Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I subscribe to the same opinion..

Sorry, but bringing in a 32y has-been in Hayes and some kids, of which x2 FS, which expert recruiters rank mid 30s - rookie, doesn’t do anything for my hope for next year…

Our list has underachieved, when it should be primed for a flag finished 5th & 8th..

Yes, we made a prelim last year. Which was a great result.. Though, we were helped by Sydney and Melbourne choking and Acres defensive brilliance…
Choking and finals seem to go hand-in-hand. Got to cope with the pressure.

Lij cost me last week, had a 17 leg same game multi $235 odds, only leg that didn't get up was lij finished on 68 fantasy points and needed 70, let's just say it's taken me a week to get over it.
6 leg same game multi- thought I was home when Danger got his goal - $25 bonus bet for $180 collect 😢

Not sure I subscribe to the same opinion..

Sorry, but bringing in a 32y has-been in Hayes and some kids, of which x2 FS, which expert recruiters rank mid 30s - rookie, doesn’t do anything for my hope for next year…

Our list has underachieved, when it should be primed for a flag finished 5th & 8th..

Yes, we made a prelim last year. Which was a great result.. Though, we were helped by Sydney and Melbourne choking and Acres defensive brilliance…

Yes, we’ve had injuries.. Though the core group Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Weitering, Curnow, TDK, Acres and Newman played the majority of the year together…

IMO, those in charge overate the list… We have some of the worst small forwards in the comp, a slow midfield and undersized defence…

We have a great opportunity to trade out some players and rejuvenate our list, but looks unlikely…

Hope I’m wrong and we can really contend for the flag next year..
When TDK is rucking, and rucking well, our midfield looks as quick as any....

Remember we got nothing from Cerra this year (2023 top 5 b & f and our 2nd best mid most of the year).

Ditto, Walshy - was a mile off his best in 2024.

Remember he was the best in the finals' series in '23 - of all clubs.

When he's fit, he's quick. As quick as Butters or Rozee.

That's a lot of serious output missing from the engine room? Two A graders essentially.

Young Lord looks very likely too. And offers Newcombe like burst too.

I think Pitto ain't up to being #1 ruck - if he can't dominate at CBBs, he's entirely useless around the ground.

Would be offering him around, for sure....

A little bit of feedback from some players (indirectly) - basically confirms some of what Soapy posted earlier in the week:

- Exit meetings were harsh - to quote 'Vossy really ripped into the players'.

- What's been reported in the press about the Matt Kennedy potential trade is basically true - said he saw himself as a mid-fielder primarily and told if that he wanted more midfield time then he was free to explore his options. Apparently was a bit embarrassed by the photos on the bench after he was subbed as, whilst not happy, he hadn't spat the dummy.

l don't believe this list without adding some pieces will win a flag.
We currently have a one dimensional mid field & lack quality mid/small forwards compared to Geelong & Brisbane we are well short in this area & quality tall support for Weitering, there are some gaps that need to be addressed.
Agree that we need those pieces.

Have been around long enough to know that what we have is enough. If healthy and deployed properly. The issue is Voss full on contested plan combined with a reluctance to rotate players through the year and rest the injured and tired to return them to “optimum”. I have seen a multitude of premiers with varying strengths and plenty with obvious weaknesses. A circumstance exists that could have us with a flag off our current list.

We are entering a window where a relatively deep list of mids are adequate. That includes those being deployed elsewhere. Even if we trade Carroll and Kennedy we have soldiers to add. Let’s not forget the return of Doc. Lord, with a pre season will be ready to hold his own in the engine room. Both Hollands boys can play through the middle as can Fogarty and possibly Durdin. Cowan is not ready for a roll change yet, but could easily be a mid going forward. I suspect Ben Campo will stake a claim for senior time during the year as well. JSOS and Kemp both have traits that could transfer to the midfield, while Binns has shown he is ready for at least a relieving role in the top team. We must rotate them

I am not 100% on what Kempy could bring in varied roles, but he is super talented and while not always consistent, has the skills, pace and agility to change us up considerably across a variety of roles. He is untapped, but I find it hard to believe so much talent is destined for a career as a “role player”. He is a little uncomfortable with structure, (I believe he struggles finding a balance between instinct and “trying” to follow a myriad of micromanaged instructions which leaves him hesitant and/or confused).

