Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

we were the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp across the season......

We need to improve our defense to get to the "premiership window" that Fox shows a lot. (Brisbane were the only team in the premiership window prior to the Grand Final - Making it 20 from 20 of the last 20 premiers).
Don’t think that’s right, it was the Bulldogs who were the only team in that window.

Flaggers, you are making a big point here. Did you check the 2024 stats? Houston had '1' more contested one on one loss than Boyd. One!! The total number of contested one on ones for the entire year was 10 (Boyd) to 9 (Houston).

If you actually believe the stuff you have written above, then it applies 90% to Boyd.

Houston had more tackles and pressure acts. So if houston is terrible defensively, then I hate to think about Boyd. If fact boyd played lockdown most games while houston played rebound so it literally marks boyds papers as woeful in 2024.

I think all your point alludes to is our defence overall is terrible.
I think you may have misunderstood my point. The point was not that Houston is a terrible defender, it was that a system has been put in place around him, which requires him to defend less. This was in response to a suggestion that trading for Houston would address our defensive shortcomings. He is an offensive force, not a Conor Idun or Isaac Quaynor.

I actually made the comparison with Boyd precisely because they were involved in a similar number of contests. The comparison was made to highlight the fact that we don't think of Boyd as a game changing defensive force, so why should we make the same conclusion about Houston.

Whilst I used a couple of statistics to reinforce my point, I made some allusion to the futility of doing so, when I said "Granted these stats are heavily influenced by defensive matchups". Perhaps, it was not clear or strong enough. Unfortunately, Champion Data does not make their more robust analyses available to the public, so you have to be careful when using the basic data at hand to support a claim. Hence why I framed it as a rhetorical question, rather than a definitive statement.

Just to quickly address some of the stats you brought up, I actually looked at both measures before my initial post. Pressure acts, even defensive half pressure acts are almost exclusively dominated by midfielders. I would wager that what it's actually measuring is how often a player is on the defensive side of the ball in a stoppage. Much of the same can be said about tackles. If we were to use either measure to predict the success of a defensive action, I'd imagine the validity would be quite low. In short, I think contested defensive one on ones are a more meaningful indicator of defensive prowess. Again just to reiterate, its not a linear relationship (ie. Boyd has a higher winrate than Cincotta), but it's a useful metric nonetheless.

Pies are going to stick it up themselves 😂
They have an ancient list, could be a record how old it is.
Having them load up, max cap space & ignore the draft is awesome for us.
Don’t think it will be enough to be a genuine flag threat but there drop off & stagnation could be a thing of beauty to watch for years on end 😉
Geelong won in 22 with a bunch of grandads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flaggers, you are making a big point here. Did you check the 2024 stats? Houston had '1' more contested one on one loss than Boyd. One!! The total number of contested one on ones for the entire year was 10 (Boyd) to 9 (Houston).

If you actually believe the stuff you have written above, then it applies 90% to Boyd.

Houston had more tackles and pressure acts. So if houston is terrible defensively, then I hate to think about Boyd. If fact boyd played lockdown most games while houston played rebound so it literally marks boyds papers as woeful in 2024.

bit of a digression, but I thought Boyd had a shocking 2024.

A lucky to remain on the list shocking!

Our defence is suddenly terrible after conceding the 5th least points in 23' with the same personnel? The big drop-off in 2024 was defending stoppage - a lot of this is on the midfielders.

Last edited:
Philips doesn't really excite...

He'll be a depth player and that's about it imo

And that’s completely fine if he’s being brought in as a delisted free agent.

You’re basically getting the VFL’s best intercept and one-on-one defender for nothing. No draft capital and minimum base salary.

I’m very cool with the idea.

Looks like we’re rebuilding for another 10 years and going to let teams like the Pies, Cats, Lions, Hawks etc. top up their list to be stronger next year whilst we battle it out to finish 5-12th because we are worried about Tassie in two years
Yeah cos the Cats haven't kept relevant despite their average age being 50 and a half because they top up through the draft.

Lions just won a premiership with a third year player in contention for the norm, a second year player winning it, and a first year key forward having a big impact.

These teams remain good because they continue to top up in the draft while improving their list with shrewd trades. Essendon have "won" trade week for the last 7 years and have nothing to show for it. Eagles and Tigers went all in and traded out of the draft and look where they are now. If the Tigers didn't have this mass exodus and have the ability to get all of these good picks in they'd be in a world of hurt for the next 5ish years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back