Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big win for the Pies if true.

Am I missing something with noble? 180cm running defender that averages >20 touches per game. 28 next year. Barely best 22 at pies. Seems like your classic fringe player.
Was dropped on the eve of their finals and flag year, wasn’t considered in their best…

I think we will be greatly improved. You get Walsh Cerra Docherty Silvagni McKay Charlie Durdin Boyd Motlop Fogarty TDK Williams fit and we are better already and by a lot

Elijah Ollie (to HB) Kemp Cowan Cincotta will get a lot better

I see Lord Binns O'Keefe Moir Wilson as pushing for Best 22 spots

Then there is what we add. Pick 12, maybe another first round pick, Haynes, Campo twins and a couple of role players. We aren't losing anyone that makes us worse

IMO the key is fitness
Problem is, we have to factor in injuries in some way shape or form as it's the Carlton way unfortunately ( particularly in the last decade or so) can't remember us having a good run at it to be honest

So now Houston is a “game changer”? All I’ve seen from the fanbase the last few weeks has been “just a half back flanker”, “not worth 2 first rounders”, “we don’t need him”.

Are we being serious here?

Are you suggesting the fanbase is of a hive mind, or is it possible these are different opinions from different fans you are seeing?

Problem is, we have to factor in injuries in some way shape or form as it's the Carlton way unfortunately ( particularly in the last decade or so) can't remember us having a good run at it to be honest

Always have some but not like this year

A fit TDK and Cerra alone will make a massive difference

Attended 79% of CB's in Round 0

Also averaged 74% (second most at the Pies)

The point you had deemed as contentious was mine whereby I suggested he was already a full time midfielder, which he clearly is.

He averaged 5% less CBA's per game than Cripps and 4% more than Walsh, 6% more than Hewett.

He's a full time midfielder.
Where does he go after he attends centre bounce?

I think we will be greatly improved. You get Walsh Cerra Docherty Silvagni McKay Charlie Durdin Boyd Motlop Fogarty TDK Williams fit and we are better already and by a lot

Elijah Ollie (to HB) Kemp Cowan Cincotta will get a lot better

I see Lord Binns O'Keefe Moir Wilson as pushing for Best 22 spots

Then there is what we add. Pick 12, maybe another first round pick, Haynes, Campo twins and a couple of role players. We aren't losing anyone that makes us worse

IMO the key is fitness
Yeah soap.
Feel and hopefully looks like most of our improvement might come from within.
Vossy needs to move the magnets around and try things. If he doesn’t and we go back to the same well as last year and it unravels, then I’d be scared of the potential ramifications

I'll actually be quite relieved if we don't get Houston. In Boyd, McGovern, Newman, Saad, Williams? and maybe even Billy Wilson, we already have quality ball use off half back. Yes, we seem to struggle to transition the ball from the back line to the forward line, however, I'd contend that's mostly tied to coaching and perhaps a lack of speed and running power up the ground.

Houston is a heck of player. Would make us better but we have Newman Cowan Boyd Saad Cincotta that play the same role. Then there is Wilson and I think Ollie will play down back. Not to mention Docherty.

Pick 12 and maybe 13 or similar could get us another gun mid, a small fwd, or a KPP or a 10 year HBF.

Replacing an above average half back with an elite one, does not move the needle as much say, replacing a below average small forward with an elite small forward
we were the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp across the season......

We need to improve our defense to get to the "premiership window" that Fox shows a lot. (Brisbane were the only team in the premiership window prior to the Grand Final - Making it 20 from 20 of the last 20 premiers).

Wilson Binns Moir Lord all unproven and could be a bust. Campos haven't even played a game yet mate. Moir could end up as Troy Menzel part 2. Why not go for proven players in your window? Geelong have done that pretty well for over a decade.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
One thing I’d be very confident in saying is that Moir will not be a bust.

We need to improve our defense to get to the "premiership window" that Fox shows a lot. (Brisbane were the only team in the premiership window prior to the Grand Final - Making it 20 from 20 of the last 20 premiers).
Elite small forwards add to teams defensive mechanisms further afield. Gryan Miers a great example of this frequently in his teams top runners and bobbing up to help in the d50 at times.

Ours are no where near that as it stands. Adding one would make a big difference offensively and defensively.