We would have to be healthy, and a couple of role players need to be at their best, but we have the weaponry already. I certainly want to add to it and prepare for the future.

I also have considerably more faith in our younger brigade than do most on here. I aspire to put together a TEAM building around that young group that is more balanced and less reliant on “stars”. We have rebuilt on elite talent and have put role players around them, some very cheap, and some very limited. The list now is focussing on youth. I have the real hope that Austin will focus on bringing in younger talent to spread the load. Not necessarily draftees alone, but players with ten years in navy blue ahead of them. Surely we focus on a depth of talent for our next generation as opposed to a reliance on stars and expectation that the footsoldiers will perform week in week out. We likely will not have the draft capital to pick the eyes out of the junior talent.

Our slow burn teens and early twenties players are now ready to contribute at the top level with some development time behind them. 2025 will see much more depth across the park except key defenders and small forwards.

A little bit of feedback from some players (indirectly) - basically confirms some of what Soapy posted earlier in the week:

- Exit meetings were harsh - to quote 'Vossy really ripped into the players'.

- What's been reported in the press about the Matt Kennedy potential trade is basically true - said he saw himself as a mid-fielder primarily and told if that he wanted more midfield time then he was free to explore his options. Apparently was a bit embarrassed by the photos on the bench after he was subbed as, whilst not happy, he hadn't spat the dummy.
Now which photo would that be?

It's a fallacy that a window remains open for a few years. There's a class divide in the AFL. The likes of Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Port are always around the mark, competing in finals. Not selling the farm for a perceived small window of opportunity, but balancing up the now with the future.

We've been predicting the demise of Geelong for a decade, but they spend a year out and go again. They're very strategic in who they target, but it's largely been their kids and mature age recruits that come through that have kept them up.

We have enough elite talent on the list. It might not be the best combination of elite talent, but unlike Essendon, we've got plenty of match winners. Injuries this year to the majority of our quicker runners and small forwards crippled us. We know these are areas of weakness, and need to supplement that. Another strategic selection like Eli or Acres would be great.

We've seen heaps of kids come in and impact in their first 2 seasons. The evident focus on development, the impact of Ollie and Cowan has me hopeful that we're now in a position to properly develop our kids.

We've only had two top 15 selections in 6 years - Walsh and Ollie. An additional 3 in the top 20 - Stocker, Kemp and Philps. Moir, Cowan and Motlop. This isn't the recruiting of a decade ago. Philps aside (crueled by injury), they're all AFL calibre players, and 5 of them projecting as 100+ gamers.

We can't keep ignoring the top of the draft. Can pay a premium for ready made talent but it's only sustainable for so long. Not opposed to Houston at the right price but we need to balance it against young talent coming through, draft capital and salary cap.
Who said we will gnore the top of the draft!
Hoping it's a balance of both.
As I wrote. But to not bring in some ready made talent would be a mistake imho.
If we could get Houston we should. If we can get Smith ..we should! If Trac then yes...I'd be prepared to sacrifice our pic. But it's highly unlikely. Even then..we weren't tslking about giving up 11 for him.
My beef is bringing in like replacements for our discarded ones. Gets us nowhere. How many years more do we need to lose?

I'm very supportive of new talent. Lij and Ollie. Lord..etc.
But I disagree with your basic premise here.
There clearly is a window for us right now.

When TDK is rucking, and rucking well, our midfield looks as quick as any....

Remember we got nothing from Cerra this year (2023 top 5 b & f and our 2nd best mid most of the year).

