Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Shake Harder The Simpsons GIF

Main concern with Houston is for all the talk of him unlocking our ball movement we currently have 2 AA halfbacks (Doch, Saad) and 2 close to that level (Newman, Williams). Our ball movement is still poor despite having those quality half backs on our list (I know some are playing different spots). Saad and Williams we invested heavily in to bring across.

Suggests to me it's a system issue not a talent issue. What's the point of getting Houston just so he can bomb it to the wing as well?

Last edited:
Just bringing this across from the No Discussion thread...

Permission to post from a PM ...

#Bluemour

Interesting for me among this
  • will be adding to coaching
  • interested in Houston bit won't overpay, if it comes to pass
  • Owies and Kennedy possibly gone

Main concern with Houston is for all the talk of him unlocking our ball movement we currently 2 AA halfbacks (Doch, Saad) and 2 close to that level (Newman, Williams). Our ball movement is still poor despite having those quality half backs on our list (I know some are playing different spots).

Suggests to me it's a system issue not a talent issue. What's the point of getting Houston just so he can bomb it to the wing as well?
I've long been of the opinion it's far easier to kick to players who can get separation on the lead. Our entire midfield and half forward line is treacle slow which restricts the marking options around the ground.

Adding Houston who plays more of a very very high half back role will help deliver the ball to the forward half of the ground, but adding to the options he's kicking to would help just as much.

Think we need a bit of both though given Williams and Dochs move out of the backline and Saad's more defensive role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bringing this across from the No Discussion thread...

Interesting for me among this
  • will be adding to coaching
  • interested in Houston bit won't overpay, if it comes to pass
  • Owies and Kennedy possibly gone

As of last week, I'd heard Kennedy had not received any offers but obviously still early days.

I believe he is best mates with Harry Perryman so if he lands at Collingwood who knows.

Main concern with Houston is for all the talk of him unlocking our ball movement we currently have 2 AA halfbacks (Doch, Saad) and 2 close to that level (Newman, Williams). Our ball movement is still poor despite having those quality half backs on our list (I know some are playing different spots). Saad and Williams we invested heavily in to bring across.

Doch is in arguably his last year (2025) and wasnt really playing true half back in 2023 anyway.

Williams is a liability in defence and I'd say will be persevered with as a forward (particularly if Owies leaves)

Newman & Saad have evolved into more lockdown defenders albeit are both generally good users of the footy.

Houston would play that higher half back role and I'd suspect Voss would have him as our 'go-to' man to deliver the ball inside 50.

Main concern with Houston is for all the talk of him unlocking our ball movement we currently 2 AA halfbacks (Doch, Saad) and 2 close to that level (Newman, Williams). Our ball movement is still poor despite having those quality half backs on our list (I know some are playing different spots). Saad and Williams we invested heavily in to bring across.

Yeah we need to adapt from playing an extra number at the contest and trying to rush it forward, I think a few teams will be trying to move away from that style after this finals series.
Houston would only help with that though, and he's got the skillset to play anywhere. Might be weird to recruit the AA halfback and not play him there but I'd have him on the wing or even half forward.

It's definitely a talent issue.

Newman is the only genuinely elite user behind the ball.
Doch plays more fwd of centre now.
Williams is not a backman.
Saad is overrated for his disposal. He runs, he bounces, but he never penetrates the defence with his kick. They often have more height than they do length and often go to a contest.

Our best users behind the ball are McGovern and Boyd. McGovern still doesn't intercept anywhere near enough to use his kicking as a weapon. Boyd equally is focused on locking down to get free and do damage.

If you asked me a few months ago, id gave agreed with you. However after watching teams participate in this finals series, it's evident to me that we desperately need someone who can penetrate a teams defence both with run and by foot exiting our backline. These top sides all exit their defence with relative ease, all we have is panic kicking and/ or bombing it long.

I've long been of the opinion it's far easier to kick to players who can get separation on the lead. Our entire midfield and half forward line is treacle slow which restricts the marking options around the ground.

Adding Houston who plays more of a very very high half back role will help deliver the ball to the forward half of the ground, but adding to the options he's kicking to would help just as much.

Think we need a bit of both though given Williams and Dochs move out of the backline and Saad's more defensive role
Hopefully Moir and Kemp can rectify this. Both lead up players

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back