Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

He did about 3 times in a 5 week patch last year
I feel like he's done it 4-5 times in the past couple of years but I may be wrong. Probably not as often as Tuohy or Houston to be fair.
He's kicked 5 goals in his last 3 years so I don't consider it a threat at all.

Zac Williams and Jack Martin were atrocious recruiting decisions, both injury prone and lacking professionalism to perform to our expectations.
Their salaries combined weighed us down, at least one is off the books completely. Poor recruiting decision which hopefully will not be repeated.
What is the beef with Martin's professionalism? Always put in when available.

A fair slice of irony to question his professionalism when he had to source a treatment plan for his calf issues independently of the club.

What is the beef with Martin's professionalism? Always put in when available.

A fair slice of irony to question his professionalism when he had to source a treatment plan for his calf issues independently of the club.
He's had queries since his time at the Suns. Not as though he's getting on the piss all week etc. but when it came to gym work in particular he didn't put in a whole lot, which shows in his size that he's never filled out or looked like he had good muscle tone. I think he'd be naturally skinny no matter what - ala Simpson to a degree - but Simpson still put in hard in the weight room whereas Martin has been joked to be afraid of the barbells.

I think running wise and that sort of thing he's fine, but the weight room is as important.

Zac Williams and []Jack Martin[/] were atrocious recruiting decisions, both injury prone and lacking professionalism to perform to our expectations.
Their salaries combined weighed us down, at least one is off the books completely. Poor recruiting decision which hopefully will not be repeated.

You have to look beyond salary and see what picks we had to give up too - because clubs have to pay $ more for free agents and less money comparatively but more picks for RFAs and other non free agents.

In Martins case we had to increase the salary offer so that he could walk to us - which meant we had draft capital to use on Kemp and Philp. We otherwise would have given up something to the Suns which means we couldn’t have got both of those players (of course Philp didn’t work out but having pick 20 was in theory worth holding on to).

In Williams case we had to pay more to get him out and get the Giants enough comp so we didn’t have to trade with them as they could have matched. Doing that made it easier for us to trade for Saad and Fogarty and pick up Durdin in the draft.

Also in 2019 and 2020 we weren’t exactly a destination club so we didn’t have players falling over themselves to come over.

For Cerra for example we had to give up a first and a future third. But we pay him less than market value. Likewise for Saad we gave up pick 8 but we pay him less than market value and he’s been an All Australian for us.

So you do have to look at both salary and picks when assessing list decisions. Plus what the alternatives were. If not Martin who else was willing to come over? If not Williams who else?

Even last season when we finished 3rd and looked like a hot prospect for a 2024 flag run we didn’t get that many players banging on the door wanting to come over. So you do have to work with what’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Williams salary is an issue, but nit one we can afford to fret over. He plays a position of need and is best 22 every day of the week. His lack of continuity has irked many, but a fit Zac Williams makes us substantially better. He hits targets more often than not by foot, as well as having great goal sense.

If he reaches a decent level of fitness under Inness, he will also provide the ability to go back or even pinch hit through the middle. At the moment, he is our best small forward option, even half fit. Get Fog fit for the pressure (possibly Cotts too) and some continuity for Durds and Mots and we have a functioning group of small forwards. The ongoing lack of continuity does lend itself to adding a premium option through the draft.

Zac’s salary is an issue, but we are not getting a club to take it on with his recent output. We can’t afford to offload him for outgoing picks, nir can we afford to lose his in field influence. While he did initially turn up overweight when recruited, there were some extenuating family circumstances taking his focus. I do not know how his rehab efforts and fitness focus has been of late, so it is impossible to pass judgement. He seems very invested, so I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt until evidence to the contrary surfaces.

Don't agree with everything, but was just making the point... there were 6 listed on A+ salary, Zac's is on par or at the very least, close enough to theirs...

You're right about it being an issue... how many clubs are paying a small forward 850-900k? If there are any, that small forward would be putting in a lot more value in that role than Zac does for us...

Playing him forward was literally a last ditch attempt to keep him in the team... now we're fortunate that he has been able to show something there... but we could be paying a small forward significantly less for the same/similar output.

You're also right about no one wanting to take him with that salary... doesn't mean we can't trade him though... we'll just have to pay some of that salary...

Pies recognised Grundy was a problem and got rid of him, we however, are too nice/not bold enough to make any decisions like this so don't worry it'll never happen...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back