Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no problems with a strategy of going to the draft...but it would need a shift in mentality by the match committee. If you're going to draft young blokes, you need to start getting games into them. We've seen with Brisbane, they've been happy to play very young guys and it's paid dividends.

Lohmann is 21 and played 35 games. Ashcroft is 20...31 games with a knee reco in there. Logan Morris is 19. Fletcher is 20 and played 41 games. Wilmot 21 and played 56 games.

The fact Moir has only played 2 games is criminal. Some players look like they belong when the standard of the competition goes up and he clearly showed he's not out of place.
Lohman is 21 and has played 35 games. Moir wasn't ready when he arrived at the club. By the end of his 3rd year he will have played 35 games. This get games into them sure didn't work for LOB and Dow. Nothing wrong putting in good games in 2s before getting your chance.

That said Binns did deserve a go well before he got his chance.

I have no problems with a strategy of going to the draft...but it would need a shift in mentality by the match committee. If you're going to draft young blokes, you need to start getting games into them. We've seen with Brisbane, they've been happy to play very young guys and it's paid dividends.

Lohmann is 21 and played 35 games. Ashcroft is 20...31 games with a knee reco in there. Logan Morris is 19. Fletcher is 20 and played 41 games. Wilmot 21 and played 56 games.

The fact Moir has only played 2 games is criminal. Some players look like they belong when the standard of the competition goes up and he clearly showed he's not out of place.

He was a mile off it in the VFL for alot of the year. Played a few ok games. Then got a quarter off the bench in the last 2 games because we had injuries and that's all he's fit enough for.

Don't get me wrong. I like him as a prospect but the coaches would have needed rocks in their heads to play him earlier in the year.

Cowan and Hollands have played heaps of games in their first 2 years. I do think Binns should have played more games.

Those Lions players you mentioned all performed well in the vfl. Ashcroft is a top 3 draft pick and would be playing every week for us as well.

How many games did Lohmann play in his first year?

To be fair, Ollie Hollands has played 42.
Cowan 24, 17 or which were this year.

Moir came to us injured. He wasn’t fit enough to play games this year. Hopefully he has a big preseason and plays a lot of AFL footy next year.

This year is absolutely a super draft in terms of depth. There will be historic second round talents still there well in to the third round, or maybe beyond.

(Next year is not as bad as some are conveniently suggesting) Be aware that next year spots will be tighter still. A couple of picks (maybe NGA matches) and a couple of rookie elevation may well pull us up.
We have greater flexibility next year with all the OOC names..

If we fail again, we may go hard to refresh the list…

Lloyd, Voss, Austin and the OOC players maybe feeling the heat next year.. With their protectors Sayers and Cook gone…

I do think we need to improve our vfl team though. It was a disaster most this year and very hard for our youngsters do develop in. Less injuries in the 1s will help but our vfl list is also not up to scratch.

In hindsight the reserves side was the canary in the coal mine when the seniors were flying mid-season

Ok so my interpretation of current trade backlog is:

Barass to Haw needs to happen for Baker to WCE.

Baker to WCE will inform both Rioli and Bolton trades so while they are not "on hold" until it's done, Richmond may want to use a pick out of that deal

Rioli trade needs to be clarified before Gold Coast can do Pick 13 trade with Collingwood for Noble.

That holds up Houston at the moment.

Houston needs to happen or definitely not be happening before Lukosious goes ahead.

Richards is also waiting on this.

Bolton deal will heavily affect Richmond's pursuit of a trade up scenario, they are probably competing with Saints for North or WCE top 3 picks.

This also leaves pick 11 hanging as this pick may be traded out by Freo if Bolton doesn't happen

Bailey Smith to Geelong should happen, but the price details may take some time. Macrae deal will be afterwards if it does happen. Given Macrae's contract, you'd think the asking price wouldn't be super high.

Matt Kennedy to Saints, if it were to happen will depend on what goes on with Macrae.

Ivan Soldo probably also waiting on the Macrae situation.

James Peatling to Crows seems to be a little way off in terms of how the clubs see the value.

