Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will be greatly improved. You get Walsh Cerra Docherty Silvagni McKay Charlie Durdin Boyd Motlop Fogarty TDK Williams fit and we are better already and by a lot

Elijah Ollie (to HB) Kemp Cowan Cincotta will get a lot better

I see Lord Binns O'Keefe Moir Wilson as pushing for Best 22 spots

Then there is what we add. Pick 12, maybe another first round pick, Haynes, Campo twins and a couple of role players. We aren't losing anyone that makes us worse

IMO the key is fitness
Excellent take. I'm starting to get the feeling that internally this is the way it is being seen too. We do have plenty of improvement within. I see that there are at least three categories:
  • Established players that played below their best in 2024 (usually due to injury) - Walsh, Cerra, Saad types
  • Regular players with improvement likely with experience - Boyd, Motlop, Kemp, Cowen, Hollands(x2) types
  • Fringe 22 players who showed some promise when given a chance - Binns, Moir, Lord types

So, already capacity for improvement, and then any additions (draft and right-value trades) only add to that.

Moreso the way the game has headed and is heading.

Straight up goals are less valued than ever before (an "anyone can kick them" mentality which I disagree a bit with) and pressure is an absolute must.

There's good goal scorers who just don't offer enough pressure not on an AFL list these days. That's an undisputed fact.
I'd like to see some data...

Not sure that comment really stacks up.

He averaged 2.3 tackles a game in '24, 2.8 a game over his career.

That's very comparable, often better, than most SFs in the game....

I think we will be greatly improved. You get Walsh Cerra Docherty Silvagni McKay Charlie Durdin Boyd Motlop Fogarty TDK Williams fit and we are better already and by a lot

Elijah Ollie (to HB) Kemp Cowan Cincotta will get a lot better

I see Lord Binns O'Keefe Moir Wilson as pushing for Best 22 spots

Then there is what we add. Pick 12, maybe another first round pick, Haynes, Campo twins and a couple of role players. We aren't losing anyone that makes us worse

IMO the key is fitness
Hopefully an improvement will translate into leaking less by way of points against. I’m 2022, we ranked 6th best in terms of fewest points against, in 2023 we improved to 4th but this year we fell in a heap to 14th.

Whether it’s available personnel, game plan or both. It’s a big ticket item that needs to be improved

He has played 90 our of a possible 97 games in four seasons, he ain't a fringe player. Got left out of the team literally for the first time in 3 seasons in last year's finals series and now everyone thinks he is fringe.

This year, he got more disposals, rebound 50s, score involvements and metres gained than what Saad did, all of which Saad is known for.

He is a very good defender who can lockdown and also provide some ruand dash. Worth a second round pick any day of the week in my opinion.

Sub in opening round, dropped for round 1, got back in rd3, survived due to huge injury list... dropped again for rd 17 v *...

If he's worth a 2nd round pick then Owies and Kennedy are worth a 1st...

I’m suggesting the same people who didn’t rate Houston now suddenly think he’s a game changer because Collingwood are heavily into him

Which ones?

Hopefully an improvement will translate into leaking less by way of points against. I’m 2022, we ranked 6th best in terms of fewest points against, in 2023 we improved to 4th but this year we fell in a heap to 14th.

Whether it’s available personnel, game plan or both. It’s a big ticket item that needs to be improved

I think we need to change our game plan to be the number 1 ranked defence and the number 1 ranked offence. Then we will surely succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting Austin said the other day we are interested in key position depth in defence. I read that as a mature player, someone who can play immediately not an 18 year old.

Now the Phillips link.
Why is St Kilda always linked with every target we are interested in?

I know absolutely nothing about Ethan Phillips but I suspect there's a 75% chance he's a better player than Young and a 25% chance he's just as good - so bring him on.

I’d say there is a 95% chance you are correct and a 70% chance you are just winging it. 🤣

You Brian Cooking.
butters stotch woods GIF by South Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back