Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick reminder - we need to sign Weiters & TDK.
TDK keeps tracking the way he was there is going to be absolute monster dollars thrown at him.

Bring in 3-4 kids helps protect our cap for 2yrs + we have the big bodies now to protect them as they come on.

Why people don’t believe that they can have a massive positive effect next season is beyond me.

Injury & dog shit game style crippled us, we don’t need a “major” signing to improve drastically
Agree, if we don’t change game style a big name signing isn’t going to make the difference.

The best we looked this year was a couple of games where we took the game on and moved the ball through the centre corridor. We need to further work on and persist with this game style.

My concern is that this kind of 'Gift' (a very good player who addresses one of our major weaknesses in disposal), not only wants to come to Vic but has a genuine interest (going as far as holding off on other clubs with I'm sure better offers) to land in our lap.

Port is asking too much (not way too much), but I think a deal could get done if we were interested enough.
And may well still. It's literally day one of trade epoch.

But you have to pay the piper. We've brought in Saad and Cerra with high first round picks and had a crack at free agency...we need good quality cost controlled rookies as much as anything right now.

With repect to Ollie and Kemp, we haven't drafted any genuinely top shelf youngsters since Walsh in 2018.

Not saying we have to get Houston, but we have a serious issue with our bottom 6 and our plan is to go to the draft?
I can't think of an easier way to improve our 22 in such numbers than through the use high draft picks and free agency.

Not every kid in the draft is ready to go, but plenty can come in and play a role with some elite skills in the mix.

Houston's just one good player who can kick well and intercept in a system that supports his level of pace, and it seems like at the minimum he'd cost us at least 2 good players in terms of mid-to-long term strategy.

I can't think of an easier way to improve our 22 in such numbers than through the use high draft picks and free agency.

Not every kid in the draft is ready to go, but plenty can come in and play a role with some elite skills in the mix.

Houston's just one good player who can kick well and intercept in a system that supports his level of pace, and it seems like at the minimum he'd cost us at least 2 good players in terms of mid-to-long term strategy.
Totally get you. But do you see us picking up another first round pick? Not having a go at you but a serious question. Could we get one off GWS or Lions?

Obviously we'd all love to go with two first rounds and the boys, serious score for the long term when we have Jack Ison and Ty Gresham coming in next year with Cody the year after. Great development opportunity. I just don't see us with picks for the players we need in the draft.

But we seem to keep going back to the draft plan without decent picks.

As i said, it's not about Houston

Last edited:
Totally get you. But do you see us picking up another first round pick? Obviously we'd all love to go with two first rounds and the boys, serious score for the long term when we have Jack Ison and Ty Gresham coming in next year with Cody the year after. Great development opportunity.

But didn't we do that a few times already?

As i said, it's not about Houston
I can genuinely see us going with 3 top 30 picks plus the Campo twins and Duffy, but it would cost us at least a future first, and a player or two.

We need to go around again in the draft, it's been a while and we need elite midfield and forward replacements over time.

I can genuinely see us going with 3 top 30 picks plus the Campo twins and Duffy, but it would cost us at least a future first, and a player or two.

We need to go around again in the draft, it's been a while and we need elite midfield and forward replacements over time.
If we could crack into the top ten then i'd be happy with two picks prior to the campos

On the flip side Rhino some of our so called proven players haven't exactly delivered, like Marchbank and Martin. Also players like Cerra, Motlop, Cottrell got games this year without any proven form to back up their selection and were very disappointing.

Why bother recruiting the likes of Moir, Wilson and Binns and not give them a chance. We did with Cowan this year and I think we'll continue with Moir and Lord next year.

Even Nick Austin's trade interview today made the point that we are looking to get more games into Moir, along with Williams and the return of Jack Silvagni on the forward line - a mix of young and experienced, not just overpaid imports.

Holy crap...when you hear Austin's response when asked about Owies, he'd be starting to pack his bags as we speak. 'We need list spots, JSOS back next year, want to get games in Moir, have faith in Durds and Motlop' etc

I reckons Owies is G.O.R.N. Or maybe re-rookied at best.

the window isn’t a perfect indicator like it’s touted.
It's a great indicator. If you are in top 6 offensively and defensively, you are a very good football team.

Another reason why % over the season is more reliable indicator than points from games won (considering teams dont play every team twice).

We improve our defence, we know we can score heavily, we give it nudge.

Imo little durds just needs a good run at it and then to be played on ball. Needs to be fit and part of the midfield rotation. That’s where I think he’ll excel
He's a midfielder played out of position because of the dearth of forward options.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, if we don’t change game style a big name signing isn’t going to make the difference.

The best we looked this year was a couple of games where we took the game on and moved the ball through the centre corridor. We need to further work on and persist with this game style.
our game style is fine, it is the finishing in front of the goals that is the problem. You can only ever plan to set up the shots on goal, most of it comes down to whether you kick straight or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going the draft vs something like a houston is a tough decision.

We are in a window and a draftee around the picks we will have will follow O Hollands route. Up and down but mostly beaten in his first 2 years. So unlikely a draftee in 2024 helps us until 2027. That's a tough pil lto swallow for Crippa and a flag window.

But i hate the idea of giving up 10 years good footy for 3-4 years good footy.

I think there wouldnt be so much angst on a decision like this if we had a good game plan. With a crap gameplan, we are dependent on good players and need houston. But if the MC could change it up, we dont need Houston.

And now the bummer...i dont think Voss can change unless it is by mistake...which i guess is standard if you take Richmond as a precedent.

ultimately, taking into account our transition, we need to get houston and play him 50/50 rebound/mid. For those who say he cant, think Docherty. I'm gamble he would be better than Docherty, Hollandsx2, Durdin, Motlop running through the mid for 5-10 mins a qtr.

I still think a draftee can come in and have a huge impact.

Logan Morris was a solid cog in a premiership side this year, Nick Watson and Calsher Dear had huge first seasons for the Hawks (and they owned a final). Lawson Humphries at Geelong was awesome in the back half of the year and played really well in finals.

A draftee CAN make an impact to this side, especially if the Best 22 players around them stay fit and firing.

our game style is fine, it is the finishing in front of the goals that is the problem. You can only ever plan to set up the shots on goal, most of it comes down to whether you kick straight or not.
We have a game plan of bombing it long and hoping for the best and the other 17 teams are aware of this.
The fact that we have a forward player ( Hamill) as a defensive coach , and the backline player ( russell) as a forward coach , to me , is astonishing. The system is broken so why not change it up ?

We have a game plan of bombing it long and hoping for the best and the other 17 teams are aware of this.
The fact that we have a forward player ( Hamill) as a defensive coach , and the backline player ( russell) as a forward coach , to me , is astonishing. The system is broken so why not change it up ?
We weren’t doing that for most of the season when we were winning? It was exciting, free flowing ball movement. Once players started getting hurt, and the team stopped taking risks, then it was long up the line every time.

It’s not astonishing, it’s called coaching. Every coaching group in recent history has coaches not coaching their original position

But we don’t setup well.

We have no decent delivery into the forward line, our players continue to bomb it on our talls’ heads in a contest, and our smalls are never around the fall of the ball.

It’s almost like our FWD coach has no idea of the craft 🤔

We weren’t doing that for most of the season when we were winning? It was exciting, free flowing ball movement. Once players started getting hurt, and the team stopped taking risks, then it was long up the line every time.

It’s not astonishing, it’s called coaching. Every coaching group in recent history has coaches not coaching their original position
Maybe, but when the cattle wasn't there the system remained the same with no adjustments to ball entry, run and carry, or defensive pressures. Like I said, it was broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back