Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Doch is in arguably his last year (2025) and wasnt really playing true half back in 2023 anyway.

Williams is a liability in defence and I'd say will be persevered with as a forward (particularly if Owies leaves)

Newman & Saad have evolved into more lockdown defenders albeit are both generally good users of the footy.

Houston would play that higher half back role and I'd suspect Voss would have him as our 'go-to' man to deliver the ball inside 50.
This (include here Boyd too), along with Weiters playing at fb & Kemp playing tall, has been out of necessity because our defensive group largely consists of attack first, defend second options & behind a porous midfield that doesn't work all that well.
While there's little doubt that Houston is quality our focus on the position ahead more pressing needs has a Clayton/Dodoro feel to it IMO.

Newman is a great player and a beautiful kick but always kicks short and safe or long bombs down the line.

Saad is an even better player than Newman but also largely kicks short and sideways.. or he takes off on a run and then hoofs it down the line to a contest.

Houston not only takes the risky kick that opens up play but more often than not he nails it. People will say we don’t need another half back but the reality is, ball retention and movement off half back is one of our biggest issues. Sure we have other areas to address also, but Houston would go a long way to improving our attack out of defence. If he cops a tag then it frees up Saad to be more damaging.

It's definitely a talent issue.

Newman is the only genuinely elite user behind the ball.
Doch plays more fwd of centre now.
Williams is not a backman.
Saad is overrated for his disposal. He runs, he bounces, but he never penetrates the defence with his kick. They often have more height than they do length and often go to a contest.

Our best users behind the ball are McGovern and Boyd. McGovern still doesn't intercept anywhere near enough to use his kicking as a weapon. Boyd equally is focused on locking down to get free and do damage.

If you asked me a few months ago, id gave agreed with you. However after watching teams participate in this finals series, it's evident to me that we desperately need someone who can penetrate a teams defence both with run and by foot exiting our backline. These top sides all exit their defence with relative ease, all we have is panic kicking and/ or bombing it long.
Agreed.

Also can add that Houston will not be returning to PA in 2025. He will be traded.

Newman is a great player and a beautiful kick but always kicks short and safe or long bombs down the line.

Saad is an even better player than Newman but also largely kicks short and sideways.. or he takes off on a run and then hoofs it down the line to a contest.

Houston not only takes the risky kick that opens up play but more often than not he nails it. People will say we don’t need another half back but the reality is, ball retention and movement off half back is one of our biggest issues. Sure we have other areas to address also, but Houston would go a long way to improving our attack out of defence. If he cops a tag then it frees up Saad to be more damaging.
Disagree - when we got lit up by the Lions for example, the last thing anyone would have been asking for is ball use off a hbf given we were slaughtered between the arcs & were losing 1v1 in d50.
When we've had movement ahead of the ball, it's been one of our strengths.
The problem is how often our gamestyle reverts to slow, grind it out play down a wing owing to a lack of separation/movement through the middle. Houston does little to address that.

I’m not pumped or excited about that.

Over It Reaction GIF

I guess someone might rookie him. (knowing his medical is trash)
I could see it if you're one of those teams that finished with only a couple of names on the injury list and the squad has been historically pretty durable. That list spot otherwise might have been a super speculative rookie pick or something, so at least with Martin you might get a few good games or more, as opposed to none.

"Seems Martin talk is media talk. Not much interest and if so medical will be issue." - From "No Discussion"

How is it media talk if he's already been delisted? Re-rookie-ing?

I think it refers to him joining geelong just to pump up his tyres plus you know the media love a story thats not really a story.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

"Seems Martin talk is media talk. Not much interest and if so medical will be issue." - From "No Discussion"

How is it media talk if he's already been delisted? Re-rookie-ing?
Media talk about lots of clubs being interested in him maybe? I.e maybe St Kilda / Geelong aren't as into him as the media talks. Might be he's doing some medicals but no certainty to land at either.

Either way, he's gone from the Blues and we're not getting anything.

Possible, but highly doubt we give up pick 11, most likely a F1
I’m tipping a F1 gets Lukoscious and Port desperately want a pick in this years draft, they hold a bit of leverage here.

If it’s 11 I’m ok with that.

Our F1 and the Owies pick will get us back in the first round I think.

Our second and any Kennedy pick gets us ahead of a pick for Ben.

Picking a kid at 16 and mid 20s whilst adding Houston is very good business

Houston is the 1st part of the puzzle.

Ie. Kicking skills to pull off the kicks.

But the 2nd part of the puzzle still needs addressing and this is a coaching piece. It's players running into positions to receive that kick. Our players currently do not attempt to run into space because they know majority of the time we default to long down the line.

But the 2nd part of the puzzle still needs addressing and this is a coaching piece. It's players running into positions to receive that kick. Our players currently do not attempt to run into space because they know majority of the time we default to long down the line.

Yes, but having the personnel capable of hitting those kicks allows tactics and structures to adjust accordingly. If we get him it will be a big boost to our ball movement. Our so called pedestrian mids will suddenly start getting easier ball and not have to be so reliant on winning the contested ball. This improves their longevity as the season progresses. It has a ripple effect all over.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hate to think how much poor defensively we'd be without Saad. I'd do that trade 100x over. Genuine gun.
I think he was good aerially and 1v1, but he was abysmal at stoppage.

Lots of footage shown through the year of us being exposed at stoppage turned out to be Saad related. Not sure where or why that popped up, but it's something he'll need to fix up quick as ultimately that facet of the defence killed us this yr. Not all on him but broadly, and he as part of it.

I’m tipping a F1 gets Lukoscious and Port desperately want a pick in this years draft, they hold a bit of leverage here.

If it’s 11 I’m ok with that.

Our F1 and the Owies pick will get us back in the first round I think.

Our second and any Kennedy pick gets us ahead of a pick for Ben.

Picking a kid at 16 and mid 20s whilst adding Houston is very good business

I think we will part with a F1, which we or Port could on trade for a current 1st

And if accurate kicks find a marking player we’re not turning it over (Walsh & MK style) and getting punished in defence.

We need serious skills work this pre-season.

Really need Crippa to have a 1-on-1 with every player to devise an off-season program to better themselves, as he does for himself and improvements made/deficiencies addressed.

While he may miss the occasional target, I think Newman is one of our best distributors whether it's an easier outlet kick, or taking on harder options

His vision is elite
I’ll add to that. His ability to read the play and get his hands on the footy allows him to distribute the ball. Underrated player for having those qualities.

Media talk about lots of clubs being interested in him maybe? I.e maybe St Kilda / Geelong aren't as into him as the media talks. Might be he's doing some medicals but no certainty to land at either.

Either way, he's gone from the Blues and we're not getting anything.
that's ok, at his age and injury history he has no trade value. Hope for him he figures it our and gets a few more years, without playing well against us

The only worry for Newman I have is age at 32 next year. Not necessarily moving him on age don't get me wrong (especially in this era), but not sure we can continue to bank on consistent performance & fitness. I wouldn't be banking on any 32 yr old fwiw it's not Newman specific.

The only worry for Newman I have is age at 32 next year. Not necessarily moving him on age don't get me wrong (especially in this era), but not sure we can continue to bank on consistent performance & fitness. I wouldn't be banking on any 32 yr old fwiw it's not Newman specific.
You’ve dashed our hopes for Nick Haynes now…

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back