine we move Orazio to the rookie list to create that room. Or change the Main list/rookie list balance.

That is without all of the rumoured and wish list trades in here.

I am convinced Austin is true to his word and more likely than not to resist pressures from Vossy and others. I can’t see many avenues to be creative and create more list vacancies. We do not have the vacancies or salary cap to make big acquisitions without creating extreme pressures for the foreseeable future.
All very well if you don't mind waiting years more to try for a flag?
The window is now.
Look to the Cats for how to get your chances and keep them.

Shuffling new players who are around the standard we just offloaded aint it for mine.

We need to get modern fast.

Unless the players you mention will help us play the thrilling sustained style we've been witnessing over these prelims?

Not sure if you've noticed our player development has been shite for a long time now?
I want us to get Houston if we can and a few other fab surprises as well.

The window is now.

Shuffling new players who are around the standard we just offloaded aint it for mine.

Unless the players you mention will help us play the thrilling sustained style we've been witnessing over these prelims?

Not sure if you've noticed our player development has been shite for a long time now?
Terribly sorry for living in the real world.

(Oh, sorry, the real world these days is “kids” who are entitled to everything without doing the hard yards. Prepared to blow up the future for the NOW)

(Oh, sorry, the real world these days is “kids” who are entitled to everything without doing the hard yards. Prepared to blow up the future for the NOW)
Well, no...not saying that. Of course we'll get a couple of draft picks. But we already have the Campo boys, of which it seems only one is really talented.
So maybe 4 newbs ...and get in a couple of ready made winners.
Every footy player at AFL level works hard!
We've unfortunately made a lot of poor decisions with injury prone talent.

Do you want to throw away the chance for Crippa and all the boys who've worked so hard over how many years?

I don't.
30 years.
I'm not ready to go through another rebuild until we've given all we can to make the most of these next few years.

Last edited:
The window is now.

This. We need to get out shit together this trade period imo
And that’s still to bring in a good kid or two, but we need to be thinking about the window where currently in as well. Smart decisions and specific needs/changes to keep up with the modern game

Tend to agree on this, would be very tempted to bring next years F1st and use it to gain another 1st round pick in this draft, if we are getting Houston we still need to have a 1st rounder in this draft.

We need quickness & players with much better skills, potentially Kennedy & Owies & Carroll may have improve our 2nd & 3rd picks and free up list spots.

The current list definitely needs a refresh & injection of young talent & additions that can make a point of difference.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there will be players battling to break into their clubs best 22 that we will look at. Konstanty, Stone, Robertson etc that could step up in 2025.

I don’t see any chance SDK happens and also doubt we will get Houston.

The draft is our friend this year imo. 3 picks inside the top 25 along with Haynes, Konstanty, Garcia, Stone and a delisted FA Curtis Taylor would be a good result and not break the salary cap.
Need to cut a little deeper, as we need further KPD (not counting Haynes in this bracket).
3 picks <25 would be ideal + Campo’s (and Duffy)
Konstanty, Stone and would take C.Taylor as a HFF = 3 forwards in, minus 1 in Owies, may need to offer Motlop &/or Durdin to ship off.
Garcia has some much needed pace but think others are more advanced there.

We already have a dangerously top heavy list dynamic from both talent and finances. Amazed that so many want to double down and further compromise the balance.

Heaven help us if Weitering gets an LTI, let alone we keep playing Charlie and Harry in a way that demands individual performance over team structures and dynamics. We also need pace, that doesn’t come from adding one or two players for the medium term.

We have a list capable of winning a flag. Unfortunately we do not have a list which can sustain the Voss playing model for 29 plus weeks to obtain the ladder position and still be healthy at the business end of the season. We rely on too few and need multiple pieces capable of “modern footy”.

Saad’s run and dare has already been blunted by the Voss way, do we expect “give it to Houston” is going to make that much difference? It will create more pressures on willing soldiers to carry the load defensively while getting 1/4 of the remuneration. Does not work for long term sustainability.

