Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems a barometer for us we look a lot better with him in our side
Not only that, he was becoming more than just handy before he got injured. Which unfortunately seems to happen to some of our players, start reaching peak form and then get injured.

Hopefully that changes.

I agree with your overall point, I just disagree that Houston moves the needle for us in that department. What makes him a brilliant player is his elite disposal, not being a dour defender. In fact, I think the stats suggest that he has low defensive accountability within the Port Adelaide backline. This year he averaged 0.4 contested defensive one on ones per game, the lowest mark of any permanent Port defender, and what would've been the second lowest of any Carlton defender (behind Saad). So if we bring in a Houston at the expense of a Boyd, do we become better defensively? Boyd has a contested defensive one on one loss rate of 10%, Houston is at 22%. Granted these stats are heavily influenced by defensive matchups. However, whilst I don't watch Port forensically, I've never seen Houston play on the most dangerous small forwards.

Flaggers, you are making a big point here. Did you check the 2024 stats? Houston had '1' more contested one on one loss than Boyd. One!! The total number of contested one on ones for the entire year was 10 (Boyd) to 9 (Houston).

If you actually believe the stuff you have written above, then it applies 90% to Boyd.

Houston had more tackles and pressure acts. So if houston is terrible defensively, then I hate to think about Boyd. If fact boyd played lockdown most games while houston played rebound so it literally marks boyds papers as woeful in 2024.

I think all your point alludes to is our defence overall is terrible.

we were the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp across the season......

We need to improve our defense to get to the "premiership window" that Fox shows a lot. (Brisbane were the only team in the premiership window prior to the Grand Final - Making it 20 from 20 of the last 20 premiers).
I'm not a buyer of that Fox premiership window rubbish. Lions were out of it if the giants didn't shut up shop too early or if Joe hadn't kicked a couple that he normally wouldn't against the Cats. Giants would be kicking themselves as they probably threw a flag away. From memory the predictor had come up with 18 of the last 20 winners so had already missed a couple.

It's hardly rocket science that you need to have a good offence and defence to be a strong chance. Doesn't really matter if that all clicks a couple of weeks before the finals provided you can do it when you need to.

Only people that don't get it..............

Like the coaches? He is 26 and never had a regular position or been a lock in the team and has had one top ten finish (10th). People desperately want Jack to succeed but that’s the reality.

I would play Jack as the third tall/ second ruck but if posters feel like he is not in their best team, I highly doubt it is because ‘they don’t get it’.

Why do people need to disparage others they disagree with. Can’t you just say ‘I would have Jack in my team every week and can’t wait to have him back’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic news (.....quickly googles who the hell Ethan Phillips is) :D
He's the one, who if we land him, will all of a sudden become twice the player Dan Houston is, at a fraction of the cost!! 😂😂

He has played 90 our of a possible 97 games in four seasons, he ain't a fringe player. Got left out of the team literally for the first time in 3 seasons in last year's finals series and now everyone thinks he is fringe.

This year, he got more disposals, rebound 50s, score involvements and metres gained than what Saad did, all of which Saad is known for.

He is a very good defender who can lockdown and also provide some ruand dash. Worth a second round pick any day of the week in my opinion.
Headless chook with the footy though. That's why the pies dropped him for the finals. His body goes quicker than his brain (refer O.Markov).

He's the one, who if we land him, will all of a sudden become twice the player Dan Houston is, at a fraction of the cost!! 😂😂
20241007_193208.gif

Like the coaches? He is 26 and never had a regular position or been a lock in the team and has had one top ten finish (10th). People desperately want Jack to succeed but that’s the reality.

I would play Jack as the third tall/ second ruck but if posters feel like he is not in their best team, I highly doubt it is because ‘they don’t get it’.

Why do people need to disparage others they disagree with. Can’t you just say ‘I would have Jack in my team every week and can’t wait to have him back’.
Fair point..I will delete...it was meant tongue in cheek of course

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back