Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin was out of contract, how did anyone want us to get anything for him?
Easy
His contract expires October 31 I believe. Weigh up the option of offering him 1 year (which he wouldn't like) on minimum coin and then tell him he can explore a trade if he wishes, just like Owies
Even a late 3rd rounder (believe me, the 60th best player currently wanting to play AFL may be a gemstone) would have been good either to trade or draft
We should not have ceded to his request to delist...we have given him a truckload of money for lying down on a physios bed

Easy
His contract expires October 31 I believe. Weigh up the option of offering him 1 year (which he wouldn't like) on minimum coin and then tell him he can explore a trade if he wishes, just like Owies
Even a late 3rd rounder (believe me, the 60th best player currently wanting to play AFL may be a gemstone) would have been good either to trade or draft
We should not have ceded to his request to delist...we have given him a truckload of money for lying down on a physios bed
Everyone knows he is cooked, he's worth zilch. Worth a rookie possibly somewhere at best!

I think that's a different issue. My point is about movement of uncontracted players.

The issue of movement of contracted players is also worth examining. Should players sign a contract with a club, or with the AFL, meaning they can be traded at any time without power of veto? I doubt the players association would be happy with that but it would make for a much more interesting trade period, and allow clubs to get what they need more readily.

If the AFL proposed both changes to the players (free choice of movement for uncontracted players, but trading without veto for contracted players) I wonder if they would accept that.

I have zero sympathy for any teenager/20 something year old earning multiples of what registrars at hospitals ( pick your favourite example of another profession) as in NONE- I don't care they are entertainers nothing more nothing less and supporters support Clubs I'm ( if anything) more for Clubs than players - couldn't give a toss about these overpaid kids as far as their 'rights' to choose where they wish to play.
I reckon you’d see a stack of post trade period retirements, and 1 year deals, and probably the AFLPA arguing that a contract can be ended at any time by the player.
see above

Easy
How would that help? If he's getting better offers elsewhere, there is no incentive for him to sign a 1 year deal with us. You can't force him to.

We got him for nothing through this loophole, it's incredibly hypocritical to turn around and be disappointed we're now not getting anything...

It’s about being pragmatic, he’s not staying, we don’t want him here for reasons we’ve seen over the last 5 years over and over again…the same problems every other club sees

He will get to whatever club actually has even a slight interest in him via the PSD so why keep him in the hope of getting some random 4th/5th rounder

We are not getting anything for him that’s of use at all, let’s not be pricks and let a bloke leave easily and try and find some gullible club to take him to extend his career for at least one year longer.

It’s about optics with his mates he’s played with for the last 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Martin was out of contract, how did anyone want us to get anything for him?

Regarding Martin, I think this is a case of the club looking out for a player, which helps build a culture of trust. It shows the locker room and any potential recruits that the club genuinely supports its players.

Martin’s agent may have requested that he be delisted rather than traded. While the club might have secured a 3rd or 4th round pick in a trade, they likely agreed to the request because they could feel partly responsible for his injuries, as well as being partly responsible for the stress Martin went through when we recruited him from the Suns. By handling it this way, the club sends a message to players and agents that Carlton is a place that takes care of its own.

It's only a small gesture, but it could go a long way in attracting future talent on the basis we throw a dog a bone every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As unlikely I feel it will be, Trac doing a u-turn and deciding to leave would not surprise me either. I think letting him go overseas and miss the BnF as well as looking to seek to listen to him are all behaviours to calm the situation and Christian. Roffey is the only head that has rolled, let’s be honest that is due to her own lack of due diligence and lack of care, and I don’t know if Melbourne have the balls to pull the trigger on anything else he feels isn’t quite right.

If somehow it became Houston or Petracca we are picking to spend our trade collateral and resources on if both are in the market, I’m picking Petracca every day. I still think if Houston lands here, and I’d be pretty happy about that, i still make sense of it as Saad, Doc, Newy are all aging and nearing the end of their careers.

It's remarkable that people throw the Williams example up without any context.

We recruited Zac in 2020 as a free agent. Hence no draft cost . As a result you generally have to pay more in salary.

In 2019 Zac played 24 games including a grand final for the Giants and had an exceptional year. Due to injuries in a star studded midfield he played mid in a close win over the pies in a prelim and was close to best on. It was not entirely unreasonable to believe that he could become a full time mid.

We were hardly a destination club in 2020. It's not like we were being over run by players beating down the door to play for us. We would sack our coach at the end of 2021.

Despite what Mitch Cleary might say nobody knows what Zac's salary is. It might also have been front ended or back ended. To hear Mitch Cleary say that he's on close to X amount this year us just pure speculation.

By all means people can deem the move as a failure retrospectively. But the vast majority on here at the time were very keen for the reasons outlined above.
Yeah...but the narrative...

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone knows he is cooked, he's worth zilch. Worth a rookie possibly somewhere at best!

Agreed. Waste of everyone's time trying to hang onto him for a 4th round pick in return. He's just missed the entire season with repeated soft tissue and is pushing 30.

We got him for nothing - he leaves for nothing. Who cares?

Well Dodo would - he'd be demanding a first rounder.

Easy

GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Physical Therapy Exercise GIF by Weeda & van den Berg

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Studios 2016

It’s either a leg spin or an off spin that gets trotted out, depending on what suits the argument. TheReal99prelim ;)

Easy

At his age, with the contract he'll be offered we would not get a compensation pick.
I guess we cant really bluff with salary either, even at 1 year because there's a fair chance other clubs would pass and we'd have to pay the overs.

EDIT: Unless he got his body right, then he'd be worth a 1 year contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back