Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Vossy doesn’t need to move the magnets that much with a consistent squad running out most weeks for some much-needed cohesion (with everyone fit and firing)
Yeah, I’m more saying leading into preseason I hope the coaches have a real good plan how to make us more elusive(mainly through midfield/forward) with the players we have at our disposal.
Which would mean training specific types through areas of need

Yeah, I’m more saying leading into preseason I hope the coaches have a real good plan how to make us more elusive(mainly through midfield/forward) with the players we have at our disposal.
Which would mean training specific types through areas of need
• Skills training (hit a target)
• Forwardline craft (working together) and functioning (coach)
• Learn to defend (again)

we were the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp across the season......

We need to improve our defense to get to the "premiership window" that Fox shows a lot. (Brisbane were the only team in the premiership window prior to the Grand Final - Making it 20 from 20 of the last 20 premiers).
I agree with your overall point, I just disagree that Houston moves the needle for us in that department. What makes him a brilliant player is his elite disposal, not being a dour defender. In fact, I think the stats suggest that he has low defensive accountability within the Port Adelaide backline. This year he averaged 0.4 contested defensive one on ones per game, the lowest mark of any permanent Port defender, and what would've been the second lowest of any Carlton defender (behind Saad). So if we bring in a Houston at the expense of a Boyd, do we become better defensively? Boyd has a contested defensive one on one loss rate of 10%, Houston is at 22%. Granted these stats are heavily influenced by defensive matchups. However, whilst I don't watch Port forensically, I've never seen Houston play on the most dangerous small forwards.

I think the biggest ground to be made defensively, is by obtaining an upgrade on Kemp/Young. However, we don't have any readily available options on that front. My guess is that Austin will be looking for a stop gap option from the state leagues, hence our interest in Charlie McCartin. Next year we might be better placed to poach a high level key defender from another club.

I think we can improve our team defence with personnel changes in the midfield and forward line. As dominant as our midfield can be, part of the reason we were so poor at defending stoppages, is that when we lose clearance, the opposition mids are being chased by the likes of Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy and Hewett. The same logic applies to the forward line, where you have Owies, Motlop and Fogarty trying to chase down the likes of Blakey.

All the out going players are shit, injury prone or over rated

Calm down
Extreme take..

I wouldn't call Kennedy shit and Owies is a handy player

We have to many of the same type which is the problem with Kennedy and him wanting to play midfield

Owies is handy but defensively on the rebound is a liability which means it's probably time to move him on

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our main problem outside trades and what not is our game plan,needs to change over the summer can’t continue relying heavily on Harry/Charlie combo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not so much the relying on them. It’s the ball movement and leading patterns. They both want to hold their ground and wrestle. Harry wrestles. Charlie wrestles and then tries to double back towards goal. Both need to learn to lead up at the ball carrier. Both have adequate acceleration to create space on their defender. Maybe it’s a lack of faith in the quality of ball coming in. Hence why Houston would make a lot of sense.

However, yes we do need to tweak things. Basically in every game we have patches where the defenders lose all confidence to take the game on and we become stagnant. Saad swings onto his left and roosts it long or he chips 15 metres sideways. Newman similar. None of our half backs actually create attacks with dangerous kicks. It’s all safe play. Either they miraculously change their abilities and playing style in their 30s or we trade or draft for exquisite ball users off half back. Our half backs are a bigger issue than most on here care to admit. It’s also our oldest line. It’s a need to address along with pace, KPD, dangerous small forward etc.

pies seem to always be at least trying stuff and we don’t seem to at all for a few years now

Could be a world where we just have our first and Haynes it feels
Williams, Saad, Hewett, Cerra, Acres, E.Hollands all in the last 3-4 years. We can't just keep bringing in players with picks (especially top ones) every year - it's not sustainable list balance wise or salary cap wise

2. Noble about right for a second rounder? In which universe? Not this one... he is a fringe player who was dropped in last year's finals series... you don't give up a 2nd rounder for that sort of player... particularly a 2nd rounder that is pretty much just after the first round

He has played 90 our of a possible 97 games in four seasons, he ain't a fringe player. Got left out of the team literally for the first time in 3 seasons in last year's finals series and now everyone thinks he is fringe.

This year, he got more disposals, rebound 50s, score involvements and metres gained than what Saad did, all of which Saad is known for.

He is a very good defender who can lockdown and also provide some ruand dash. Worth a second round pick any day of the week in my opinion.

I think Phillips would be a good get. He won the Fothergill medal as the most promising young talent in the VFL, an award won by some other very good players (Nic Newman). It did surprise me that he wasn’t given much of an opportunity this year at Hawthorn, especially early but I think he’d be a really smart acquisition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back