Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies are going all in again trading draft picks and players with premierships in mind.
It takes a very good list management strategy and some decent luck to take this approach and not fall into a deep well. Good luck to them.
Yep - fly going all out for one more with this aged group.
They will start to refresh shortly and hopefully it will be too late with all picks gone in a couple of years and with nothing to show. :p

GC give Luco and 29 get F1 Col and noble

Col give F1, noble, Richards and get Houston

Port give Houston and get Luco, Richards and 29

Then we trade F1 and 34 to GC for 13 and 41

Then 12, 13 and young to Geelong for SDK and 17

Not sure who isn’t happy with this but ticks boxes for many.

And in my book, "Trading For Dummies", there are 2 chapters

Chapter 1: When the draft field is strong
You err on the side of strengthening your list and age profile for now and future through bringing in as much available young talent as you have identified. If available, you pick up some established players cheaply who fill a short/medium term need

Chapter 2: When the draft field is not so strong
You err on selling your draft hand for more established players, but you also identify some later picks who you've been watching over the year to ensure the list remains refreshed

THE $%^& END

GC give Luco and 29 get F1 Col and noble

Col give F1, noble, Richards and get Houston

Port give Houston and get Luco, Richards and 29

Then we trade F1 and 34 to GC for 13 and 41

Then 12, 13 and young to Geelong for SDK and 17

Not sure who isn’t happy with this but ticks boxes for many.
I would say in this purely hypothetical situation everyone is happy except Geelong, because they really want SDK long term

But it is fair value for everyone, I personally wouldn't be rapt if we gave up say pick 10 and 2x best 22 players for a gun half back. I was borderline unhappy giving away pick 8 (I think?) for a younger Adam Saad who I think was a better player then than Houston is now.

However, 2x AA's are not easy to come by. I just have big ???'s on him due to the presence of three other great back pocket/HBF types at Port that support him (Bergman, Farrell, Burton) Would Houston have the same influence without those three who threaten? Also, Voss/Hinkley are very good at setting up their HBF's. Newman and Saad have been great under Voss and Hinkley has had Houston and DBJ go AA under him.

I don't know, the more I hear about Houston the more hesitation I have, he is a gun though.

Not going to lie..

The more the years have gone on, the more I’ve lost faith in Sayers (& Board), Cook, Lloyd, Austin & Voss (& Co) to have the ability to deliver us a flag…

Our list has minimal flexibility, numbers and cash wise and is still littered with injury prone players…

Our coach is stubborn, insists on playing an energy sapping contested brand, that when it gets to the outside we get flogged…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me petulant and churlish but I hope it all turns to for them
The year they offloaded Treloar and had ****ed their cap I was certain they'd be bottom 4 and screwed for a while. Guess they knew what they were doing then and know what they're doing now..

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Port give Houston get:luko richards and 34

Collingwood give richards and noble get Carlton F1

Carlton give F1 and F2, 34 get Houston

GC give Luko get Carlton F2 and noble

Win win for everyone imo

When was the last genuinely “elite” player that we got in via trade or free agency?

Houston technically would’ve been one, but it js interesting to ponder.
I'd consider Saad up there. Man can seriously football, injuries limited him this season like many others

Rumour has it our list is not quite good enough but I’m a half glass full guy

DeKoning and Cerra fit and Lord maybe going through the middle after a pre-season - it’s a much better midfield then Pittonet, Carroll/Elijah or Kennedy (sometimes)

Docherty off half back - don’t spend our draft capital on a different AA HBF. We always try to HBFers into midfielders. Everybody else is doing the reverse. 2nd KPD is the area of focus, but maybe it’s JSOS as KPD? or we just need a different strategy, more attacking rather than long down line, might lead to improvement with the same cattle ?

Durdin or Motlop fit as our attacking small forward and Kemp or Moir as the 3rd tall - proper preseasons and they might yet turn out okay

I think we need a better KPD and a crumbing forward (draft more as pressure creates diamonds)

I would like to see traded to get us more draft capital - another late 1st selection in this super draft (red are my left field ideas)
  • Mids - Pittonet, Kennedy, Carroll, Binns (sell on potential)
  • Forwards - Owies, Cottrell
  • Backs - Young, Cincotta (might have some trade capital)

Our problem is we have no draft capital - no one is buying what we want to sell - perhaps we gotta be a bit more ruthless

Last edited:
Yeah soap.
Feel and hopefully looks like most of our improvement might come from within.
Vossy needs to move the magnets around and try things. If he doesn’t and we go back to the same well as last year and it unravels, then I’d be scared of the potential ramifications

Hopefully Vossy doesn’t need to move the magnets that much with a consistent squad running out most weeks for some much-needed cohesion (with everyone fit and firing)

Port give Houston get:luko richards and 34

Collingwood give richards and noble get Carlton F1

Carlton give F1 and F2, 34 get Houston

GC give Luko get Carlton F2 and noble

Win win for everyone imo
Pies are trying to offload their F1 because it will get swallowed up for a McGuane father/son selection next season. They don’t need another F1 from us.

I like Houston, but for a first rounder (F1) and two second rounders (F2 & 34) I say no deal…

The year they offloaded Treloar and had ****ed their cap I was certain they'd be bottom 4 and screwed for a while. Guess they knew what they were doing then and know what they're doing now..

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Would of loved to seen the outcome if nobody had taken Treloar & then Grundy and let them get themselves out of their own mess.

Would of had to lose preferred or better players or face breach of salary cap sanctions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back