Ditto, Walshy - was a mile off his best in 2024.

Remember he was the best in the finals' series in '23 - of all clubs.

When he's fit, he's quick. As quick as Butters or Rozee.

That's a lot of serious output missing from the engine room? Two A graders essentially.

Young Lord looks very likely too. And offers Newcombe like burst too.

I think Pitto ain't up to being #1 ruck - if he can't dominate at CBBs, he's entirely useless around the ground.

Would be offering him around, for sure....
Agree with all of this bar “shopping” Pitto. It is too early. O’Keeffe May step up, but realistically needs another year. If we are shopping Young, we would be left with kids should TDK go down or need a rest or chop out. Another year hopefully has O’Keeffe and Lemmey ready for the top level if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2117775

Just the other day in a bar. I expect to see the same energy on here about that than there was for Sam Walsh.

INB4 “Smith is exactly what we need. Can’t have all good guys on the team, need some rough ones as well.”
People who take these photos of players at a bar and post them on social media, need to grow up.

Agree that we need those pieces.

Have been around long enough to know that what we have is enough. If healthy and deployed properly. The issue is Voss full on contested plan combined with a reluctance to rotate players through the year and rest the injured and tired to return them to “optimum”. I have seen a multitude of premiers with varying strengths and plenty with obvious weaknesses. A circumstance exists that could have us with a flag off our current list.

We are entering a window where a relatively deep list of mids are adequate. That includes those being deployed elsewhere. Even if we trade Carroll and Kennedy we have soldiers to add. Let’s not forget the return of Doc. Lord, with a pre season will be ready to hold his own in the engine room. Both Hollands boys can play through the middle as can Fogarty and possibly Durdin. Cowan is not ready for a roll change yet, but could easily be a mid going forward. I suspect Ben Campo will stake a claim for senior time during the year as well. JSOS and Kemp both have traits that could transfer to the midfield, while Binns has shown he is ready for at least a relieving role in the top team. We must rotate them

I am not 100% on what Kempy could bring in varied roles, but he is super talented and while not always consistent, has the skills, pace and agility to change us up considerably across a variety of roles. He is untapped, but I find it hard to believe so much talent is destined for a career as a “role player”. He is a little uncomfortable with structure, (I believe he struggles finding a balance between instinct and “trying” to follow a myriad of micromanaged instructions which leaves him hesitant and/or confused).

We would have to be healthy, and a couple of role players need to be at their best, but we have the weaponry already. I certainly want to add to it and prepare for the future.

I also have considerably more faith in our younger brigade than do most on here. I aspire to put together a TEAM building around that young group that is more balanced and less reliant on “stars”. We have rebuilt on elite talent and have put role players around them, some very cheap, and some very limited. The list now is focussing on youth. I have the real hope that Austin will focus on bringing in younger talent to spread the load. Not necessarily draftees alone, but players with ten years in navy blue ahead of them. Surely we focus on a depth of talent for our next generation as opposed to a reliance on stars and expectation that the footsoldiers will perform week in week out. We likely will not have the draft capital to pick the eyes out of the junior talent.

Our slow burn teens and early twenties players are now ready to contribute at the top level with some development time behind them. 2025 will see much more depth across the park except key defenders and small forwards.
I agree with your sentiments

We fell away, but 11-2 is no fluke !

We need to mix up our midfield a bit more & hopefully have a couple of players who can have a breakout year e.g. Wilson - adding some speed will change the complexion of our midfield immediately

There’s no perfect team, but what we have is a very decent team.
We just need to add more layers to our game plan & a lot more injury luck

Completely different types, on and off field

Thoughts on how his career has traveled? What you expected (before the injury)?

Harsh on Arr0w here…

He is right as both have had a massive impact on their sides, especially in a premiership year (only one player has one)!

