Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who thinks Houston gets overrated a bit? Okay, AA half back. One of the best kicks in the comp, great. Probably his main one wood though and not especially a great actual defender (could stand to be corrected).

But he might not suddenly be so effective if he came to us with our static movement and lack of separation up field anyway. Would move the needle a bit for sure (hate how common this expression has suddenly become but anyway) but not worth it if we sacrifice necessary improvement elsewhere.

The compensation to get Houston can be better utilised elsewhere I.e. fixing the midfield, small forward, KPD positions.

With the slow midfield mix me currently have, speed off the backline doesn’t even matter. Who of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett can we see tearing forward on the counter?

We need inside/outside or outside midfielders immediately.

According to the media every years a super draft I have a feeling they have all been on the super draft
Last year the top 10 were in there own category. Then it went from about 11-25 in the next category.

This year I think the top 5 are the above echelon. Then I'd rate the next 25 picks well above last year's 11-25. Hence the mentions of superdraft.

E.g. I'd rate out pick 12 the equivalent of pick 7 or 8 last year.

Collingwood are potentially going to weagles themselves with this trade. By that i mean when weagles went tim Kelly.

Ethan Phillips is not a definite upgrade on Young. He's a possible upgrade on Young. It's worth the 'risk' IMHO.

If you have a best 22 player, there's little point replacing them with a player that might/might not be better (ignoring age, salary, injuries etc).

If you have a fringe/reserve/depth player, I think there's a good argument for replacing them with a player that may/may not be better. Upside is you win. Downside is you replace one non-best 22 with another non-best 22. I see that as an asymmetrical payoff.

Note, I also deliberately wrote 'similar state league player'. I meant a Phillips type, not specifically Phillips. I have NFI. I don't even watch most AFL games, let alone state leagues. But if I was in Blues recruitment I would be asking my scouts to find me the best KPB not on a list (or a gettable AFL-listed one).
I agree with you but with our depth so lacking in that position I really want at least one backup option that I can be 100% confident in playing Opening Round if necessary. If (touch wood) something happened to Weitering I have enough faith with Young at the level that he can do a job. Phillips I like as a prospect and if we can get him or a similar type on the list great but to move on Young for him would be a bit too risky imo.

This year is absolutely a super draft in terms of depth. There will be historic second round talents still there well in to the third round, or maybe beyond.

(Next year is not as bad as some are conveniently suggesting) Be aware that next year spots will be tighter still. A couple of picks (maybe NGA matches) and a couple of rookie elevation may well pull us up.
Probably true but it's rare for a strong draft to come after a super draft, mostly due to the impact it has on the Victorian crop getting less opportunities in that year prior.

Would Sydney do 19 and 22 for our F1 + 34? Having 3 picks in the top 25 might be better than two in the top 18...

I wouldn’t have thought so. Would we?

Give up two picks in the top 22 this year for a potential pick 15+ (if we finish top 4 next year) draft pick in a worst draft and pick 34. I am not seeing the benefit for Sydney.

I wouldn’t have thought so. Would we?

Give up two picks in the top 22 this year for a potential pick 15+ (if we finish top 4 next year) draft pick in a worst draft and pick 34. I am not seeing the benefit for Sydney.
Yeh true might have to throw in something else to make it work. Regardless will be interesting to see what we do with out F1. Feel like it just has to be moved into this draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very happy if we got Ethan Phillips. I wanted him when Hawks drafted him

He is very good defender and can find the ball and use it. Just does basics well.

197cm and at 25 years old would be a good get especially as a DFA
Agreed. Projects as an astute pickup for the hear and now. Weiters, Lewis and Ethan would give us some reliable depth. We could then augment by adding a developing KPD.

Hawks look like brilliant kicks because the kicker always goes quickly and the targets are in constant motion upfield. Houston would no doubt improve the side but wouldn't fix what is a whole of team issue.

Correct - most AFL players, including Carltons, are very good kicks. You are correct - watching Hawthorn they are constantly in motion really run hard and they quick it quickly.

That's the difference.

PS: On a similar point, there was some damming footage from our Hawthorn game where Chuggs was next to a Hawks player on our half-forward line. There was a turnover and the Hawks lad sprinted diagonally through the centre from our half forward to their half forward line with Chugga in pursuit. Over an 80 metre sprint he literally ended up about 30 metres in front as Chugga could just not keep up and took an easy mark.

Austin mentioned taking a minimum of 4 in the draft - this would make it 5 with the Campo brothers. Might depend on the likes of Kenndy/Carroll/Owies etc

I assume the plan (if we don't get
Houston) is to use 12, get another pick between 13-20, take both Campos, then a mature depth KPD defender (probably as a rookie).

A combination of Pick 33, F1 and/or F2 will be used to get the 2nd early pick + later picks for campo bid. The exact combination will depend on what picks we can get.

I don't think we will shoot for a 3rd early pick as it will likely require downgrading pick 12 which we won't want to do. Plus we need list spots for Ben, Lucas and a mature KPD.

Pretty confident Ben will be our 3rd pick wherever his bid lands.

Would be more like our F1 for one of their picks. They’re not going to downgrade the other to 34.

I'm personally not happy to put F1 on the table unless we can get a pick in the top 15-16. To much risk for a pick around 20.

If we can't get that done I would look at 33 + F2 for an early 20s pick + a later pick for campo points.

I assume the plan (if we don't get
Houston) is to use 12, get another pick between 13-20, take both Campos, then a mature depth KPD defender (probably as a rookie).

A combination of Pick 33, F1 and/or F2 will be used to get the 2nd early pick + later picks for campo bid. The exact combination will depend on what picks we can get.

I don't think we will shoot for a 3rd early pick as it will likely require downgrading pick 12 which we won't want to do. Plus we need list spots for Ben, Lucas and a mature KPD.

Pretty confident Ben will be our 3rd pick wherever his bid lands.

Given the firm stance on Houston versus Pick 12 we'd like to think Austin has a gem of a player (or players) that he knows is going to be available at that pick.

Last edited:
I'm personally happy we are taking Pick 12, and hopefully another Pick that our next years picks can get us, into THIS draft. The Metro v Country final game was imo the best quality junior game i've seen since i started watching them in about 2010. Just pipping the SA v Vic game at Kardinia in the superdraft 2019 year.

And also, i can't understand why the "go hard, go now, go all in" brigade can't see that re-signing Weitering and TDK to huge contracts is our "go hard, go now, go all in" play. The Club ARE all in. We've retained ALL our champions, AND added high cost targets Cerra, McGovern and Saad. AND free agents Hewitt and Williams. And stolen Acres, Martin and Hollands. AND we've got youth we SHOULD be investing actual faith in.

Its up to our fitness people and coaches now.

Pretty bloody excited to see 2-3 top 30 draftees as well as the Campo twins run around in Navy Blue well past Houston’s expiry date tbh
The more this drags on I'm with you.
I was excited by Houston but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket like Cerra, Saad, Williams and Jack Martin days...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I have no problems with a strategy of going to the draft...but it would need a shift in mentality by the match committee. If you're going to draft young blokes, you need to start getting games into them. We've seen with Brisbane, they've been happy to play very young guys and it's paid dividends.

Lohmann is 21 and played 35 games. Ashcroft is 20...31 games with a knee reco in there. Logan Morris is 19. Fletcher is 20 and played 41 games. Wilmot 21 and played 56 games.

The fact Moir has only played 2 games is criminal. Some players look like they belong when the standard of the competition goes up and he clearly showed he's not out of place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back