Always have some but not like this year

A fit TDK and Cerra alone will make a massive difference
Need Walsh to have an uninterrupted pre season along with Motlop. I had high hopes for motlop after the 23 finals series , but he just seemed to lose confidence with injury this season. Hopefully he regains his zest coz I prefer a fit and firing Motlop instead of Durdin who continues to disappoint

I'll actually be quite relieved if we don't get Houston. In Boyd, McGovern, Newman, Saad, Williams? and maybe even Billy Wilson, we already have quality ball use off half back. Yes, we seem to struggle to transition the ball from the back line to the forward line, however, I'd contend that's mostly tied to coaching and perhaps a lack of speed and running power up the ground.

If we were being offered a dual All-Australian small forward (Charlie Cameron), key defender (Harris Andrews) or burst mid (Zak Butters), Austin would likely hand over two firsts in a heartbeat. Replacing an above average half back with an elite one, does not move the needle as much say, replacing a below average small forward with an elite small forward, or adding an elite burst mid to a midfield that doesn't have any.

It would be myopic to trade for Houston in the hopes that he can solve all our issues. I think most of us agree that we need a more reliable 2nd key defender, and speed and x-factor in the midfield and forward line. Houston doesn't even address one of those needs. I think we are far better off just backing Austin in to hit the draft, and backing in our development to get the best out of guys like Moir and Binns. This is a strong draft and I'd argue there's more players that suit our list needs in the 11-20 range than the 1-10 range. Give me any of Berry, Hannaford, Lindsay or Travaglia and I'll be content.
That middle paragraph is spot on IMO.

Is there many quick pressure players in this draft ala that jones kid from GWS? Get a couple of them over all else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defence is as much about system and whole of team commitment as it is about the quality of players.

Dan Houston may not be an obvious game changer, however he’s certainly a quality AA defender for the last 2 seasons , that can have a strong influence on the outcome of footy game.

Our outgoing players are primarily injury prone. We have a next level group of players ready that we have had small glimpses of in Lord, Binns, Moir and hopefully Billy Wilson. We'll pick up some good kids including Campos.

We only have to keep our troops on the field at a level that every other team does and we'll be better than this year. And this year our TDK lead best was nearly as good as that of any other team.

The melts on here at this time of the year are amazing.

This times 100.

A (hopefully) fit TDK, Walsh, Charlie, Doc and Cerra will make a huge difference.

Add JSOS, Motts and some help for Weiters to that mix, as well as others who missed some games including Fog and Cotts..and we are looking like a very different and much improved team.

I'd say Houston would prefer us, but he wouldn't be displeased playing for the Pies
Russian What GIF by E!

Wilson Binns Moir Lord all unproven and could be a bust. Campos haven't even played a game yet mate. Moir could end up as Troy Menzel part 2. Why not go for proven players in your window? Geelong have done that pretty well for over a decade.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The old we should trade like Geelong routine. Since they won the last of their dynasty flags in 2011 (with father sons like Hawkins, Ablett and Scarlett picked in the 40's under the old system) they have won one flag in 13 years .

Due to lifestyle they were able to trade in Dangerfield and Cameron who were known to be guns. We helped them out with Tuohey. In the last 10 years apart from those 3 they have traded in Mitchell Clark, Rhys Stanley, Lachie Henderson, Zac Smith, Aaron Black, Nathan Kruger, Gary Rohan, Jack Steven, Josh Jenkins, Jon Ceglar, Tanner Bruhn, Jack Bowes, Oliver Henry and traded back Gary Ablett.

There's a fair bit of dross in that lot. Can depend on what you paid for them of course but to suggest that they are trade masters would be over inflating the actuality.

Houston is a heck of player. Would make us better but we have Newman Cowan Boyd Saad Cincotta that play the same role. Then there is Wilson and I think Ollie will play down back. Not to mention Docherty.

Pick 12 and maybe 13 or similar could get us another gun mid, a small fwd, or a KPP or a 10 year HBF.
Cincotta played great forward defence in our 10 goal win over Csts.

Pies are going all in again trading draft picks and players with premierships in mind.
It takes a very good list management strategy and some decent luck to take this approach and not fall into a deep well. Good luck to them.
Yep - fly going all out for one more with this aged group.
They will start to refresh shortly and hopefully it will be too late with all picks gone in a couple of years and with nothing to show. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back