Jury is still out as both have got injury concerns, it will come down to who is managed better. That in it self is the red flag for me, one coming back from a knee, the other unknown back issues which could flare up at any time..

I'm not criticising Arrow. Just remindeed of it and kinda hope it happens.

Thoughts on how his career has traveled? What you expected (before the injury)?

If comparing the 2 players, you would take Walsh everyday of the week for leadership qualities, comparisons to Selwood are apt

Pure football characteristics, kick, mark, disposal, run, etc, I'd still prefer Smith type traits as a midfielder

I agree with your sentiments

We fell away, but 11-2 is no fluke !

We need to mix up our midfield a bit more & hopefully have a couple of players who can have a breakout year e.g. Wilson - adding some speed will change the complexion of our midfield immediately

There’s no perfect team, but what we have is a very decent team.
We just need to add more layers to our game plan & a lot more injury luck
The layers were added which opened up other holes. Now to combine them and shutdown the pitfalls in our game.
Injuries = #1.

I think there is evidence to say the rule change mid-season impacted a few sides, which included us.

It's a fallacy that a window remains open for a few years. There's a class divide in the AFL. The likes of Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Port are always around the mark, competing in finals. Not selling the farm for a perceived small window of opportunity, but balancing up the now with the future.

We've been predicting the demise of Geelong for a decade, but they spend a year out and go again. They're very strategic in who they target, but it's largely been their kids and mature age recruits that come through that have kept them up.

We have enough elite talent on the list. It might not be the best combination of elite talent, but unlike Essendon, we've got plenty of match winners. Injuries this year to the majority of our quicker runners and small forwards crippled us. We know these are areas of weakness, and need to supplement that. Another strategic selection like Eli or Acres would be great.

We've seen heaps of kids come in and impact in their first 2 seasons. The evident focus on development, the impact of Ollie and Cowan has me hopeful that we're now in a position to properly develop our kids.

We've only had two top 15 selections in 6 years - Walsh and Ollie. An additional 3 in the top 20 - Stocker, Kemp and Philps. Moir, Cowan and Motlop. This isn't the recruiting of a decade ago. Philps aside (crueled by injury), they're all AFL calibre players, and 5 of them projecting as 100+ gamers.

We can't keep ignoring the top of the draft. Can pay a premium for ready made talent but it's only sustainable for so long. Not opposed to Houston at the right price but we need to balance it against young talent coming through, draft capital and salary cap.
Great post. I agree. Sick of watching teams draft elite kids who come in and make an impact while we shell out draft picks for mature talent. Just draft the right kids, develop them and get cheap top ups like Acres and Hollands. How good is it when someone like Cowan establishes himself in the best 23.

Great post. I agree. Sick of watching teams draft elite kids who come in and make an impact while we shell out draft picks for mature talent. Just draft the right kids, develop them and get cheap top ups like Acres and Hollands. How good is it when someone like Cowan establishes himself in the best 23.
Tasmanian and have followed a bit of cows career, we haven't seen anything of what the finished product at AFL level is going to be. This kid is going to be an absolute star, and he definitely has that mongrel. I thought we were no chance to get him but he's my favourite pickup in years. If we can keep him when Tassie come in we have a good one, a damn good one. Such a dedicated young kid too so good chance he stays.

2018 hindsight draft 1st round (ymmv):

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)

If comparing the 2 players, you would take Walsh everyday of the week for leadership qualities, comparisons to Selwood are apt

Pure football characteristics, kick, mark, disposal, run, etc, I'd still prefer Smith type traits as a midfielder

I thought your reasoning at the time was solid and respect that opinion now. That's why it's always stuck with me.

Even back then you weren't critical of Walsh just cling it like you see it.

2018 hindsight draft 1st round (ymmv):

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)

Waaaaaaaay too low on Rankine. Had a rough year with injury and suspension but showed he's a game-changer with mid rotations. Would only have Walsh, Butters, Rozee and Blakey ahead of him in that draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back