We already have a dangerously top heavy list dynamic from both talent and finances. Amazed that so many want to double down and further compromise the balance.

Heaven help us if Weitering gets an LTI, let alone we keep playing Charlie and Harry in a way that demands individual performance over team structures and dynamics. We also need pace, that doesn’t come from adding one or two players for the medium term.

We have a list capable of winning a flag. Unfortunately we do not have a list which can sustain the Voss playing model for 29 plus weeks to obtain the ladder position and still be healthy at the business end of the season. We rely on too few and need multiple pieces capable of “modern footy”.

Saad’s run and dare has already been blunted by the Voss way, do we expect “give it to Houston” is going to make that much difference? It will create more pressures on willing soldiers to carry the load defensively while getting 1/4 of the remuneration. Does not work for long term sustainability.
Agree with all this!

Agree we need a KPD.
Agree the game style sucks and is not sustainable! We have been so boring to watch.
Only occassionaly breaking oilut with dare and pace.
Usually too late in the game

I don't want us being the team left each week in a cloud of dust by all the exciting teams playing modern innovative footy.
However.
Maybe us playing with a point of difference is good.
If we made the most of our twin towers.
And if our small forwards were coached to play super smart footy like the cat's forwards do.
Invest in the best forwards coach out there. One from a winning team and one who actually played as a talented forward! Stevie J level would be nice.
I don't see how bringing in more top end talent does anything to dampen this.

Last edited:

This needs more nuance....

We need to learn to win games easily, without busting our butts....

That means the coaching crew need to get Harry and Charlie fit and 1 or both of them kicking a swag - 5 or more goals - regularly.

That means having a legitimate 3rd and 4th tall - Moir, Kemp/JSOS - taking the heat off H & C. Keeping the defenders guessing.

Of course this comes back to:

1. Playing more than 1 quarter of good footy each game (a fit Cerra/Walsh will help here immensely).
2. Better/smarter I50 delivery. Less predictability.

l don't believe this list without adding some pieces will win a flag.
We currently have a one dimensional mid field & lack quality mid/small forwards compared to Geelong & Brisbane we are well short in this area & quality tall support for Weitering, there are some gaps that need to be addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sides at our level will always want to capitalise on the talent they have to win a flag, but still needs a to be a balanced approach to list management

I suspect we will add both mature players and draftees

Our best move so far, which will benefit short to medium term, was moving on a number of injury prone

Greater continuity and cohesion is one of the most important factors in the game

Riight, so the Voss way has taken away Saad’s ability to defend at stoppage. Buck has to stop with the players for their performances. Saad has his own hamstring mental battles & calls for the ball but is in the wrong position - much like Sam Walsh.

I think it’s more the Russell effect. See what Innes brings to the table on the fitness stakes, then we may see the football we want to play with continuity out on the park (we’ve only played it in spurts).

Skills deployment coach wouldn’t go astray either + a forward line that works together/into space with some crumbers.

Imo need to be more creative in house as well, as we may have some answers to some questions on our list right now looking us in the face, regarding moving magnets around a little

Wilson reportedly has speed and disposal as weapons in his game.
Is he good enough to crack senior football next season and will Voss have to faith/trust to afford him the opportunity …

Wilson reportedly has speed and disposal as weapons in his game.
Is he good enough to crack senior football next season and will Voss have to faith/trust to afford him the opportunity …
Exactly, Wilson is one on my list I’d be looking to possibly develop through the midfield. He’s hopefully got that speed we need

Sides at our level will always want to capitalise on the talent they have to win a flag, but still needs a to be a balanced approach to list management

I suspect we will add both mature players and draftees

Our best move so far, which will benefit short to medium term, was moving on a number of injury prone

Greater continuity and cohesion is one of the most important factors in the game
Cannot be underestimated

Automatically gives the MC 3 more choices for team selection bc of form drop at AFL level, injuries, management of players etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back