Shiel and Stringer to the Giants shouldn't be too hard, but needs to wait on Peatling. Both are players past their peak on big contracts, Bombers should be asking for points this year to lock in Kako.

First Dominos would be either Bailey Smith or Tom Barass.

After those things should start happening

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with a lot of your points but Moir was nowhere near ready. Had a couple of great cameos late in year when we had no one else but he simply wasn't ready for AFL football during the year

Next year names like Lord, O'Keefe, Moir, Wilson, Lemmey will get another pre season under them and should be right to play. It will be interesting to see how quickly this years draftees along with Campo twins step

I do hope next year Voss & Co have a bit more faith in our younger group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow will drag too, Austin may twitch on Monday or Tuesday, but I'm not expecting much. We're not proactive, cant be, we're curtailed by lack of salary cap mobility.
Let's hope our list develops organically and we see some real positive impact from GW especially once Cook and Sayers depart end 2025.

I agree with a lot of your points but Moir was nowhere near ready. Had a couple of great cameos late in year when we had no one else but he simply wasn't ready for AFL football during the year

Next year names like Lord, O'Keefe, Moir, Wilson, Lemmey will get another pre season under them and should be right to play. It will be interesting to see how quickly this years draftees along with Campo twins step

I do hope next year Voss & Co have a bit more faith in our younger group

Agree, I’d love to see Lord, Binns and Moir, get regular game time.. Wilson to develop a little more, play mid year…

But just don’t see Voss going away from his backing of senior players…

Lord - Midfield
Binns - Wing
Moir - 3rd tall forward
Ollie - HB

Morris only played due to the amount of forward line injuries. Lohmann was the sub early, and only ended up getting as many opportunities as he did because of McCarthy getting hurt

Not sure why you would throw Moir in with those names.

Lohmann played 2 and 6 games first 2 years. Wilmot 3 in his first year. Fletcher 14 and Ashcroft 18, but both highly touted. Morris was out of the box, I really rated him and couldn't believe his late ranking/selection

Moir was coming off a poorly diagnosed hip injury from his draft year, so we eased him into the preseason and early parts of the season

He then shed weight as they ramped up his workload, improved his fitness and started impacting VFL level

The club have always rated him highly, nothing wrong with a controlled approach

Ollie and Cowan also played early. Ollie has done well, despite some inconsistent patches. Cowan needed to work on some aspects of his game, hence returning a number of times back to VFL level

There isn't a magical set formula of when kids play or find consistency

Correct - most AFL players, including Carltons, are very good kicks. You are correct - watching Hawthorn they are constantly in motion really run hard and they quick it quickly.

That's the difference.

PS: On a similar point, there was some damming footage from our Hawthorn game where Chuggs was next to a Hawks player on our half-forward line. There was a turnover and the Hawks lad sprinted diagonally through the centre from our half forward to their half forward line with Chugga in pursuit. Over an 80 metre sprint he literally ended up about 30 metres in front as Chugga could just not keep up and took an easy mark.
To be fair we had six players get injured during the game against the Hawks (Martin and Fogarty were done by quarter time) and Boyd was done early couldn't run but had to stay out there in the forward pocket.

From memory we had the record least interchanges that day. Blokes who normally play 70% TOG had to play 100%. You could probably find mountains of similar footage from that day.

He wasn't rated any higher then Cerra or LDU broadly speaking. 3,4,5 was always going to come down to who had the pick and individual club preferences.

Brayshaw was actually considered behind that group most the year but jumped to 2 late based on character more then anything. Was seen to have less upside then the other 3 but a safer pick.

I think SOS went Dow and Obrien as he was after certain types more then anything. Dow was the inside mid with pace we lacked and LOB the outside runner. LDU actually plays much quicker now then he did as a junior and Cerra was always pretty slow.
I seem to recall that LDU was rated right up around the Pick #1 convos that year, at least in his U17 year and at the start of his U18 year, maybe he fell to be around consensus group in the 3-5 range by the end but I remember him being higher touted than Dow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back